FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, Reef TV, KREM, and CTV 3. Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, Belize Now, Talk Ah Di Town, and other specials.

The San Pedro Sun

Wolfe’s Woofer: God’s House
“We have another guest coming for the cookout,” Neil said. “I hope you and Sherry don’t mind.” “Of course not,” I told him. “We’re your guests. As long as he doesn’t eat all the barbecue and drink up all the beer, I don’t mind.” “No worries there,” Neil said. “He’s a young priest who has taken a parish on the mainland. Susi met him on the ferry and invited him for dinner.” Neil and Susi are our good friends who moved to Ambergris Caye from Louisiana in the U.S.

Doctor Love: Perturbed
Dear Doctor Love, On the referral of a friend, I hired a girl to tidy up and clean the kitchen and bathrooms. We agreed on seven half days and one full day a month and I pay her a very generous salary that includes lunch and taxi fare. After she left the third time, I noticed a piece of jewelry wasn’t where I normally keep it. I couldn’t be certain I had put it back but then I searched everywhere, and I haven’t been able to find it. When she came again, I asked her about it and she denied seeing it, so I let it go thinking I had lost it myself.

Various Belizean Sources

mzz

Duck Run 2 inaugurates new facility at St Joseph R.C. School
St Joseph R.C. School inaugurates new building. For the last six years, the school buildings had become deteriorated. The Village of Duck Run Two received assistance from Spanish Lookout and other donors. Two fundraising activities were also held and over $50,000 was raised. Duck Run 2 Villagers, men and women donated half the cost and also worked on the project to see the facility reach completion. The building will be inaugurated on Sunday, November 10th, 2019. Congratulations Duck Run Two.

Belize Birth Rate
Fact Check: On average, around 20 babies are born every day in Belize, most of them within the public sector hospitals. The work of the health staff, particularly nurses midwives in this regard is for the most part unacknowledged - the vast amount of babies delivered safely and in accordance with established standards. Kudos to all the health staff across the country for the tireless efforts 24/7.

Belize EntreCon V
It's Entrepreneur Month, and Beltraide has many events planned, with it all culminating with the 5th annual EntreCon, which will be on the 29th. Check out their listing of entrepreneurial events at their website. "The National Entrepreneurship Convention [#EntreCon] is the leading entrepreneurship event aimed to gather all industry stakeholders, including government, business support agencies , professionals and academia, to discuss trends and challenges facing entrepreneurs in Belize.

Corroncha Son Concert
Corroncha Son will be performing at the Wildfire Artzmosphere on Saturday, November 23rd. Check out their performance of Sulaita on Youtube. "Get into the groove NOV 23 live music ..."

Ya’axché and Oceana Belize collaborated to provide a presentation on plastic pollution and clean-up activity at Big Falls primary school
The 45 participating students learned about the effects that plastics have on our environment and the wildlife found both on land and in the Caribbean Sea. Although single-use plastics are a global problem, individual action is an important part of the solution. After the presentation, which the students were attentive to, a clean-up activity was done on the school compound. Analee Chuc (Oceana Belize), Evarista Sho (Ya’axché Education & Outreach Officer) and Julio Chub (Ya’axché Community Laiason Manager) are grateful of the opportunity to raise awareness on plastic pollution at Big Falls, a community in the Maya Golden Landscape.

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

Mexico and Central America agree on refugee plan
As of mid-2019, Belize’s population stands at approximately 392,000. By the count of the United […]

Brazil ex-President Lula walks free from jail
BBC News reports that former Brazilian President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva, known as Lula, […]

Belmopan family seeks public help locating missing relative
The family of Belmopan native Jacklyn Bennett needs your help in locating her. Bennett, better known […]

P.U.P.’s Briceño dares “coward” Gaspar Vega to get back in politics
They are the scions of their powerful Northern families, and there is no love lost between […]

P.U.P. leader makes light of U.D.P. leadership “show” but says people have decided
Despite their respective shows of support, does it matter who is the next leader of the […]

Extended tax amnesty should benefit smaller owners, says Opposition leader
The Ministry of Natural Resources has extended the deadline for a land tax amnesty passed […]

Fourth Belize Strong Man & Woman competition coming to Ladyville
The Belize Body Building and Fitness Federation (BBBFF) is inviting the public to the fourth […]

University of Belize and Inter-American Development Bank host climate change seminar
This week, 16 professionals in the field of engineering and land use management completed a […]

Battle of the Drums returns to Punta Gorda this weekend
Punta Gorda Town is the place to be next weekend for the annual Battle of the […]

Police investigating double shooting
The Belize Police Department has launched an investigation into a shooting incident in Belize City last night that left two people injured […]

Blogs

Jankunu Festival Of The Garifuna
Jankunu, also known as John Canoe in English, is the HABINAHAN WANARAGUA Festival of the Garifuna of southern Belize. According to tradition, this festival is rooted in male secret societies of West Africa, Poro, and Egungun, which was where most of the African slaves were taken by the British and forcibly brought to British Honduras to fuel their exploitation of the logwood trade. The name comes from “Alusi”, a deity of the Igbo people. Until perhaps the last decade or so, this exotic ritual was almost a well-kept Belizean secret, and mostly only in southern Belize. This impressive art form is an amalgam of music, dance, mime and cultural symbolism in a formidable display of male supremacy, likely to reinforce their resistance to slavery.

Let’s Celebrate the Garifuna Culture!
The 19th of November is a National Holiday in Belize. It is the day that the country commemorates the arrival of the Garifuna people to its shores. The Garinagu have greatly contributed to Belizean culture. In 2001, UNESCO (the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization) declared the Garifuna culture a “Masterpiece of the Oral and Intangible Heritage of Humanity. However, keeping the traditions and language alive has been a rising concern. The loss of such a beautiful culture would be devastating not only to Belize but to the world. Luckily, organizations such as The National Garifuna Council and The Battle of the Drums initiative are making efforts to prevent this from being a reality.

An Ocean Bar Offers A Life Of Fun In Caribbean Belize
We had come to Ambergris Caye—Belize’s largest island—on our honeymoon and loved it. We spent our time diving, fishing, and exploring the cays and atolls. The waters and reefs were incredibly beautiful and we instantly fell in love with the island and its friendly people. Another big plus is that English is the first language. By 2007, we were seriously considering a move and in February that year, we found a local watering hole for sale on Ambergris Caye. The next week, we flew down to take a look at it, and the rest is history. In buying the bar, we’d gone totally out on a limb. We arrived with nothing but our determination, hopes, dreams, and of course, our bartender guide book. Our goal was to find a niche and create own our little piece of paradise.

25 Things that create the Belize experience
While you might find a few of these things elsewhere in the world.....most of these are part of what makes the Belize experience so memorable and unique! 1.) There’s a napkin wrapped on every beer ...and you order a beer by saying, "I'll have a beer" (beer=regular Belikin) sarahandduncantravel.wordpress.com 2.) Fry jacks - sometimes as big as a football and stuffed with tons of stuff 3.) Belikin Beer 4.) Puddle jumpers

Death and the Journey
Ancient people from around the world share similarities in ideology and afterlife beliefs, even though they never communicated, interacted or they simply lived in different time periods. There are many mythological realms and places we go to when we die and that varies from culture to culture. The Ancient Romans had Tartarus, a place where evil souls go to be tortured, and the Fields of Elysium, the place where wariors and normal citizens souls go. In Judaism, there is a place for the souls that are not prepared, a place similar to a purgatory or limbo, where souls go through a period of reconciliation and are shown how their lives could have been different and better. They need to be cleansed first then move on to their peaceful place with God. We have the Christian belief with a hell where Satan reigns supreme, where the souls of the damned go to suffer and be tormented in a fiery pit under the earth for all of eternity, and heaven, where God the Father is and where there is no more pain and suffering.

Your Guide to Belize Vacation Packages
Belize is small but it is an incredibly diverse travel destination. And whether you travel alone, in a group, with family members, or just a partner, knowing where to go, what to do, and for how long, is key to having a great time in Belize. In other words, the right Belize vacation package can make or break your trip. Typically, I recommend spending a minimum of one week in Belize and visiting at least two destinations. And which destination or destinations you choose to visit should depend a lot on the experiences that you want to have! To help guide you, here are the top Belize vacation packages highlighting the best locations in Belize.

International Sourcesizz

Belizean assaulted and stabbed while at Felipe Carrillo Puerto in Quintana Roo, Mexico
A man was injured with white gun in Felipe Carrillo Puerto, he was found lying on the public road with the injury in the neck and chest a sunken knife, according to the victim of an assault. The incident was recorded near 6:00 in the morning of today, on avenue 66 between 75th street and 77, was lying with the knife embedded in his chest and an incision in the neck.

Bolivian president Evo Morales resigns after election result dispute
Evo Morales has announced he will resign as president of Bolivia after the military called for him to step down and the police withdrew their support following weeks of unrest over disputed election results. In a televised address, Bolivia’s president of nearly 14 years said he was stepping down for the “good of the country” but added in an attack on opponents whom he had accused of a coup attempt: “Dark forces have destroyed democracy.”

Videos

• Red Rump Tarantula, 2min.

• 14th Belize International Film Festival Closing Night - Awards/Concert, 90min.

• Caye Caulker, Belize Vacation 2019, 7min. Take a tour of Caye Caulker, Belize. The best island in the world! Amazing food, drinks and people.

• Exploring Ambergris Caye: San Pedro, Belize, 12min. Exploring Ambergris Caye: San Pedro, Belize. I explored the beautiful island of San Pedro in Ambergris Caye, Belize. We rented golf carts to get around town, stayed at PUR Boutique Cabanas, and watched the sunset, while eating a delicious meal at Rain Restaurant & Rooftop Terrace.

• Diving and Snorkeling Belize- Silk Caye, Belize- Go Sea Dive Shop, 9.5min. My favorite part of visiting Placencia, Belize was our diving/snorkel trip to Silk Caye. We saw so many sharks, rays, and turtles oh my! There was also a very angry eel the Divemaster's warned me about in advance, I named her Karen. They think she used to be fed, which is why she goes up to divers and acts like she is going to bite them. The Dive Masters and Dive Shop Staff were wonderful, I would highly recommend GO SEA Dive Shop.

• ASECFW Belize 2016, 7.5min.