FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, Reef TV, KREM, and CTV 3. Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, Belize Now, Talk Ah Di Town, and other specials.

The San Pedro Sun

Wolfe’s Woofer: Tell the Truth
Mario said, “I miss Vernon since Yolanda won’t let him go night fishing with us anymore.” The snappers were running and Mario and I had been fishing down by the bridge since dark. By nine o’clock we had a nice catch that we were cleaning on the concrete seawall. “Speak of the devil,” I said, “and there he is. Hey, Vernon.” “Hey, Mr. Dennis,” Vernon said. “I was hoping to find you here. I want to catch a ride home.”

NEBL set to tip off in January 2020, San Pedro Tiger Sharks ready to defend their title!
Basketball aficionados can look forward to another exciting season of the National Elite Basketball League (NEBL) Tournament set for January 18, 2020. The first game of the season will be between the 2019 defending Champions San Pedro Tiger Sharks and Belize City Defenders at the Angel Nuñuez Auditorium commencing at 9PM. The 2020 season will see a new team hailing from Punta Gorda Town, Toledo. The Punta Gorda Panthers will join the seven other teams (San Pedro Tiger Sharks, Verdes, Belize City Defenders, Belize Hurricanes, Belmopan Bandits, Orange Walk Running Rebels, and Dangriga Dream Ballers), who are gearing up for the competition.

Doctor Love: Desperate Mom
Dear Doctor Love, I am really worried about my fourteen-year-old daughters’ reaction to this uproar about climate change. She has always been sensitive and her focus on various ideals can border on obsessive, but she is making herself sick over this issue. She is very well read on the movement with that Swedish girl and when I try to calm her down, she argues with me and says I don’t care and am uneducated on the topic. I want to help her, but I don’t know how. If I try to reassure her or tell her she is over-reacting, she fires back with all this stuff about global warming, melting Artic ice and habitat loss. How do I make my little girl feel safe and secure and hopeful for her future?

Various Belizean Sources

mzz

Casa Picasso & Black Orchid Restaurant Partner Up!
Casa Picasso & Black Orchid Restaurant have Partnered to bring you Air Conditioned Fine Dining in Unique Settings. Hope you can join us soon. Tuesday through Saturday Happy Hour Afternoons with Dinner Service at 5p. Reservations Recommended at 226-4443.

Missing person in Corozal
The Belize Police Department is seeking the assistance of the general public in identifying this female. She was found in Corozal Town and gives her name as Antolina Chan 68-year-old, Belizean, of San Ignacio. Kindly call 911 or 922 if you can assist with identification.

BEL services and payment options on San Pedro, Ambergris Caye

Your Invitation to Celebrate Garifuna Settlement Day in the Corozal District
The National Institute of Culture and History (NICH), through the Museum of Belize and the Corozal House of Culture, and in collaboration with the National Garifuna Council - Libertad Branch is pleased to invite you to celebrate Garifuna Settlement Day in Corozal. We are offering community members a free excursion to Libertad Village to witness the Yurumein (reenactment of the arrival of the Garifuna to Belize's shores). This will be followed by a Mass and celebrations including cultural performances with delicious Garifuna cuisine available for purchase.

The Winners of the 2019 Belize International Film Festival are…
The National Institute of Culture and History, through the Institute of Creative Arts and the Film and Media Arts Unit, held the Closing Awards Ceremony for the 14th Edition of the Belize International Film Festival’s Awards on Sunday, 10th November at the Bliss Center for the Performing Arts. The event was hosted by Mr. William Neal and filled with engaging performances by the National Youth Orchestra of Belize. Awards were presented by Chris Pack, Natalie Thompson and Daryl “Chill” Mitchell, the Jurors, to the Winners in the Feature Narrative, Feature Documentary, Short Documentary, Short Film, Belizean Short Film, Branded Entertainment and Music Video categories.

The Reporter

Proposal Made for Fewer Bullets for Gun-holders
Persons who hold gun licenses may very likely not be allowed to legally purchase as many bullets as before. This comes as a result of a new proposal which the Ministry of National Security has made for amendments to the Firearms Act.

Police Make Arrest For Murder Of Jiovanni Lennan
Denver Bevans, 18, a fisherman was arrested and charged on Saturday for the murder of firefighter, Jiovanni Lennan. Lennan was shot multiple times as he came out his girlfriend’s house on Welch Street on Thursday night.

Deliveryman Shot In Belize City
Delivery man, Issa Nunez, 37, of Curl Thompson Street, Belize City is in a stable condition with a gunshot wound to the right thigh after one of two thieves tried to rob him. The incident happened around 2:30 on Saturday afternoon while Nunez and his son were sitting inside his parked vehicle on St Thomas Street in front of Bernice Yorke School.

Orange Walk Salesman Targeted in Old Capital
A salesman of the Orange Walk District narrowly escaped injury when his delivery truck was shot at on Saturday evening in Belize City. Jesus Cuellar, 25, who resides on Delta Street in Orange Walk was reportedly delivering ice at New Hope Store on Baymen Avenue in Belize City around 5:20 p.m., when a youth arrived on a motorcycle and fired several shots.

Broad Daylight Home Invasion!
Two women are receiving treatment and are in stable condition at the KHMH after they were attacked and wounded yesterday afternoon in a home invasion in Belize City. The incident at #36 Rio Grande Crescent sometime around 1:30 p.m., left Elvia Cal, 37, and Maria Pinto, 42, with stab wounds.

Tit For Tat !
By: Dr. Abigail Joseph - Belize is considered a culturally diverse country. We are ALL different in our own way. We think differently, we see things from different angles and we interpret the same things differently. Imagine going to an art gallery.

Traffic Accident In The South Claims Life
A man was knocked down and killed late last night in Hopkins Village, Stann Creek. The incident happened around 11:00 p.m., one mile south of the village, and claimed the life of Stephen Olivas, 40, of Hopkins.

Decapitated Wildcat Is An Ocelot
We’ve confirmed with a Forestry Officer that the animal whose headless body was discovered this morning on the outskirts of Punta Gorda is that of an Ocelot, which is a smaller wild cat than the Jaguar.

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

The dream is over – Jaguars slip to 3-2 defeat
The Jaguars fought bravely, but slipped to a 3-2 defeat to Grenada, destiny slipping out […]

Top 5 Reasons to Invest in Belize Real Estate in 2020
A recent New York Times article pointed out that Belize remains a strong favorite among retirees, expatriates and those looking […]

Jaguars are in Grenada – aiming for a big W in final Nations League match
Denied an opportunity to qualify earlier this year for the 2019 CONCACAF Gold Cup, the […]

US national charged for manslaughter by negligence
Picture: Stephen Olivas US National, Mark Cairns, 57 has been formally charged for manslaughter by […]

Lost elderly woman identified as mental health patient from San Ignacio
BBN has confirmed that the elderly woman seen at the Corozal bus terminal this morning […]

Two women stabbed during a home invasion
Two women were stabbed during a home invasion in Belize City. Police say that Elvia […]

Armed robbers target delivery man
Authorities are investigating an armed robbery that occured yesterday afternoon in Belize City. Delivery man […]

Alvin Lopez shot in Dangriga
Police are investigating a shooting incident that occured this morning in Dangriga. According to reports, […]

Good Samaritan tries to locate family of lost elederly woman seen at Corozal bus terminal
A concerned good Samaritan noticed an elderly woman that seemed lost at the Corozal bus […]

Denver Bevans charged for murder of Giovanni Lennan
Denver Bevans, 19, of Belize city has been arrested and charged for the Thursday night murder of Giovanni Lennan, 30, on Welch street.s […]

Blogs

CTGA in Mountain Pine Ridge
Yesterday, members of the Cayo Tour Guide Association visited the Mountain Pine Ridge where we repaired and resurfaced the access trail to some of the most popular destinations in the area: the Rio On Pools and Rio Frio Cave. We all boarded Mr. Jorge De Leon’s Jungle buggy, a Toyota SR5 pickup, modified with seats to carry tourists into the jungle this in its self is an interesting experience and a different way of touring the jungle. It certainly lacks the air conditioning that we are all now accustomed to but this puts the rider closer to nature.

COLD FRONT! Blissful Cooler Breezes Bring Temps into Low 70s on Ambergris Caye
It was a very very hot summer on Ambergris Caye. But this week, the winds shifted…and we are currently enjoying our first real cold front. COLD FRONT! TOGETHER WEATHER! CHRISTMAS TIME! The time of year when the wind blows from the north, humidity dips below 90 percent (HELLO GOOD HAIR!) and locals bundle up as if it is going to snow. I digress…as usual. My main point is…the weather is beautiful and feel gorgeous. I walked outside in a full-blown sweatsuit this morning. Overkill perhaps…but it kept the mosquitos at bay.

Woodcutters of British Honduras
During the 16 and 1700’s explorers and conquistadors from Spain and England were colonizing the “New World” in search of wealth and territories for their monarchs. The lure of Belize was the riches of its interior, proximity to the American colonies, the familiar English language, and most importantly access to the Caribbean Sea. Groups of settlers came from England in search of the logwood, which they found in abundance along the banks of the old Belize River, and later, along the banks of the New River in the north.

Art Talk
Dust off your Art History books and take out those paintbrushes and canvas. Art has a pulse and it’s beating strong in Belize. Take a walk to the historic Museum of Belize and you’ll be pleased to see the amazing artworks Belize has to offer. “The River of Art Flows Everywhere”, by Yaoling Lee is just the latest art exhibit to hit the museum. The exhibit is a study in working from life and brings with it a captivating lesson in art for its audience as well. The exhibit features over 63 art pieces from Yaoling that centres on the study of Oil Paintings, Watercolour, Plein Air, and Charcoal.

Videos

• Quash, 2.5min. Saw a big band of quash yesterday just before sunset. I only got the last 1/3 on film. I’m guessing 50 +/-

• Walkabout Punta Gorda, Belize 2019, 8min. “In family life, love is the oil that eases friction, the cement that binds closer together, and the music that brings harmony.” in this mi familia video I explore mi esposa's Belizean culture as we go on a walkabout in Punta Gorda, her home village. At the end of the day, a loving family should find everything forgivable. Salud

• Skydiving Into the Blue Hole in Belize, 3min. One of the most incredible experiences of my entire life!

• Scuba Diving in Belize with Belize Aggressor III, 7.5min.

• Belize 2000, 73min. October 2000 dive trip to Ambergris Caye, Belize with the Gulf Coast Party Pirates

• Belize Trip, 9min.