FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, Reef TV, KREM, and CTV 3. Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, Belize Now, Talk Ah Di Town, and other specials.

The San Pedro Sun

Island Wonder Kitchen + Bar bring new vibes on Coconut Drive
Formerly K’s Diner, Island Wonder Kitchen + Bar on Coconut Drive, is now under new ownership and management. The revamped eatery held a name reveal party on Wednesday, November 20th, in the presence of patrons and invited guests. Island Wonder Kitchen + Bar, open Monday to Saturday, offers breakfast, lunch, and dinner with a variety of local and international cuisine. Proprietor Leslie Lawrence, a native of Texas, USA, indicated that the restaurant caters to everyone. “This will be a wonderful place for everyone, with good vibes, a varied menu with great food and drinks, and interactive activities for our patrons,” said Lawrence. Island Wonder is expected to be that space where every guest can feel wonderful and have a good time. In mid-December, the restaurant is expecting to have the opening of a drive-thru, so customers can order and pick- up.

Sargassum; out of sight but not out of mind
Waves of Sargassum that washed up in large mats on the shores of many countries within the Caribbean, southern Mexico, and Belize, have significantly decreased, giving way to clear coastlines with beautiful sandy beaches. Ambergris Caye’s eastern coastline is once again showing off her sandy shoreline, making the island an ideal place to vacation once more. Sargassum season is known to be from April to August each year, but according to reports, it could start flooding the region as early as January 2020. The year 2019 has been one of the worst recorded for the seaweed invasion, and predictions for 2020 are uncertain as Mother Nature is quite unpredictable.

Nagel & Associates, LLC hosts a conference on Financial Opportunities in Belize
The 23rd Annual President's Week Asset Protection & Investment Conference was held at the Caye International Bank building in San Pedro Town from Saturday, November 9th to Wednesday, November 13th. The conference, sponsored by Nagel & Associates, LLC and highlighted current global, political, and economic situations as they relate to issues such as crushing student debt and lack of financial opportunities faced by millennials. Topics included self-directed individual retirement arrangements as well as international and irrevocable family trusts. Attendees learned how international investments could provide opportunities for exploring new markets, protecting assets for loved ones, providing capital to overseas startups, and preserving profits.

Christmas Concert to benefit Dr. Otto Rodriguez San Pedro Polyclinic II
All is set for a fundraiser Christmas concert at Fido’s Restaurant and Bar on Wednesday, December 13th. The fundraiser, organized by the San Pedro Chapter of the Belize Tourism Industry Association (SP BTIA), will raise funds to purchase much-needed supplies for the island’s only public health center, The Dr. Otto Rodriguez San Pedro Polyclinic II. The Christmas concert will feature musicians Jake Hill and Russell Hulme and will run from 7PM to 11PM. Throughout the night, attendees will also have the opportunity to win amazing prizes in three different giveaway categories, entrance raffles, lucky dip, and a silent auction with items ranging from a sunset cruise for 12, dinner certificates, overnight stays at exotic resorts on Ambergris Caye, a pizza party for ten, snorkeling tours, manicures and pedicures, and round-trip flight tickets.

Ambergris Today

Farewell To Liborio "Lee" Ramiro Gomez
Obituary of Liborio "Lee" Ramiro Gomez of Atchison, Kansas/Ambergris Caye, Belize | 1941 - 2019. Dr. Liborio Ramiro “Lee” Gomez, PhD, age 78, passed away peacefully in his home in Atchison, Kansas, on November 21, 2019. Lee was born on March 11, 1941, in San Pedro Town, Ambergris Caye, Belize, the son of Hilberto and Hilaria Gomez. He graduated from St. John’s College in Belize City before receiving a four-year scholarship to attend St. Benedict’s College in Atchison, Kansas. After completing his bachelor’s degree, he attended St. Louis University to attain his master’s degree and his Ph. D. in Spanish. Lee became a United States citizen in February of 1993, after passing the Naturalization Test.

Various Belizean Sources

mzz

2019 San Pedro Holiday Boat Parade
Join us this year on Saturday, December 7th at 6 PM for the annual San Pedro Holiday Boat Parade. We have the best spot on land to watch the boats go by! Get here early to claim your spot. It's a fun event — you don't want to miss out if you're on the island. If you aren't planning to be in San Pedro that weekend, there's still time to buy your plane tickets and join us for this special island tradition!

CHILAM BALAM : THE RETURN OF KUKULKAN
"The earth will awake in the north and in the west ,and the itza will awake . The Quetzal will descend to the branches of the tree of Promise, that which was wounded , The Plumed Serpent(Kukulkan) ,will return . His face of sun will dispel the darkness . It is the sign of hunab ku that is manifested for the illumination of the world . " Books of the Chilam Balam(Sacred books of the Yucatec Maya)

Itzamna
Itzamna also known as Hunab Itzam Na Is the creator of the world,Humans and the universe . Also writing,science and divination . In several Legends, Itzamná gave the Maya the foundations of civilization. According to legend, he taught them how to grow corn, to write, to use calendars and to practice medicine. He also introduced a system to divide the land and established rituals for religious worship. In the Cruzo'ob Maya faith the interpretation of the message of "Hahal Ku" the true God of the Maya Máasewal is some times declared as literally Itzamna . The early colonial sources variously connect, and sometimes identify,Itzamna with Hunab Ku, Kinich Ahua and Yaxocahmut . Itzamna (Hunab Itzam Nah) is the supreme God.

Yuum Kaax
Yuum Kaax is the representation of the forest and agriculture . One of the Yuumstilo'ob which is still honored by our Yucatec Maya (Máasewal) people of Belize especially in the Primicia known as Wahil Kool done in the Maya village of Patchakan (Corozal) .

Channel 5

Three fishermen remain missing tonight at sea
Today’s search for twenty two year old Sheldon Gibson, Elijah Usher and another man was suspended. The men went missing near Mapp Caye. The men left Belize City today on a eighteen feet boat “Loriannie”.

The Reporter

Alarm & Concern For Missing Fishermen – Mapp Caye Area Again
Concerns are mounting for Belize City residents Sheldon Gibson 22, Elijah Usher and another unidentified individual after they went fishing in the vicinity of Mapp Caye on Friday and have not returned or contacted family members since.

Collin Francis- Back In Police Custody, Facing News Charges
Five months after the brutal beat-down of Nestor Jude Vasquez whilst in custody at the Queen Street Police Station, authorities have arrested and charged mental patient Collin Francis 29 for the crime of murder.

The Man In The Mirror
By: Dr. Abigail Joseph - It’s nothing new to hear a disgruntled society use the blame game. We throw blame on everything and anything we can, rarely ever ourselves. It is so unfortunate that in my line of work we are blamed for A LOT of things, including many things that are not in our control – expired medication, shortage of medication, lack of resources, short staff, death of a patient.

Taiwan Comes Up Big for the BPD
On Wednesday, (Nov. 20th.) the Government of Taiwan gifted the Belize Police Department with the money to purchase a Coaster bus which will be used to shuttle officers who work in the city, but live in the north or west.

$100 MILLION ‘SLIPPAGE’ FinSec Admits Breach of Financial Regulations
The case of John Briceño, Julius Espat and the PUP against Prime Minister Dean Barrow, Financial Secretary Joe Waight and the Attorney General over the spending and accountability of the Petrocaribe funds took centre stage before Chief Justice Kenneth Benjamin this week and while the government’s position has been that this is another case of much ado about nothing, Waight had a lot of questions to answer on the witness stand.

Editorial – Sunday November 24th. 2019
Sarteneja and Copper Bank are two beautiful villages which enjoy coastline status, but the two have languished because they are so hard to reach. True, there is a road which con- nects a string of these northern vil- lages, but this is a road which takes hours to cross because it is in such bad shape.

Body Found In Haulover Creek, Identified
The body found in the Haulover Creek behind the flour mill on the Phillip Goldson Highway in Belize City, has been identified as 37 year old Omar Gomez.

False Intl. Media Rumor Claims Belize Is Stay-Over Country For Asylum Seekers
It has been brought to the attention of the Government of Belize that a news article is in circulation which states that the Trump Administration has identified Belize as a “safe third country” for immigrants trying to reach the United States.

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

Belize Film Commission announces launch of Belize International Film Market and Belize-based Studio Complex
The Belize Film Commission, along with the Global Commerce, Digital Entertainment and Media Divisions for […]

Asian businessman executed near mile 4 on the George Price Highway
An Asian businessman from Belize City was shot earlier tonight near mile four on the […]

First leg of playoffs results in win for Bandits and an Altitude-Verdes draw
The Premier League of Belize (PLB) set up a twin-bill for the opening leg of […]

Bunny T- a rising Belizean artist
Belizean musician, Aaron Wilson, also known as ‘Bunny T’ is a rising artist making strides […]

Belizean artist set to debut first album
Belizean artist, Izak R. Chang also known as ‘Falcon the God,’is dropping his debut album next […]

Three men feared missing at Mapp Caye
According to police reports, three Belizean men are currently missing at sea. They are Sheldon Gibson, […]

Team Belize defeats El Salvador in volleyball championship!
Belize’s U-18 has just defeated El Salvador in the Central American Female Volleyball Championship in […]

Three things Belize should be proud of this week
Picture: UNICEF Belize The views expressed in this article are those of the writer and not necessarily those […]

Anthony Mahler plans free health clinic day for tomorrow
The People’s United Party (PUP) standard-bearer in Pickstock has scheduled a free health clinic day […]

Colin Francis re-arrested and charged for Vasquez murder
On Thursday, BBN reported that the man accused of stabbing a nurse and brutally beating […]

Blogs

BONUS PICTURES OF BELIZE (BORROWED FROM THE WINDY CITY BRIT AKA TORIA)
I can’t recall all the times I have been to Belize over the years. I probably have in my storage unit in Memphis over 1000+ pictures of the island over the years. I know this is going to sound somewhat calloused but I take a lot of what Belize has for granted. Obviously there is nothing better than sitting on the dock or patio smoking a cigar while the sun comes up over the reef. I can’t get that view here in Manhattan. But I notice that I put my blinders on when I am going around town and never stop to appreciate the little things.

Orchid Bay Belize: Modern Beauty Planned for An Established Community
Just recently I jumped on a short flight from Ambergris Caye to Corozal, Belize to visit a growing and changing but not totally new development project at Orchid Bay Belize. I’ve been seeing the advertisements for it….popping up on my browser and in my social media throughout the day. The proposed open-air bungalows look so modern and beautiful…I had to find a way to go visit. It was a fantastic 3 days – exploring much of the 100 acres that make up the Orchid Bay community – going on a boat trip to beautiful Sarteneja village…

International Sourcesizz

Archaeology breakthrough: Why ‘unexpected find’ helps ‘rewrite history’ of ancient Maya
The Mayans were a civilisation known for their architecture, mathematics and astronomical beliefs, who date back to as far as 2000BC, with many of their impressive constructions still standing in the jungles of southeast Mexico, Guatemala, Belize and western parts of Honduras. Archaeologists hunting for a sacred well beneath the city of Chichen Itza in Mexico’s Yucatan Peninsula accidentally discovered a trove of more than 150 ritual objects untouched for more than 1,000 years. The discovery of the cave system, known as Balamku or “Jaguar God,” was announced by Mexico’s National Institute of Anthropology and History (INAH) in a press conference held in March this year. Lead archaeologist Guillermo De Anda said in March: “This cave is going to help us to rewrite the history of this city. “We have found several offerings, all of them in a very good state of preservation, it looks like they were deposited by the ancient Maya yesterday.

Videos

• Belize part 1, 7min.

• Belize part 2, 7min.

• Belize part 3, 7min.

• Belize part 6, 7min.

• Belize part 7, 7min.

• Bacalar Mexico to Belize, 3min. After few days in mexico, is time to move south, direction to Belize. The carribean cost of central america is one of my favourite places on earth, cant wait to dive into those blue waters

• Volleyball Belize Salvador August 2018, 46min.

• Belize Salvador U23 3rd set 2019, 25min.

• PLB Opening Season | SEMI FINALS | Pirates FC vs Bandits SC | Live at The Ambergris Stadium, San Pedro, 2hr.