FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, Reef TV, KREM, and CTV 3. Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, Belize Now, Talk Ah Di Town, and other specials.

The San Pedro Sun

Wolfe’s Woofer: What Pa Did
You and Mario put the beer in the big cooler out back,” Yolanda said to me. “Vernon went to his boat for some smoked fish. He’s been gone an hour, so I sent Juney to find him.” The Nosenada Social Club was holding the monthly barbecue and all of the wives and children were there. Since the barbecue was at Vernon’s house even his in-laws were there. Ten-year-old Vernon Junior returned from his errand and said, “Ma, I found Pa.” “What was he doing?”

Doctor Love: Healthy Nana
Dear Doctor Love, My daughter-in-law is a lovely girl and she is a good wife and mother. She’s also overweight. She constantly diets, then binges and that is her choice, but my two granddaughters are suffering because of her poor example. Breakfast is a sugary cereal. Lunch is processed meats and snack foods and dinner is something like fried chicken and fries or another food with no nutritional value but lots of calories. The eleven-year-old is actually obese and it breaks my heart. I see this more and more with Belizean children and I hate to see it happen with my two grandbabies. How can I get my daughter-in-law to see that the junk food she gives them is a terrible substitute for fruits and vegetables? I don’t want to hurt her feelings. She and my son both work hard but she doesn’t seem to understand that she is jeopardizing their health. What should I do? /s/Healthy Nana

Various Belizean Sources

mzz

Melissa Jones graduates from Officer Candidate School
Congratulations are in order for Ensign Melissa Jones who graduated from Officer Candidate School at the United States Coast Guard Academy. Ensign Melissa Jones has been in the Belize Coast Guard for 8 years. She will now be assigned as a Platoon Commander. Welcome back.

Boat Registration and Licensing Dec 2-6 in San Pedro
The Belize Port Authority will be conducting registration and licensing of vessels for the year 2020 from 2 December to 6 December 2019.

Dance X BZ 2019
The Official Opening of Dance X BZ 2019....A panel discussion 'The future of Dance in Belize'....Thursday November 28th at 7pm at the Bliss Center

Holy Cross School Culture Day
School culture days are always one of my favourite things. Photos by Karen Brodie.

Channel 5

Murder of Zheng Cheng
On Saturday 23rd November 2019, at 9:35 pm acting upon information received CIB Precinct 2 visited an area between 4 and 5 miles on the George Price Highway where they observed the motionless body of a male person who was identified as 28 year old Zheng Cheng, Belizean businessman of Central American Boulevard. He was seen with apparent gunshot injuries to the body.

The Reporter

Chinese Businessman Murdered – Was It A Set-Up ?
One man has been detained and another is being sought for the murder of businessman Zheng Cheng Liu, 28. His body was found between miles 4 and 5 on the George Price Highway around 9:35pm Saturday.

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

Quick police action reportedly results in suspects detained in Belize City shooting
Earlier tonight Breaking Belize News (BBN) reported that at least three people were allegedly shot […]

Several injured in separate shooting incidents
There are unconfirmed reports of two separate shooting incidents in Belize City tonight. A shooting […]

The Hummingbird Highway – what’s in a name and why change it?
Prime Minister Dean Barrow’s otherwise innocuous remarks on Garifuna Settlement Day in Dangriga raised eyebrows for […]

U-18 female volleyball medalists claim 7 individual awards as Belize wins Silver
Photo Courtesy: Belize Volleyball Association Belize is confirmed silver medalists in the 13th U-18 Central […]

“Belize: Third worst nationality to have in CARICOM,” says Nationality Index
According to the Kälin and Kochenov’s Quality of Nationality Index (QNI) Belize has ranked 88th […]

Businessman killed execution style
Last night we reported a murder in the old capital. Today we can confirm that […]

Blogs

Swallow Caye Wildlife Sanctuary
In order to discuss Swallow Caye, it is necessary to know that it is a haven for the West Indian Manatee and that over the years, it was established as a sanctuary through the efforts of a group of people. The most well-known and tireless champion of these was Lionel “Chocolate” Heredia. The story of how it came about is quite interesting. A native of San Pedro, Mr. Heredia moved to Caye Caulker in the 1970’s. At first, he worked Water Taxis and later self-trained in Manatee Tour Guiding. At that time, it came about quite by chance, that Richard Foster, a well-known American photojournalist, invited Chocolate to visit an undiscovered place where manatees were abundant. This was a place where manatees could always be seen, and the idea was born for Chocolate to start bringing tours to see this rare, gentle mammal of the sea.

National Symbols of Belize
Before independence on September 21st 1981, the National Symbols of Belize were selected by the National Symbols Committee which included the two political parties at the time. They made this decision through a consensus and the committee reviewed it and therefore chose a national flower, tree, bird, and animal. When it came to the decision of the national flag, they made an advertisement for people to submit ideas for the flag and win a cash prize in return. The National Symbols of Belize are very dear to us and respected by locals and tourists alike.

Cerros Archaeological Site in Northern Belize
The Maya ruins at Cerros stand out by being on the coastline rather than deep inland in the jungle. Cerros is a small site, but it has revealed a great deal about Maya society. Cerros is about 85 miles north of Belize City in the northern district of Corozal. The ruins are located on the banks of the New River where it meets the Bay of Chetumal. Archaeologists estimate that people lived continuously in Cerros from 400 BC to 400 AD. Cerros is one of the few Maya cities that was continuously occupied for centuries. Cerros is one of the most important late pre-classic Maya sites. It is the first Maya city that attempted to establish a king as its ruler. In 50 BC, Cerros established the first of its ruling kings and began a major urban renewal. Residents buried the original buildings to construct new temples, plazas and a palace. Most of Cerros has still not been excavated.

Maya Forest Garden
A forest garden is the last vestige of the traditional Maya land management of the milpa (small farm) to garden cycle. It is the most diverse domestic cultivation system in the world. A model to be followed can be found at the El Pilar Archaeological Reserve for Maya Flora and Fauna in the Cayo district, only 12 miles from San Ignacio. In a network of 19 gardens, researchers have found 370 different species of plants cultivated by forest gardeners. These forest gardeners support diversity because of their rich traditional knowledge of plant use. When nurtured, these plants yield a bounty of food, medicine, spices, dyes, ornaments, construction and household products, toys, beverages, rituals, fodder, and more. No wonder the Maya flourished.

An Ocean Bar Offers A Life Of Fun In Caribbean Belize
We had come to Ambergris Caye—Belize’s largest island—on our honeymoon and loved it. We spent our time diving, fishing, and exploring the cays and atolls. The waters and reefs were incredibly beautiful and we instantly fell in love with the island and its friendly people. Another big plus is that English is the first language. By 2007, we were seriously considering a move and in February that year, we found a local watering hole for sale on Ambergris Caye. The next week, we flew down to take a look at it, and the rest is history. In buying the bar, we’d gone totally out on a limb. We arrived with nothing but our determination, hopes, dreams, and of course, our bartender guide book. Our goal was to find a niche and create own our little piece of paradise.

Belize Adventure Vacation: What To Do With A Week in San Ignacio Town
San Ignacio isn't the biggest destination in Belize, but it's become one of the most popular destinations for tourists, locals, and expats. Why is that? It's largely because of the diversity of things to do here. Along with its sister town of Santa Elena, San Ignacio is the heart and soul of the Cayo District. That makes it an ideal launching point for adventures out in the wilds of Belize, but it's also a town rich with culture and with all the accommodations to keep you comfortable between your journeys out into the wild. You could easily spend months in and around San Ignacio, which is why it's important to understand what all the options available to you are. If you're going to only be here for a week, here are some of the top suggestions for what you should try.

At PACT, we believe the best way to create a legacy is to sustain one!
n 1996, Belize was considered a pioneer with the passing of the PACT Act. Today, the protected areas landscape continues to take shape and expand. Currently, there are 103 protected areas that form a vast national protected areas system (NPAS), with categories that encompass forest reserves, nature reserves, national parks, marine reserves, private reserves, wildlife sanctuaries, natural monuments, bird sanctuaries, spawning aggregation reserves and archaeological reserves. In the twenty years since the Protected Areas Conservation Trust was established, PACT has been accredited national implementing entity (NIE) status for the Adaptation Fund as well as granted a fiduciary role for such agencies as the World Bank, the Meso-American Reef Fund (MAR Fund), the Global Environment Facility (GEF) and the Belize Nature Conservation Fund (BNCF).

Winter in Belize: A Guide to Food, Festivities and Fun
Belize is a wonderfully charming and laidback location to sit out the colder months of the year. And yet, while Belizean winters bring noticeably cooler temperatures, there are tons of other ways a tropical winter is quite different from a northern one. Weather is definitely worth further mention. Belize is located in the eastern edge of Central America, bounded by the warm waters of the Caribbean Sea to the East and the densely forested Maya Mountains to the West. Belize weather during December and January is traditionally cool with low humidity. With daily average highs of 81ํํ°F and lows of around 71°F, this translates to clear, blue skies, and cool crisp air. During the early mornings, a light jacket and covered sleeves and legs would be the best wardrobe choices. For nights out, women might consider traveling with a light shawl. For additional warmth, a glass of wine and good stimulating conversation is always a good measure.

International Sourcesizz

Belize Bar president files suit against Chief Justice
The President of the Belize Bar Association (BBA), Cheryl-Lyn Vidal, has filed a claim against Chief Justice Kenneth Benjamin, following her removal as a member of the Judicial and Legal Services Commission (JLSC). Attorney Andrew Marshalleck, who filed the legal motion last month, said Vidal, who is also the Director of Public Prosecutions, is challenging her exclusion from the JLSC that comprises the chair of the Public Services Commission, the president of the Bar Association and the Solicitor General. He is arguing that in the absence of the bar representative, the appointments of other judicial officers have been questionable since it appears that there is an incestuous relationship between the executive and the judiciary.

Videos

• 9th Annual Tacos Fest, 3min. It was the 9th Annual Tacos Fest 2019 that was held, today November 24TH, 2019 at the Orange Walk Central Park. At 9am this morning, locals from across Belize, and, visitors (tourists) from around the world, came to Orange Walk Town, just to try the famous Tacos. By, the time I had arrived at Central Park in Orange Walk, there was no way I could have waited for tacos in line. Hundreds of people were already in line, taking orders from the various booths. They also tried, the other various booth that where selling tacos.

• 9th Annual Tacos Fest #2, 7min. The taco fest 2019 right here at the Orange Walk Central Park.

• HOW "PUPA CURLY" MADE REGGAE MUSIC FOR BELIZE!, 25min.

• Day Trip to Caye Caulker, Belize, 9min. If you ever get the chance to visit Belize, a day trip over to the island of Caye Caulker is a must. Of course it helps to have great company with you!

• A Monday Night in San Pedro, Belize, 3.5min. Some scenes from a typical Monday night in San Pedro, Belize with great friends at Coco's Loco beach bar. Its always a good time here!

• Belize Drone views, 3.5min.

• Belize Blue Hole November 19, 2019, 14min. Aggressor III SCUBA diving yacht visits the Belize Blue Hole.

• Pok ta pok at the Yucatec Maya museum San Lazaro, .5min.