FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, Reef TV, KREM, and CTV 3. Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, Belize Now, Talk Ah Di Town, and other specials.

The San Pedro Sun

Island youth join the Belize Coast Guard; San Pedro’s Almita Pinelo promoted to Lieutenant Commander
A total of 87 recruits successfully joined the ranks of the Belize Coast Guard (BCG) on Wednesday, November 27th, and were formally welcomed into the maritime law enforcement agency during a special ceremony held at its headquarters in Ladyville Village outside Belize City. Among the proud graduating class of intake number ten were three young men from San Pedro Town, 19-year-old Noel Hernandez, 21-year-old Cade Gian Segura, and 23-year-old Zamani Anderson. The ceremony, which included the swearing-in of a new Commandant of the coast guard, also saw islander and senior officer Almita Pinelo promoted to Lieutenant Commander.

Wolfe’s Woofer: Thunder
Will you pick up some plant food while you’re downtown?” Sherry asked. “It’s for those tomato plants I’ve been raising in the clay pots. They’re droopy and starting to get wrinkly because they’re getting old.” “Do you really think it will do them any good?” “Of course,” she said. “Anything old, droopy and wrinkly needs to be fed. That reminds me, your dinner is in the oven for when you get back from the bar.” “All right,” I said. “I’ll just have one quick beer with the guys.”

Iguana Eco Corner Sanctuary protecting island iguanas
Located on the lagoon sideof the heart of San Pedro Town, the Iguana Eco Corner has been fostering and protecting these endangered reptiles for the past decade. The mangrove area is home to more than 200 hundred green and Black Spiny-Tailed iguanas. Founder of Iguana Eco Corner Calvin Young shared with The San Pedro Sun that he started with two iguanas, and now there are over 200 hundred in the area. “Ten years ago, I saw two iguanas that were in the mangrove area here beside my house. I decided to take care of them and protect them from poachers, the years, more and more started to come and live here since they felt safe. Now we have over 200 hundred iguanas living at the sanctuary,” he said.

Doctor Love: Leave Me Alone
ear Doctor Love, I dated a guy for a few years, and it ended over a year ago. We remained friends and we see each other occasionally. I am engaged to someone else and have moved on with my life. My problem is his new girlfriend. He’s been dating her for about three months and from almost day one she has been stalking me both on the internet and in real life. I’m not afraid of her but I think it’s weird that first, she sent me a “friend request,” which I declined.

Various Belizean Sources

mzz

Scorpions Win 2019 ATLIB Championship
The SHJC Scorpions are the 2019 ATLIB Basketball Champions, again! Well played. Congratulations to the team, the amazing coaches, and SHJC! "Yes Folks Scorpions Seals the Deal. The West is Boss!!!"

NICH Caroling Caravan
Dec 20, 5:30-9pm.

Belize aak'ab k'iin
Yuum Cimil is the representation of dead a cycle of the human life . Dead is not the end but the transformation of the body and the Pixan (Soul). The Yucatec Maya(Máasewal) of Belize put altars to honor our loved ones . Especially for the U Janal Pixano'ob (Finados) the Yucatec Maya honor our family and friends who are on the spiritual world . Note: Yuum Cimil is also known as Ah Puch , Ah Cizin, Hun Ahau or Kimi . Yuum Cimil means Señor muerte (Lord of death).

The Reporter

Coast Guard Has New Commandant
The symbolic lines: “Sir, I relinquish command!” and “Sir, I assume command!” on Wednesday marked the dawn of a new era for the Belize National Coast Guard Service, which changed leadership from Rear Admiral John Borland to Captain Elton Bennett as outgoing and incoming Commandants respectively.

Nurse Found In Garbage Can In Hopkins
The Reporter has confirmed that an American nurse was found dead in the southern village of Hopkins earlier today, (Saturday Nov. 30th.) Police visited the home of 50yr. old Wendi Jane Dardano after a friend of the diseased said that she was not answering her phone.

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

Simone Biles makes a splash on Caye Caulker during Belize vacation
Gymnastic sensation, Simone Biles is taking a deserved break from training and competition ahead of […]

Fourth International Yoga Festival held in Belize City
Today, yoga practitioners, aspiring yoga practitioners and those interested in the benefits of yoga and […]

Chamberlain Consulting hosting leadership seminar in Belize City
Chamberlain Consulting, the company that hosted the Belize site for the global leadership conference Leadercast […]

Verdes vs Bandits for PLB championship
The Green Machine’s offensive juggernaut awoke at home this afternoon, steamrolling Altitude FC of Independence, […]

Acknowledging the power of communities on World AIDS Day
Today, countries around the world took a moment to acknowledge everyone involved in the global […]

Police investigating fatal traffic accident in the south
Police are investigating a traffic accident that occurred in the early hours of Friday morning […]

Man shot near Majestic Alley
Minutes ago a man was shot on Belize City’s north side. He has not yet […]

Police investigate murder of Richard Smith
Authorities are investigating the murder of Hattieville resident Richard Smith. According to police reports, Smith […]

Robbers take cash, Belikin beers and iPhone
Authorities have detained two suspects pending investigation of a robbery that occurred on Friday night […]

American national found dead inside blue plastic drum
Authorities in Hopkins are investigating the circumstances surrounding the death of an American woman. Police […]

Blogs

Made in Belize: Shopping for Christmas Gifts With Local Vendors in Belize City
Small local businesses NEED our support and this is the time of year they count on. Tourist season…Christmas season…the holidays. Friday afternoon I headed to Belize City on the water taxi. I’d been invited to stay at a new hotel/restaurant/hip spot in my favorite neighborhood of Belize’s largest city, the historic Fort George area. North Park Hotel was hosting a “Backyaad Sip and Shop” featuring music, snacks and drinks and vendors from around the country – some I’ve met before and some new to me. I’ll write more about the LOVELY spot in a beautiful old waterfront colonial home soon…

Swimming with Sharks & Sting Rays in Belize
This past summer we went on a Carnival cruise on the ship Miracle for 7 days in the Caribbean. When the boat docked in Belize, we decided to go on a ship excursion to Shark and Ray Alley recommended by my aunt. We booked it ahead of time but if there are still open spots you can book it while you are on the ship plus there were other tour options to Shark and Ray Alley after you disembark. Off the boat we easily found our tour group in Belize City on the pier. After a quick (and free!) bathroom break in a nearby store, we boarded a smaller boat for the 50 minute ride to the small island of Caye Caulker. Once on the island, we donned our swimsuits and were given mask and fins (provided with the tour) for snorkeling later!

COULD BELIZE BE THE NEXT BUCKET LIST RUNNING DESTINATION?
It’s probably not what you think of when you hear “Belize:” running. You think of snorkeling the Barrier Reef, diving the Great Blue Hole, exploring Mayan caves and relaxing seaside in San Pedro and Caye Caulker. You think islands, jungles, archaeological sites and wildlife. Marathons and half marathons? Not so much, yet. But it’s happening. Belize is becoming an active vacation destination as it slowly begins to build a reputation for producing top runners and hosting professional running events. The woman behind the impetus? Patty Ramirez, who with her husband Ralph Capeling, runs the award-winning Splash Dive Center in Placencia, one of the best dive centers in Belize.

25 Things You Should Do With Your Partner In Belize (In 2020)
You know your partner better than we do, but let’s be honest, one thing that carries through for all relationships is the fact that they take work. Often times, finding time to reconnect as a couple, and ‘maintain the spark’ gets lost under all these other work and life commitments. It’s important to make time for each other; studies have shown that the benefits of being in a healthy, loving relationship lead to better health, lower stress levels and better mental and emotional wellbeing. Doing activities together as a couple is a perfect way to deepen the bond you share and create new memories.

International Sourcesizz

Making a splash: Gymnastics legend Simone Biles pulls off jaw-dropping dismount into the sea
US gymnastics idol Simone Biles has wowed her social media followers by posting a video from her Belize vacation where she landed her signature double-double dismount off a diving platform and into the sea. Biles, the most decorated gymnast in US history, is seen standing on the edge of a diving platform before hurling her jaw-dropping combo high in the air and splashing into the Caribbean Sea.

Why Belize's Ambergris Caye Holds the Key to My Heart
This was nothing like the beauty pageants I’d seen on TV. The Costa Maya Festival – which is held every August in Belize’s San Pedro town on Ambergris Caye – was alive with music, bedazzling costumes and a pervasive aroma from the food purveyors keeping everyone well-fed with stew chicken and fry jacks. The audience was just as hyped as the women on stage representing each of the Central American countries. Rather than the yawn-inducing polite, seated clapping I had always associated with pageants, onlookers' hips were swinging to the beat of a drum. Even though I was one of very few tourists in attendance, it was impossible not to be caught up in the rhythm alongside the Belizeans celebrating this expression of their unique culture.

Videos

• Annual Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony in San Pedro, 1hr27min.

• World AIDS Day, 2.5min. Message from Mrs.Kim Simplis Barrow, Special Envoy for Women and Children: With this year's World AIDS Day theme "Communities make the difference," make sure you are doing your part in the response to HIV/AIDS.

• Gymnast Simone Biles performing flips at the Split on Caye Caulker., 8sec.

• San Pedro, Belize, 6min. Tony and Curt spend a fews day at the Banana Beach resort in San Pedro, Belize October 2019.

• Family Vacation- 2018 Belize, 6min.

• Belize 2019 Our Adventure on Coco Plum Island, 28min. Join Simone and I on our 2019 vacation of a lifetime. 9 Days and 10 nights on beautiful Coco Plum Island and Resort, off the coast of Belize !

• Snorkeling in Belize, 13min.

• Belize Aggressor Scuba Diving Trip Video - Fall 2018, 37min.

• Belize Wedding Film || Las Terazas Resort|| Tj and Katelin, 11min. Beautiful cinematic wedding film shot at Las Terazas Belize covering Tj and Katelin's big day.

• Culture Series: Belize Garifuna Settlement Day!, 8.5min. This week I bring to you Garifuna Settlement Day! Many persons settle in different parts of the world and it's important and rewarding to learn about their different cultures. This week, I experienced the food made on this day by my friend Trina! Enjoy! :)

• The lighting of the tree Belize City, 14min. Tree lighting ceremony in Belize City

• PLB Opening Season | SEMI FINALS | Verdes FC vs Altitude FC | Live at The Norman Broaster Stadium, San Ignacio, 2.5hr.

• WELCOME TO THE WORLD OF ALTHEA MOSES!, 33min. The 1996 Belizean olympian, Althea Moses, comes to us here at "Belizean Legends" with much excitement for the remarkable story of athletic success turned personal trainer and motivational speaker for the advancement of health and wellness among a community that once molded her in the 1980s and 90s to become one of the best student athletes of her time.

• BERT TUCKER INTERNATIONAL! BELIZEAN REVOLUTIONARY!, 31min. The late Belizean revolutionary, economist and socio-political activist Bert Tucker has made an impeccable impact on the society of Belize since his work as a economic consultant in the international community in the 1970's where his worked with the governments of Michael Manley of Jamaica and Maurice Bishop of Grenada has made him a respected Caribbean statesman.