Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#53951 06/10/02 02:34 PM
T
OP Offline
T
OK ACer's, I need the skinney on the beach/water conditions. We have a party of 6 that are thinking about A/C in May 03'. We usually go to the quiet end of the seven mile beach in Negril, Jamaica, but are going to venture into new territories next year. I read in an article titled "5 reasons NOT to go to A/C" on the belizefirst.com site that the beaches are not that great and that the seagrass is everywhere in the waters of A/C? Our group REALLY likes to 'veg' on the beach and swim during the day when not on a snorkle or dive excursion. We are considering Xanadu Resort but DO NOT WANT to arrive and be dispointed with the beach/water/swimming conditions. PLEASE give me the REAL skinny. If the beach near Xanadu is Not the place to be, please make other suggestions. THX in ADVANCE!

B
B
I hope not to get anything in a wringer here with the other boarders but if swimming from the beach is critical for your group, AC probably is not the place. We spent 10 days there in April and, although the beaches were a little bigger in some places than we were led to believe, they really weren't conducive to swimming from. Some of the resorts have piers and cleared places at the ends of them for swimming (Caribbean Villas for one) but the sea grass is long and thick off of all the beach areas we saw. North of the cut I can't speak for but south was pretty consistently that way. If you're used to Seven Mile beach in Jamaica or gulf beaches in Florida, this is not similar at all. We likened the beach on AC more to a town road than a quiet beach environment. Everyone uses the beach to make their way on foot---and in some places the sand is not much more than two or three feet wide and often disappears and becomes a walkway on top of a retaining wall. On the other hand, some of the resorts have a really nice expanse of sand. But the seagrass is still there and swimming would be poor. The only folks we saw swimming off the beaches were locals and then only a very few.

D
D
Then perhaps you sould look at Blue Marlin on South Water Caye.

Hi, trina I would suggest the Orange Walk area. There is a lot to offer there. In particular there is the Lamanai Outpost lodge that offers exactly what you're looking for. You can contact me if you need more info at [email protected]
S
S
Well I don't quite agree. The swimming is fantastic, the water clear as glass (unless churned up by a storm) and in the low 80's temperature wise. There is a low wake zone set up for swimmers and casual snorkelers.
It's the walking into the water from the beach that isn't (most places) so hot. We swim several times a day. Virtually all the hotels, condos, etc. have piers that have steps you can walk down into the water (if you are to chicken to jump) and of course to get back up. The swimming is absolutely great and if you wear your mask and snorkel you will see fish..not like the marine reserve but they are there. And some places have little artificial reefs (we have several in front of Paradise Villas) that usually have fish in them. Sometimes even a big surprise!
But I have to agree that this particular group probably would prefer going elsewhere,it sounds like they are more into lounging on the beach than swimming and there are few places on AC to do that. Placencia Peninsula would be a better choice for them probably. The beaches themselves aren't much on AC.

Susan Guberman-Garcia, Attorney at Law. Phone: 510-792-2639
Fax/Voicemail:: 510-405-2016 Email: [email protected]

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 297 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.