FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, Reef TV, KREM, and CTV 3. Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, Belize Now, Talk Ah Di Town, and other specials.

The San Pedro Sun

Street rehabilitation in San Juan Area on pause
In July of this year, The San Pedro Town Council (SPTC) embarked on a project to rehabilitate several streets on the Boca del Rio and San Juan Area. Three streets (Sea Gull, Spider Lily and Deer) were cemented and then works moved to the San Juan Sub-division. Works seemed to be going as planned, but then all labour came to an abrupt halt. All that was allegedly completed was a concrete side walk, and up to date, works are yet to resume. Mayor Daniel Guerrero had previously indicated that the rehabilitation on the main street of San Juan was part of phase two that followed the completion on the streets at Boca del Rio. The reason for cementing the said streets was due its heavy traffic and the fact that one of them leads to the high school and residential areas.

Wolfe’s Woofer: Who Is It?
“I don’t know what to do,” Father Michael said to me. “I usually teach religion here at the school but I also have to substitute for the history teacher until the end of the term. When they get into the history class, they no longer respond to me.” I said, “They’re probably just used to seeing you as a religion teacher. Why don’t you start the class with something about what’s going on right now in their lives?” “That’s a great idea,” he said. “Why don’t you come observe the class and I’ll talk about Christmas.”

UDP Condemns Acts of Violence Against Women
The United Democratic Party strongly condemns any act of violence against women and girls and any threat of such violence whether done in private or in a public space. The UDP expresses grave concern over a despicable and outrageous post made on social media in which the wife of a media personality was threatened with sexual assault. The Party expects that the police will look urgently into this matter and will provide the required support if and when the family chooses to pursue the matter in the courts. There should be no place in our country for this kind of reprehensible behavior to find succor and there certainly is no place within our Party for this type of conduct.

Doctor Love: Leviticus Eighteen
Dear Doctor Love, I was listening to the kids play “wedding” in the yard and I was shocked to hear my four-year-old son say he didn’t want to marry the little girl—he wanted to marry his friend—a boy. They all started screaming and laughing and the wedding immediately turned into a game of tag of who wanted to marry who, so it was forgotten. This isn’t the first time he has made comments like that. He said he wants to wear his sisters’ uniform when he goes to school. I am a Christian woman and I believe that in the eyes of God, boys marry girls, not other boys. I don’t want my son thinking it is okay for boys to be with boys. How should I bring it up with him before it happens again? /s/Leviticus Eighteen

Various Belizean Sources

mzz

LIV Summit of the Heads of State and Government of the Central American Integration System (SICA)
The representatives of the heads of state and government of Central American countries assembled in San Salvador, El Salvador for the LIV Summit of the Heads of State and Government of the Central American Integration System (SICA). Under the Presidency of El Salvador, the representatives of the heads of state and government discussed the progress made under the region’s integration agenda on areas including migration, sustainable development, regional security, social and economic development, and climate change. The representatives also acknowledged the importance and necessity for regional integration strengthening and enhanced political dialogue especially with the current global changes and challenges.

Gifts for the children of Caye Caulker
Gifts have been received for the children of Caye Caulker from our Area Representative, Mr. Manuel Heredia and a anonymous donor from the U.S.A. The Caye Caulker Village Council invite all children up to the age of 12 to come and receive a gift from Santa. Come out and take pictures with the big Christmas Tree or Gingerbread man tomorrow at 5:00 p.m. at the Community Center. Thank you.

Trash Barrels Installed in Corozal
It is truly amazing how a single effort of an idea to install decorated trash barrels in our Corozal Town has just blossomed so immensely and adopted by many of our major Corozal Communities. Progresso Village is the next major community in line to adopt the idea of installing trash barrels around its village. Through the efforts of the village council, villagers, and our own local artist Ney Carlos, these drums have been installed. If you are interested in donating a decorated trash barrel for the village of Progresso, please contact Ney Carlos at 668-1286. We take this opportunity to wish everyone a Merry and Triumphant Christmas. Keep Progresso Village Safe & Clean. One Love!

Jewel Fury Threepeat
Congratulations, Jewel Fury! They've won 3 times in a row. "We present to you The back to back to back CHAMPIONS JEWEL fury NAWL NATIONAL CHAMPIONS CONGRATULATIONS LADIES"

2019 Belize Krismus Bruckdong Bram Festival in commemoration of the life of Mr. Peters
Whew! I just got up from a 20hr day yesterday. Still in bed and Knocked out. My vacation starts today, so I will have some time to recover. The 2019 version of the Krismus Brudong Bram Festival is now in the history books. It was not supposed to have happened this year. Earlier in the year, I was told that the Project would be focussing mainly on the hard components, which are the buildings we are currently constructing. About six weeks ago, we got the green light to conduct this year's version. Last night was the culmination of a fire storm of planning and execution. We have conducted four of these Krismus Brams since 2016, but I believe the 2019 version was the best from my point of view. All of the performers executed their performances on cue for the most part. It was a live event and I am happy it went flawlessly thanks to Orson Picart and Dolores Aguilar, my Assistant Coordinators.

The Nukux Tat
The Nukux Tat is the Maya guardian spirit of the forest , animals and humans . They are also known as Tata Duende, Yuum Balam ,Tata Balam or Balames . They are a very important part of the spirituality between the Yucatec Maya of Belize .

Ek' Balam poktapok team from Yo Creek Village Orange Walk

The Reporter

Crime-Stoppers Sends Out Appeal To Catch Rapist Taximan
Crime Stoppers Belize has sent out a plea to taxi-drivers in Belize City to provide any information they can which would assist in the detention of a taxi-driver who has been accused by a minor of assault and rape.

MURDERED JOHN DOE IDENTIFIED
Police sources have told the Reporter that the man who was found murdered at a bus stop on the San Antonio Road in Toledo early Saturday morning has been officially identified.

Police Thwart Possible Murder
Five men are currently in Police custody, pending possible charges of Kidnapping and Attempted Murder, after Police responded to the scene of a brutal beating near Mile 3.5 on the George Price Highway around midday Saturday.

Cop Convicted of Sexual Assault of 8 yr. old Girl
A man whose job was to uphold the law finds himself facing a minimum of 12 years imprisonment after he was convicted on Tuesday of sexual assault upon an eight year-old girl.

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

Two officers reportedly shot in Santa Cruz
Reports to BBN is that two officers, at least one of which is a BDF […]

Murder victim identified as Jalacte resident
Police have identified the victim who was found dead near the bus stop at the […]

Over $16,000 in cash and other items stolen from tourists in San Pedro
Authorities are investigating a report of armed robbery in San Pedro. Police reports indicate that […]

SUV belonging to Heritage Bank damaged by fire
Authorities are investigating the cause of a vehicle fire that occurred around 2:20 this morning. […]

Travelmyth says Belizean resort has one of the best pools in the world
Travelmyth, a hotel search engine dedicated to helping travelers find unique hotels for specific vacations, […]

Belize represented at LIV Summit of the Heads of State and Government of SICA
Last week, representatives of the heads of state and governments of Central American countries assembled […]

PM Barrow says absent Gaspar Vega still paid for not showing up to House, “impossible” to remove him
Representative for Orange Walk North, Gaspar Vega, will end 2019 having missed all meetings of the […]

San Ignacio family seeks assistance for anemic son
A San Ignacio family is desperate for public assistance for their three-year-old son, Jahziel Choj, […]

Police award officers for outstanding performance
On Friday, Minister of National Security, John Saldivar; Commissioner of Police Chester Williams and Senior […]

Santa Elena teen found safe
Posted: Sunday, December 22, 2019. 8:31 am CST. By BBN Staff: The family of 16-year-old Corinth Petillo have informed Breaking Belize News that the minor ...

Blogs

Jungle Tours
Belize is a small country in Central America, well known for its vast jungle and pristine wildlife. This jungle covers most of the mainland and is home to various species of wildlife, birds, and many flowers/medicinal plants. There are many things for you to see and discover in this tropical wonderland; which means we have a variety of tours for you to choose from. Glide through the jungle on one of Belize’s most famous areas to zip line. Whether it is at Jaguar Paw, Mayflower National Park, or at Ian Anderson’s Caves Branch; each offers a range of zip lines that goes higher than the other. This gives you an amazing aerial view of the rainforest and waterfalls.

Happy Holidays from Belize!
If the water is not your thing, then get out your rented golf cart or grab a stool at the local bar to enjoy the festival of lights all on golf carts. You will see and hear parades of children making merry Christmas music as they stroll along the streets, following lit up golf carts. This extravaganza is filled with so much love from locals, local expats, and visitors from afar! Get down to Boca Del Rio early to grab a spot as this parade is one you won’t want to miss as you celebrate your Holiday time in Belize!

Your Ultimate Belize Packing List
I severely underestimated what I would need to pack for our trip to Belize. Unfamiliar with Central America, I naively assumed I could buy what I needed on the go. As a result, I loosely packed for our trip thinking mostly I would need light loose flowing dresses, t-shirts, and tank tops. I gave little thought to the cold snap that was about to hit, or to the insects that call Belize home that would soon gnaw on my exposed limbs. Learn from my mistakes with this comprehensive Belize packing list.

Belize:the perfect destination for a Girlfriend Getaway
When it comes to getting away with your friends, nothing sounds better in the middle of winter than a warm destination South of the border. But when it comes to you and your friends, you are looking for a little more than an “all-inclusive drunken debauchery long weekend away.” Enter Belize. Belize has absolutely everything you could want in an ideal girlfriend getaway: -Excellent Spas [check] -Comfortable accommodations with great common areas [check] -Great food [check] ...

The Best Hotels and Resorts in the Caribbean and Atlantic Islands: The 2020 Gold List
This year’s Gold List of our editors’ favorite hotels, resorts, and cruise ships in the world is created by teams in New York and London. It spans six continents and 49 countries. They’re gold as in exceptional. Gold as in classic. Gold as in brilliant. Gold as in you’d do it all tomorrow. Of the Coppola clan’s two exceptional ecolodges in Belize, the mangrove-encircled Turtle Inn, in the fishing village of Placencia, is where their cinematic vision really kicks in: thatched cottages with hand-carved Balinese doors, rustic-Italian dishes flavored with items from the organic garden, and a private castaway island, Coral Caye, with hammocks for post- snorkel naps.

International Sourcesizz

The Most Magical Places in the World to Elope
The most refreshing thing about wedding trends and traditions these days is that they run the gamut from big, fat, and steeped in culture and religion to untraditional, small, and in far-flung locales, and everything in between. They’re all wonderful and special. When it comes to taking those experiences to a magical level and discovering unique destinations that will make you audibly gasp, Mahla Pourshamsa, founder of The Eventeur, is the one to have on speed dial. Here we asked her to flip through her secret black book of destinations around the world that are perfect for you and your S.O. to elope and make it official official. “I often say if I had any amount of money to go anywhere in the world, I’d choose Belize over and over again. X’tan Ha, specifically, is located on some of the best strip of the beach in Ambergris Caye, where you can walk for what feels like miles before the water barely goes above your ankles. Ever dreamed of an elopement mid-water with your toes in warm Caribbean sand? This is it.”

Belize PM confident economy will grow
The Belize government says it remains optimistic that the country will record economic growth during the fourth quarter of this year. Revised figures released by the Statistical Institute of Belize (SIB) show that there was a contraction in the third quarter. The SIB said that the percent change within the secondary sector, within which electricity production falls, was adjusted from a 4.5 per cent rate of growth to a decrease 10.8 per cent.

A Partnership Between VIU and Belize
Vancouver Island University is assisting with the development of programs to help students in Belize in forestry and adapting to climate change. V-I-U, along with other institutions in Canada, will be working over the next three and a half years with post-secondary institutions in Belize. The goal is to create tailor-made programs in agro-forestry, fisheries, and related preparatory programs to assist student entry to higher levels of education. VIU is leading an 825-thousand Institutional Partnership to assist the University of Belize and a technical institute deliver skills training programs that meet economic and environmental needs in the region.

Videos

• Wait for it... Jaguar #2!!!, 11sec. Videos sometimes pick up more that still photos. From La Milpa, Belize

• The first Custard Apples are ripe on this tree in San Antonio and the Collared Aracaris came to feed yesterday, 1/2min.

• Season's Greetings from the Special Envoy for Women and Children!, 1.5min. We wish you all a Merry Christmas and a prosperous New Year!

• Scuba Diving in Belize, 4min. Ambergris Caye, Belize in December 2019

• CLP Leadership Impact Series - Belize, 15min.

• Christmas play St. John's Cathedral Belize City., 5min. December 21, 2019 Fr. Lloyd Taylor Service.

• Scuba Adventures 2019 - You Better Belize It!, 4min. A short reel of my scuba dives in Belize.

• Swimming with Sharks and Stingrays! 2019 Belize Vacation - Caye Caulker, 4.5min. Snorkeling tour at Hol Chan Marine Reserve, Shark and Sting Ray Alley, and colorful coral gardens. Swam with nurse sharks, southern stingrays, and many coral reefs! Also fed tarpons and saw some seahorses!

• Vacation in Belize - IncrediBelizable!, 26min. Vacation in Belize and Guatemala, November 26 - December 5, 2019. We stayed at Singing Sands Inn in Maya Beach, Belize where we snorkeled at Silk Caye and Glover's Reef. Traveled to San Ignacio, Belize for a night where we stayed at Martha's Guesthouse. Overnight trip to Tikal, Guatemala. Two nights at Pook's Hill, Belize. Not shown in this video is a tour of the Actun Tunichil Muknal (ATM) Cave.

• From Punta Gorda Belize to Belize City Belize, 4min. We didn't have cell phones service our phones only worked with WIFI. Driving through the Belizean Rain Forest. I was so nervous.

• Belize 2019, 7min.