Next Thread
Print Thread
San Pedro Police Run Up 6 Figure Hotel Bill, Who Will Pay? #540055
01/14/20 06:00 AM
01/14/20 06:00 AM
oregon, spr
Marty Offline OP

Marty  Offline OP

The Belize Police Department owes a San Pedro hotel over a hundred thousand dollars. The hefty hotel tab is reportedly for accommodations for officers who have been working on the island. According to the Commissioner of Police, the Belize Police Department will not pay the six figure bill in its entirety. He says that it has to be a shared responsibility. At today’s briefing, ComPol Chester Williams didn’t say exactly who else should pick up the tab but he did say that he will be meeting with industry partners.  Here’s how Williams explains it.

Chester Williams, Commissioner of Police

“Yes, the police officers have been staying at a hotel in San Pedro due to the unavailability of accommodations. I had been asking questions several times last year as to who was footing the bill because I had not seen any request for payment. Certain things were said to me as it relates to who is paying the bill and suddenly I saw something came in with an arrear, as you said, a six figure arrears. It is something that we will have to discuss with the proprietor of the establishment to see what can be worked out and who is going to pay the bill. I can say for sure that the police department is not going to pay the bill in its entirety. It has to be a shared responsibility.”

Reporter

“With the community; with whom?”

Chester Williams

“We will decide that when the time comes. In the time being, I have directed that the officers vacate that hotel immediately and we are trying to see how we can find alternative accommodation for them. At the end of the day we do understand the nature of San Pedro and the fragileness of tourism industry. So, I cannot say that I am going to withdraw the officers from there but rather to say that we will seek alternative accommodations. As much as the people need the island to be safe to be able to further the tourism business then we have to work together, as you said shared responsibility, in order to ensure that we have adequate number of officers on the island to make it safe. I am sure that they would agree that for the past six months since the officers went out and the new commander was installed, they have seen a drastic reduction in crime on the island and tourism industry is coming back on stream. I don’t want it to regress; we want to ensure that whatever we do will enhance the efforts that the police have already made on the island. I will meet with the proprietor of the establishment, meet with BTB and also meet with the San Pedro chapter of the BTIA and I believe that between the four of us we should be able to come up with some amicable solution to resolve the issue.”

Channel 5

Re: San Pedro Police Run Up 6 Figure Hotel Bill, Who Will Pay? [Re: Marty] #540070
01/15/20 05:28 AM
01/15/20 05:28 AM
oregon, spr
Marty Offline OP

Marty  Offline OP

Chester’s Six Figure Hotel Bill

Since June of last year when a tourist was murdered on San Pedro, police have dramatically increased their presence on the island.

But the additional cops had no place to stay and they had to be put up at Pedro's Inn for more than 6 months.

But, police have now gotten the bill for that and we are told it's one hundred thousand dollars.

We asked the commissioner about it yesterday - and he seemed reluctant to discuss:

Jules Vasquez
"We have heard that your officers have been staying at a hotel in San Pedro doing their lawful business, their lawful duties, but that the police department has a six figure arrears at said accommodations, at the accommodations. Is this something that you're aware of?"

"(Sighs) Let me see how to answer this one. Yes, police officers have been staying at a hotel in San Pedro. Due to the unavailability of accommodations. I had been asking questions several times last year as to who is footing the bill because, ahm, I have not seen any request for payment. Certain things were said to me as it relates to who is paying the bill. And, sudden one, I saw something came in with an arrears as you said, a six figure arrears. It is something that we will have to discuss with the proprietor of the establishment to see what can be worked out, and who is going to pay the bill. I can say for sure that the police department is not going to pay the bill in its entirety, it has to be a shared responsibility."

Jules Vasquez
"With the community? With who?"

"We'll decide that when the time comes. In the time being I have directed that the officers vacate that hotel immediately, and we're trying to see how we can find alternative accommodations for them."

"At the end of the day we do understand the nature of San Pedro and the fragility of the tourism industry, and so I cannot say that I am going to withdraw the officers from there, but, rather to say that we'll seek alternative accommodations. And, as much as the people of San Pedro need to be safe to be able to further their tourism business, then we have to work together like you said shared responsibility in order to ensure that we have adequate number of officers on island to make it safe."

"So we will see going froward, I will have to meet with the proprietor of the establishment; I will meet with the BTB; and I am going to meet with the San Pedro chapter of BTIA. And I believe that between the four of us we should be able to come up with some amicable solution to resolve the issue."

We have confirmed that police have since moved out of the building while the local chapter of the BTIA has said it is broke and cannot help to pay.

Channel 7

Re: San Pedro Police Run Up 6 Figure Hotel Bill, Who Will Pay? [Re: Marty] #540118
01/18/20 05:11 AM
01/18/20 05:11 AM
oregon, spr
Marty Offline OP

Marty  Offline OP

COMPOL Says Cops Will Leave Pedro’s Inn, Eventually

On Tuesday night, we told you that the police had racked up a 6 figure bill at Pedro's Inn in San Pedro. That's because the cops had added deployments of officers staying at the hotel since the middle of last year, when crime spiked to a dangerous high on the island. Since the, the added police presence has brought down the crime - but at a cost.

And, the question tonight is, who will pay the hundred thousand dollar tab? Word to us is that despite the Commissioner's claims to the contrary, the police officers are still saying at Pedro's Inn and the bill continues to climb. Today when the press asked the commissioner about it, he says he expects to order to be complied with and the cops will be moving:

Chester Williams, Commissioner Of Police
"I have no need to lie, I am not going to go into a back and forth with Mr Lawrence, he is a businessman, the police stayed at his place a bill has been racked up and it needs to be paid, bottom line. I'm not saying that he's not going to be paid. It has to be paid in terms of whether the officers vacate I said on Monday I have given instructions for our officers to vacate immediately and that instruction was given to Mr Noble. So if it is that Mr Noble has not complied with my instructions then that's another story that he and I will have that discussion over. I do not expect that our officers are still staying at that hotel or any hotel per se. I have said to Mr Noble that we need to find an alternative accommodation that is not going to have those substantial costs upon the people of Belize."

As we told you on Tuesday, the commissioner believes the responsibility for the 6 figure tab falls somewhere between the Police Department, the BTB and the San Pedro chapter of the BTIA.

On Tuesday we reported that the local chapter of the BTIA was broke and could not pay its part. But, we have since been told that's not right. Here is the official position:

Chairwoman for the San Pedro Belize Tourism Industry Association Tamara Sniffin stated, quote, "We've have always maintained that we would do what we can (within our means) to assist our local police force, but until we can meet with ComPol we can not comment on his suggestion that the organization assist with the outstanding hotel bill." Sniffin reported that the local BTIA chapter did provide support to the police for several days in July last year with meals, transportation, and some accommodations when the additional officers first arrived on the island, but they never agreed to provide financial support.

Channel 7

Re: San Pedro Police Run Up 6 Figure Hotel Bill, Who Will Pay? [Re: Marty] #540131
01/18/20 08:12 AM
01/18/20 08:12 AM
San Pedro AC Belize
Diane Campbell Offline
Diane Campbell  Offline
I propose that 10% from each trades license on the island be put towards this bill. AND $$$$ from the BTB - the hotel tax is paid for by our guests - it seems reasonable that a portion - again perhaps 10% be put back into policing the community that generates the tax? $100,000 is a lot of money but with the amount being collected in the two venues noted above, it's an easy bill to pay.

Links
Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
ReefTV
Love FM
The Reporter
PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater
San Pedro Fun Finder
Paradise Guy Event Calendar
Cayo Event Calendar

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Belize Happy Adventures
Conch Creative
Caribbean Culture & Lifestyle
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Click for Ian Anderson's Caves Branch, Welcome to a World of Adventure
Lil Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
January
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
ShoutChat Box
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 362 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics70,396
Posts478,547
Members19,574
Most Online2,982
Jan 29th, 2019

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.