FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, Reef TV, KREM, and CTV 3. Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, Belize Now, Talk Ah Di Town, and other specials.

The San Pedro Sun

Wolfe’s Woofer: Efficiency
“Ah, Dennis Wolfe. I figured you’d be out here drinking coffee.” “Hey, Archie,” I said. “How is business?” Archie is the managing partner of a builder’s supply store in Dangriga. I was having my morning coffee on the deck of the Holiday Hotel when he joined me. “Our store plods along but we spend too much time and money doing things slowly and wastefully instead of efficiently,” he said.

Embassy of the Republic of Indonesia in Mexico City Officially Opens Registration for Two Scholarships to Belizean Students
The Embassy of the Republic of Indonesia in Mexico City takes this opportunity to inform Belizean students that they have officially opened registration for two scholarships: Darmasiswa Scholarship 2020/2021 and Indonesian Art and Culture Scholarship 2020 to students from Belize.

Doctor Love: Questioning in San Pedro
Dear Doctor Love, My boyfriend has over a thousand female friends on his Facebook page. The guys he has on his friends list are mostly people he knows but he doesn’t even know most of the girls, he just accepts any friend request he gets. I am not normally jealous but sometimes I get a little upset when some girl posts photos on his page of her wearing a bra or jiggling her behind and he responds.

Various Belizean Sources

mzz

Mr. Belizario (Belly) Martinez passes away
R.I.P. to Mr. Belizario (Belly) Martinez. May he rest in peace and rise in glory. Another Caye Caulker icon gone.

Placencia Sidewalk Arts Festival
Placencia Btia the official organizer of the Placencia Sidewalk Arts festival happening on February 8-9, 2020. Don’t miss out! Booths still available contact [email protected] for more details.

Congratulations, Verdes FC! They defeated the Pirates 2-1
In related news, the Bandits Sports also won their match today against the BDF, 5-0. Well done!

Mobile Market Belize
The Mobile Market Belize website is live. https://www.mobilemarketbz.com/ They have a wide selection of fresh and healthy products.

Civic Engagement Activity
The Civic Engagement Activity continues today in San Ignacio which is led by our 2019 Youth Ambassadors. Let us show them appreciation and love for taking the bold lead in reducing pollution and promoting a clean environment.

Lunar New Year Banque
Invited as one of the VIP guests, Ambassador Remus Li-Kuo Chen gave his best wishes of happiness, prosperity, and success for the Year of Golden Mouse to hundreds of members of Belize Chinese Association (BCA) at its annual Lunar New Year Banquet on Sunday, Jan. 26.

Amandala

Another suspected drug plane land
ANOTHER SUSPECTED DRUG PLANE LANDED IN BELIZE, THIS TIME IN THE SOUTH. THE PLANE WAS FOUND PARTIALLY BURNT WITH NO CARGO.

The Reporter

Another Drug Plane: This Time In Toledo District
Just a few days ago we reported the landing of a suspected drug plane (Jet) which landed on a dirt road near Guinea Grass village. (News Article) Today, Sunday January 26th., another suspected drug plane was found.

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

Another weekend murder in southern Belize
Breaking Belize News (BBN) has received reports of another murder in southern Belize, this time […]

Akeem Baptist to be tried for beating up ex-partner
Appearing before Senior Magistrate Aretha Ford Friday morning, 23-year-old Akeem Baptist learned he will be […]

Trial for alleged sex assault of 5-year-old-child
Senior Magistrate Aretha Ford has committed 57-year-old Baltazar Vasquez to trial in the Supreme Court […]

Judge to decide attempted murder case of David Melendez
Justice of the Supreme Court, Colin Williams, who is hearing the trial by judge of […]

Koffee, teenage Jamaican star, is first female Grammy winner for Best Reggae Album
Mikayla Simpson, 19, alias Koffee, from Spanish Town, Jamaica, made history tonight with a Grammy […]

New regional youth executive eyes economic empowerment at summit
Photo Credit: Caribbean Regional Youth Council The Sixth Caribbean Youth Leaders’ Summit was held toward the […]

Kareem Musa bashes PM Barrow’s “lame excuse” on Saldivar/Dermen saga
Attorney and area representative for Caribbean Shores, Kareem Musa, does not buy Prime Minister Dean Barrow’s […]

Police find guns and ammo at police checkpoint
Police in the west discovered illegal guns and ammunition during a vehicle search at a […]

Belize and world mourn loss of basketball icon Kobe Bryant, and daughter killed in tragic crash
Fans of basketball and Kobe Bryant around the world are mourning the shocking and sudden […]

Yes, You Can Buy a Beach House in Placencia Belize
Your timing is perfect if buying a Belize beachfront home has made it to the […]s slowly and wastefully instead of efficiently,” he said.

Coronavirus case confirmed in Mexico
Аѕ mоrе саѕеѕ оf thе dаngеrоuѕ humаn соrоnаvіruѕ НКU1 (НСоV-НКU1) соntіnuе tо рор uр аll оvеr thе wоrld, thе mеdіа іn Мехісо hаѕ rероrtеd thаt thе соuntrу hаѕ ѕееn іtѕ fіrѕt соnfіrmеd саѕе.

Authorities discover another suspected drug plane
Јuѕt dауѕ аftеr thе dіѕсоvеrу оf а ѕuѕресtеd drug рlаnе bеtwееn Сrооkеd Тrее аnd Ѕhіруаrd, Веlіzеаn аuthоrіtіеѕ fоund tоdау аnоthеr ѕuѕресtеd drug рlаnе.

Blogs

Charming Caye Caulker – I Have LOTS More to Do
Silly, SILLY me. I thought I’d be able to get a thorough read on Caye Caulker in just a few days. I mean…I’ve been there at least 30 times…maybe more. But rarely overnight. In reality this two night, three day stay helped me get a feel for Caye Caulker but I have SOOOO much more to see and eat and experience…so many more people to talk before I can even start to think of a book. News flash: Caye Caulker is NOT centered around the Split so much anymore. There is a TON going on!

How To Prepare For Solo Travelling In Belize
Are you an adventurous solo traveler looking for a destination that’s off the beaten path? Head to Belize, where you’ll find a friendly welcome and a wealth of exciting adventures. If you have a valid US or Canadian passport, you can stay in Belize for up to 30 days. However, your passport must be valid for a minimum of six months after your entry date. If you’re planning to do any jungle hiking or walking around the Maya ruins, you should bring sturdy, comfortable hiking boots or walking shoes.

Ambergris Caye Belize Welcomes New Alaia Resort
A new resort is giving travelers an upscale option when they book a stay on scenic, colorful Ambergris Caye. The Alaia Resort is an exciting new development that is sure to make a splash on Belize’s most popular island. Alaia is part of the Marriott Corporation’s Autograph collection. Hotels in the Autograph line are upscale, exclusive properties with their own distinctive character. The finished resort will have 35 hotel rooms, 56 two-bedroom condominiums, and eight oceanfront villas. It will have amazing onsite services including a dive club, rooftop pool, art gallery, restaurants, fitness center, spa, guest-exclusive nightclub and more.

In Loving Memory to an Icon in Conservation & Awareness: Ziggy the Iguana
It is with deepest regret that the Green Iguana Conservation Project and San Ignacio Resort Hotel team announces the untimely passing of Ziggy the Iguana, the iconic star for the Project for the past 6 years. On January 10, Ziggy fell victim to a confrontation with one of the alpha males in the enclosure during which he suffered multiple injuries. The GICP Administration team quickly responded with providing Ziggy medical attention and administering him to the Belize Wildlife & Referral Clinic (BWRC) - a long-term partner of the Project. After three days of treatment and medical care to alleviate the impact of the injuries, it was sorrowfully agreed that euthanizing Ziggy would be the most humane alternative.

The Many Faces of Belize
As a young hair dresser growing up in Indianapolis Indiana, Kim yearned for travel and adventure. So much so that she joined a travel club to explore her fantasies. In anticipation of her club’s trip to Ambergris Caye off the coast of Belize, Kim became certified as a scuba diver. The time came and off she went with the others in the club for her first big adventure. When they arrived at the island, it was everything she had imagined. After returning home, she was immediately longing to return to her fantasy island in the Caribbean. She did return again in short order and felt that the island was calling to her. That second trip spawned a third where she would come alone and see if it truly fit her. As they say, the third time’s a charm and she decided that Ambergris Caye would be her new home. She fell in love with the people, the lifestyle and the culture. That was in January of 1985 and she has lived here ever since.

If you have missed any latest news out of Belize, here is your update!
I've been in Belize for 6 years, and I'm not sure I have ever seen Belize in the news more than in the last month. Generally around the turn of the year, many news outlets will come out with their "Best of" the prior year and the "Must-Do's" for the new year. Belize landed on SO many of these lists!! I think some of the reasons are that there has been a lot of new direct flights here, there has also been some buzz because of some of the big chain hotels that have started to crop up on Ambergris Caye. This has brought a slew of new tourists to Belize that perhaps would not have come otherwise (many came through Hilton points to the new Mahogany Bay on Ambergris Caye) and Wyndham bought Costa Blu, and is building a larger facility on the island, plus Margaritaville is supposed to open this year.

WHAT AND WHERE TO EAT IN BELIZE
So…we went to Belize! After four years of not truly vacationing together, the tulip-man and I decided that enough was enough and booked tickets to Belize. In picking the vacation spot, our stipulations were that: It was a short flight from Atlanta, near where we spent Christmas It had beaches, because after four years of no vacation the tulip-man needed some white sand therapy It had scuba diving, because I’ve always wanted to learn It didn’t cost a fortune to get to, never mind the fact that we planned the vacation in high season (between Christmas and New Years)

Go Snorkeling Off The Coast Of Placencia
The Silk Cayes are a popular destination off the coast of Placencia. We originally intended on going to Silk Caye but ended up going to two very small islands instead. Snorkeling off the coast of Placencia was my favorite adventure of the trip. It was a gorgeous day outside, the sun was shining and we got picked up in Da Ragga Dat, a rasta colored speedboat with rum punch on board. Our first stop was Rum Caye, a tiny local fisherman island. The island itself was dirty from use, but the water surrounding it was stunning and clean. Belize works hard to preserve it’s reefs. The water here was crystal clear and full of life. We went snorkeling around the perimeter of the island spotting all kinds of fish and a massive sting ray. The string ray must’ve had around a 12 foot wing span.

Where to Find the Most Spectacular Wildlife in San Ignacio Belize
Giant iguanas, exotic birds, turtles and amphibians that resemble pre-Columbian creatures line the banks and waters of the Macal River, so if you are able to paddle and observe at the same time, take the Western Highway from Cahal Pech Village Resort and drive until you spot the canoe landing. Overhead, a rainbow of birds wing their way downstream, the most colorful of which are likely Kingfishers and Toucans. Whether you paddle past rock canyons, greenery and wildlife along the Macal on your own or hire a guide, this trip makes for great memories.

Beat the heat at these Top 5 Secret swimming spots in Belize
The dry season in Belize runs from approximately the end of November through the end of May, and it is one of the most popular times of the year for travelers to visit the country. The weather is stunning and temperatures get warm and tourists are compelled to look for scenic locations to beat the heat. Below are the top five secret swimming spots in Belize where you can enjoy a refreshing dip while taking in the natural beauty of the area.

17th Annual Placencia BTIA Sidewalk Art Festival 2020!!
Register to be a vendor at the 17th Annual Placencia BTIA Sidewalk Art Festival 2020!! For more info on how to be apart of this year’s art festival please contact us at 523-4045 or send us an email to [email protected] deadline to register is January 31st, 2020.

Videos

• COROZAL GRAFITTI FESTIVAL 2020, 5min. ONE BIG PARTY! What a wonderful day for our artists, artisans, craft-men and craft-women and our Corozal community. We have always said that Corozal has raw and extreme talent. The only way these events can continue to be successfull is community participation and team work. It takes money and effort to organize and prepare these events. We need to buy the products that are offered from the different artists and vendors on these events. Thanks to everyone who came out, supported and made this event a great success. Here is a video snippet of Part I of our 2020 Grafitti Festival under the theme " Ancient Chactemal".

• Verdes vs OW Rebels, 3.5min. The Verdes Basketball team defeated the Running Rebels 82-76. Mary Robinson from Adma's Photos created a really nice video showing the entire experience.

• Our travels through Belize~2020, 7.5min. Mary and I spent 3 weeks in Belize, cramming in as much fun as we could. This video tries to capture that.

• Belize - Turneffe Atoll, 12min.

• Belize Honeymoon, 3.5min. Joel and Makenzie's honeymoon in Belize (& Guatemala)! We spent 5 days in San Ignacio and got to explore: Actun Tunichil Muknal, Tikal, Xunantunich, cave tubing, and chocolate making! Then we spent 5 days on Ambergris Caye!

• Snorkeling with sharks and stingrays in Belize, 10min.

• Benny's Belize Hurricanes VS san pedro tiger sharks, 1min. Halftime show.

• Belize 2020 - Dance Monkey, 3.5min.

• When your polly decides he is a rebel!, min. Birding in Belize City mein... Nope! Pauly does not want a frickin' cracker!!!

• Upstream River Challenge Finish, .5min. There is nothing like a good sprint to the finish line! Team NICH takes the Upstream River Challenge with a time of 2:06:17! Congratulations to our paddlers Felix, Efrain and Alex Cruz and team manager Brian Woodye!