Aggressive dogs #540302
01/29/20 03:16 PM
01/29/20 03:16 PM
Canada
F
Flyrodinhand Offline OP
Flyrodinhand  Offline OP
F
For many years I have walked the ambergris beaches from as far south as El pescador all the way up to Rocky Point.

Last year we encountered aggressive dogs, at large, south of Xtan ha. I talked to the owner who was clearly ambivalent and would only say that the dogs won't hurt anyone. Apart from the fact that this is entirely not the point, a dog owner who cannot or will not train dogs to behave, certainly cannot predict if and when aggressive behavior turns to deadly behavior, especially when the dogs are roaming in a small pack.

So we don't go to that part of the public beach anymore, likely satisfying the owner's objective.

This year there are several locations where there are aggressive dogs at large. On Saturday I had my pant leg grabbed by one member of a pack of four or five such dogs north of El Secreto.

There are also two aggressive dogs, unrestrained, at El Secreto that come charging out barking and growling. So far backing down when I stand my ground. But this is a tradegy in the making. It is simply irresponsible for the bank or whomever is holding the paper to this property to allow this situation to continue.

I first started visiting AC in 2001 and have been back at least once per year since. We usually stay 3 to 4 weeks. This dog situation is a recent thing, but it is one more in a growing list of controllable issues that have us looking for alternative destinations.

It is remarkable to me that a region who's economy is virtually entirely dependent on visitors, would allow things like this to continue.

For the record, my experience with the majority of local dogs and their owners has been positive.

Last edited by Flyrodinhand; 01/29/20 09:49 PM. Reason: Typos
Re: Aggressive dogs [Re: Flyrodinhand] #540303
01/29/20 07:54 PM
01/29/20 07:54 PM
San Pedro Town, Ambergris Caye...
Amanda Syme Offline

Amanda Syme  Offline
I agree that is absolutely unacceptable behavior. I know people use dogs as a security measure but the beach is public access and if you are attacked and assaulted on the beach that is not okay and can be dangerous and definitely at the very least is it an unpleasant and stressful experience.

Re: Aggressive dogs [Re: Flyrodinhand] #540313
01/30/20 06:54 AM
01/30/20 06:54 AM
San Pedro AC Belize
Diane Campbell Offline
Diane Campbell  Offline
Our neighborhood watch group is faced with this issue from time to time - this area is well north of our group, but I'll mention these locations to the relevant authorities today.

Re: Aggressive dogs [Re: Flyrodinhand] #540314
01/30/20 08:06 AM
01/30/20 08:06 AM
Ambregris Caye
A
AC Lover Offline
AC Lover  Offline
A
Flyrodinhand,
I live just south of Xtan Ha and have been here for 12 years. Which home in this area that you mention has the aggressive dogs? I can surely mention it to the owners and see what I can do to fix the problem. This is not acceptable.
I walk on the beach 5x a week for about 1 1/2 miles each time. I was bitten on the leg by a dog just south of Canary Cove a couple of years ago. So now I have a small stun gun I attach to a belt when I exercise. Just pressing the button for a second scares off any dog that comes near me. They are legal and available from Amazon. I feel perfectly safe now when I walk. FYI......

Re: Aggressive dogs [Re: Flyrodinhand] #540323
01/30/20 05:44 PM
01/30/20 05:44 PM
Canada
F
Flyrodinhand Offline OP
Flyrodinhand  Offline OP
F
We had taken note of the address south of xtan ha and gave it to management here (saffire) but that was last year and as I said we haven't been back since.

I was back past El secreto today, same two dogs same problem, then the property immediately north, another two dogs at large, one pitbull and a mastiff breed I believe.

Then north of that there are three houses, one yellow concrete and then two stick-built houses (one named Chacara Escondito) this is where I had one dog hanging on my pant leg Saturday. Today there were two aggressive dogs at large, one got my fly rod across its nose. Not sure which of these three houses is supposed to be controlling the dogs.

Perhaps if I was in a golf cart they'd leave me alone, but it's just shameful really. Not the dogs, the owners.

Re: Aggressive dogs [Re: Flyrodinhand] #540333
01/31/20 07:11 AM
01/31/20 07:11 AM
M
MikeB Offline
MikeB  Offline
M
The house where you encountered the dogs that tore your pants is owned by Dr. Dan. I'm sure he would take care of this problem if he knew what happened. His caretaker is not a good keeper of the dogs. You should be able to walk the beach without being attacked. I have had several tourists complain to me about those dogs. And NO a golf cart doesn't stop them. They chase everyone.

Re: Aggressive dogs [Re: Flyrodinhand] #540345
01/31/20 11:02 PM
01/31/20 11:02 PM
Pennsylvania, Belize
E
Ecotrekker56 Offline
Ecotrekker56  Offline
E
my suggestion is to carry pepper spray with you and/or a walking stick. a good hit from either will make the dogs rethink attacking you or anyone any further.

Re: Aggressive dogs [Re: Flyrodinhand] #540363
02/01/20 12:56 PM
02/01/20 12:56 PM
Ambregris Caye
A
AC Lover Offline
AC Lover  Offline
A
Ecotrekker56,
Pepper spray works only if the wind is very calm. It's not a particularly effective weapon here. A walking stick is a good idea. And what I suggested to get a small stun gun works great. Just a short burst scares them away. You don't even need to actually touch the animal.

Re: Aggressive dogs [Re: Flyrodinhand] #540364
02/01/20 01:18 PM
02/01/20 01:18 PM
San Pedro Town, Ambergris Caye...
Amanda Syme Offline

Amanda Syme  Offline
My dog just was bitten by a loose beach dog. The San Pedro Animal Hospital has helped. Loose aggressive dogs are a danger to health and safety.

Links
Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
Maruba Beach Klub and Spa is the premiere Secret Beach spa and restaurant located on the crystal blue waters of the Caribbean Sea at the center of Secret Beach, Belize
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
ReefTV
Love FM
The Reporter
PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater
San Pedro Fun Finder
Paradise Guy Event Calendar
Cayo Event Calendar

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Belize Happy Adventures
Conch Creative
Caribbean Culture & Lifestyle
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Click for Ian Anderson's Caves Branch, Welcome to a World of Adventure
Lil Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
ShoutChat Box
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 196 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics72,850
Posts484,792
Members19,740
Most Online2,982
Jan 29th, 2019

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.