Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Tonight many in the twin towns and indeed the nation are mourning the loss of 55 -year-old Richard Harrison. The Former PUP Standard bearer for Cayo North, former owner of B-H orange juice, and co-founder of the La Ruta Maya Race, died today in a road traffic accident between miles 56 and 57 on the George Price Highway.

Harrison was traveling westbound to Belmopan when his SUV was crushed by the cargo of a flatbed truck that was coming from the opposite direction. The flatbed was full of lumber, and it seems that when it whipped around the curve, the lumber slid off, directly unto Harrison's vehicle. He was crushed and trapped inside the vehicle and succumbed to severe head and body injuries by the time emergency personnel were able to extract him. PLUS TV spoke to an eyewitness who wished to appear off camera.

Voice of: Miguel Ara, Eyewitness
"I saw when this truck was coming. I didn't see this vehicle, but when I heard bang, I thought that a tyre was burst. Someone told me that it was a vehicle that got knocked. I sew that the truck tail catch the vehicle, because if only a piece of lumber fell on it, it wouldn't have looked like that. The tail hit the vehicle and it dash the vehicle off the road like that. The second vehicle was coming from behind too had to stop on the boards. We didn't see nobody from the condition the vehicle was in. we stood there watching and the chairlady came and ask what had happened. She went and see and yelled that the guy was still breathing, but nobody couldn't do anything, because they didn't allow it. The first ambulance came and then followed by another and then the police vehicles came."

Reporter
"Do you know this area to be an area where people would try to bang this curve hard?"

"Yes, they bang it real hard. Sometime you see vehicles on the other side in the drain at the culvert head. They can't take the curve."

Reporter
"And now somebody lost their life. What was running through your mind after you learned that?"

"Well I say its carelessness and due to the curve of the road too."

More on Channel 7

Invеѕtіgаtіоn rеvеаlеd thаt thе truсk bеіng drіvеn аt thе tіmе bу Wіlmеr Коrnеlѕоn wаѕ trаvеlіng tо Ѕраnіѕh Lооkоut саrrуіng аѕѕоrtеd ріnе lumbеr whеn thе bundlе ѕtrар dіѕlоdgеd аnd саuѕеd thе ѕесоndаrу ѕtrар ѕесurіng thе lоаd tо burѕt

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
The Belikin La Ruta Maya Belize River Challenge extends condolences to the Harrison family on the passing of Mr. Richard Harrison. Richard Harrison along with his brother Orlando founded and organized the La Ruta Maya Belize River Challenge for many years. Richard was also a writer and activist and up until the time of his passing was advocating for cleaner water through the Clean Water Alliance Project. We will keep you posted on funeral arrangements as we get them. May he rest in peace.

[Linked Image]

====================

by Hector Silva

IT IS A SAD DAY IN SAN IGNACIO, AND BY EXTENSION BELIZE.
A GREAT BELIZEAN HAS PASSED AWAY TRAGICALLY.

A progressive Belizean in the person of Mr. Richard Harrison, has left a VOID.

I say a VOID, because thousands of Belizeans, every 9th March come out to see the RUTA MAYA. They will remember that the BIG H. Harrison Brothers had a VISION to innitiate a River Challenge, from SAN IGNACIO to BELIZE CITY.

This River Challenge over the years has grown to International Standards, and is here to STAY, just as as the Holy Saturday CROSS COUNTRY BICYCLE RACE has remained in perpetuity..

BUT Richard Harrison was more than what we knew of him. - He was one of Belize's super ENTREPRENEURS.

Along with his brothers they were engaged in many products, such as BIG J juices, Chocolate Milk, Coconut Water, - and VERENA PRODUCTS - such as Tomato Ketchup, and VIDA Purified WATER.

Pitiful that Governments are not interested in PRODUCTIVITY,

So the Harrison Brothers were confronted by many Obstacle.

ALL WE CAN SAY NOW IS, " Farewell O good Primo. " BUT BEFORE I SAY NO MORE, I will exercise the Activist that remain in me. -

" I HUMBLY ASK THE MINISTRY OF WORKS and THE SAN IGNACIO and SANTA ELENA TOWN COUNCIL, That present unnamed Bridge be named as the, " RICHARD HARRISON BRIDGE. " - - ( I'll say no more. )

Richard Harrison was a Nation Builder. - Richard Harrison was an Honorable Belizeans. - Richard Harrison was a brave visionary and a man made of STEEL..

I knew Richard Harrison well, and I knew his family as though they were my extended family. ( dear friend Melba and Carlos Harrison, my SJC School Mate. )

Richard Harrison was a brave ENTREPRENEUR, who was at all times ready to take any challenge. - He and his brothers were the Architects of the now famous RUTA MAYA.

In Summary, IT IS A GREAT PITY that Belize did not fully utilize Richard Harrison, whom I consider a Belizean GENIUS.

( But as our good friend Don Lucio Alcozer said in song." NO WAIT TILL THE MAN DEAD, TO TELL AM HE GOOD. ) - ( I had the pleasure to tell him in person that he was doing great.

His last wishes was, - " TO PROTECT AND PRESERVE OUR WATER CLEAN AND HEALTHY. - " REST IN PEACE PRIMO. "

[Linked Image]

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
The Harrison family would like to inform that a wake will be held for Richard Harrison on Wednesday, February 12th on Benque Viejo Road, Cayo District where he resided (next to UNO Gas Station) and funeral services will follow on Thursday, February 13th at 3:00 p.m. at Sacred Heart Church. His soul will lie in state for viewing at 2:00 p.m.
All family and friends are called to this announcement.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 250 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.