FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, Reef TV, KREM, and CTV 3. Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, Belize Now, Talk Ah Di Town, and other specials.

The San Pedro Sun

Wolfe’s Woofer: Maya Pottery
“Wow! Bob and Trina have a beautiful house,” I said to Sherry as we parked the golf cart. “It’s big, too.” “It has to be big,” she said. “With Maya families there are usually several generations living under one roof. So, there’s usually plenty of kids and grandkids around.” “Bob’s not Maya,” I said. “He’s […]

Doctor Love: Desperate
"Physical and emotional betrayal, disrespectful behavior and repeating harmful patterns all break down the trust that married couples need. Lies and shifting blame cause self-doubt and damage self esteem and confidence, creating a wall that is difficult to break down."

Various Belizean Sources

mzz

Firemen Training in Corozal
Since returning to Belize, Rob Riverol has hit the ground running - literally!!These pictures are just a snippet of the work being done with the support of his Lieutenant Kevin Williams. Rob shared his knowledge with both career and volunteers firefighters of the Corozal Fire Station in: Nozzle Forward Hose Management, Hose Lays and Deployment Techniques, and MVC & Extrication. These are just a few of the topics and skills being shared. HEROES TRAINING HEROES!! Strong work Rob Riverol and thank you to Lieutenant Kevin Williams and the Corozal Firefighters for all you do!!

Mass Sunday at La Senora de Asuncion Church to open Women's month
The Caye Caulker Village Council must commend Sgt. Christine Avila and the police officers of the Caye Caulker formation as they led Mass today at La Senora de Asuncion Church to open Women's month. We salute you!

Belize Closed Hunting Seasons

Belmopan Marching Band Calling Drummers and Dancers
Are you a dancer? Are you a drummer??? Meet us at Belmopan Civic Center this coming Thursday at 5pm Lets bring back the Band

2020 Camp Joy 5K Run/Walk
On February 29, BNE's Team "Green Energy" participated in the Camp Joy 5K Run/Walk in aid of people with intellectual disabilities. Thank you to all who participated to highlight this important cause.

Street Art Festival
The 10th annual Street Art Festival was another success! We want to thank all the Artists, participants, partners, sponsors, audiences, the hardworking ICA team, anyone who assisted in anyway to make this a success....Major Thanks!

Maya Cultural Experience — at Yo Creek Village
Miss Felicita Cantun and Joannie Cantun is keeping the Maya Culture alive in Belize. Not only are they sharing the cultural experience but they are also passing the culture and traditions on to the younger generations.

Channel 5

A Grieving Wife Speaks Out
"I would like to start off by saying my condolences to all the family and friends of the deceased. My heart goes out especially to Mrs. Alys Ramirez and her children. I am outraged by the events leading up to the the death of my husband Major Radford Lee Baizar and the others who tragically lost their lives on Thursday in such a horrific manner. Corruption and greed by those entrusted with the delicate task of running our beloved country is now to the point of national humiliation.

Amandala

Double murder in San Ignacio on Saturday night
Around 10:00 p.m. a gunman ambushed a man and a woman, shooting both dead, as they stood outside a business establishment in San Ignacio Town. The incident occurred shortly after Tai Kong Store, located on Joseph Andrews Drive, was closed.The security guard, Shawn Vasquez and Marva Itch were standing in front of the store conversing, when a gunman, who was wearing a hoodie to disguise himself, opened fire, killing both persons.

UDP sets April 5 as convention date, if more than 1 application for party leader is submitted
The United Democratic Party (UDP) held a National Party Council (NPC) meeting at its Youth for the Future Drive headquarters yesterday morning, to chart the way forward to install a new party leader to replace the retiring, longtime leader, Rt. Hon. Dean Barrow (Queen’s Square).

The Reporter

Coronavirus Creates Cruise Ship Scare
This week two more reports surfaced on social media that two ships – one destined for Belize and one already landed – had on board two patients showing signs of the dreaded COVID-19 virus.

Man hospitalized Following Traffic Accident
A man is being hospitalized after yesterday evening’s traffic accident between miles 6 and 7 on the Philip Goldson Highway. (Northern Hwy.) Police sources indicate that sometime around 5:30 p.m., Malcolm Longsworth, 29, of Airport Road, Ladyville, was driving a car in the direction from Belize City...

A Grieving Wife Speaks Out
(The following is a statement from Jennine Thompson-Baizar, wife of Major Radford Lee Baizar, who tragically died while in service of his country) “I would like to start off by saying my condolences to all the family and friends of the deceased. My heart goes out especially to Mrs. Alys Ramirez and her children.

Political Victimization!
During his recent appearance on The Morning Show on Love FM, John Saldivar, quite shockingly and with a cornucopia of arrogance, admitted that political victimization is a Belizean reality.

Editorial: March 1st. 2020
The Belize Council of Churches, an association of all the Christian Churches of Belize, has said that it does not support the proposed Equal Opportunities Bill due to go before the House.

No CoronaVirus In Belize
The number of cases of COVID-19 (also referred to as Coronavirus) has decreased in China – its country of origin, but the virus is expected to continue to spread outside of China, making it a serious disease globally because of the way it is passed on.

Man Stabbed In Belize City
A man is in a stable condition after he was stabbed yesterday evening in Belize City. Reports are that sometime around 6:15 p.m., Thijean Usher, 19, was stabbed...

Cashier and Security Officer Shot Dead in Cayo
A cashier and a security guard were killed last night in San Ignacio, Cayo and a BDF soldier has been detained pending investigations into the incident. Reports reaching the Reporter are that the cashier, Marva Rivera, 32, and the guard, Shann Kevin Vasquez, 32, were leaving the Tia Kong Supermarket on Joseph Andrews Drive...

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

Verdes consolidate PLB lead as Pirates heat up
San Pedro Pirates are aiming to cement their playoff status after a second home win […]

Police hunt cell phone robbers in Belmopan
Belmopan police are looking for two Hispanic men who held up a pair of women […]

Teen boy held in reported sexual assault
A Cayo District teenager is being held on suspicion of sexually assaulting a ten-year-old girl. […]

Cayo Town Council condemns murders
The double murder on Saturday night has rocked the twin towns of San Ignacio and […]

House meets Thursday for Barrow’s last budget presentation
The House of Representatives meets in a special session on Thursday morning, March 5, to […]

Four reportedly injured in Belmopan traffic accident
BBN has received reports of a traffic accident near the FFB Stadium in Belmopan. According […]

Office of Director of Health Services issue update on Coronavirus cases in Latin America
The Office of Director of Health Services issued an update informing that there is no […]

US Embassy’s Chargé D’affaires extends condolences on passing of Belizean soldiers
The US Embassy’s Chargé D’affaires, Keith Gilges, issued a statement extending heartfelt condolences to the […]

Defenders stay top of Elite Basketball League
Digi Belize City Defenders (7-1) have run their winning streak to six after toppling Orange […]

Fallen BDF soldier’s wife speaks out
On Thursday morning, four members of the Belize Defence Force died after their helicopter went […]

Blogs

Finding Favorites On Caye Caulker: Hang-Out Spot, Fry Jacks, Ceviche and More
I’ve spent a good deal of time finding lots of favorites on my home island of Ambergris Caye. Almost 13 years now on the island and I have a favorite coffee spot, I have my favorite rice and beans, my favorite fry jacks, my favorite breakfast taco spot and more…lots more Big Experiences on Caye Caulker. 50? I’m not sure yet. But I’ve been doing research and I have LOTS more to do. I have some favorites*. Asteriks to indicate: SO FAR. Here are a bunch of pictures that I took on my last trip over just a few weeks back AND a few new favorites I’ve found.

EMBRACING GARIFUNA CULTURE AND BEACH LIFE IN HOPKINS, BELIZE
If you head down south, away from the Caribbean vibes and backpacker hotspots of the islands, you’ll find the petite village of Hopkins. This string of local houses, beachfront cabanas and vibrant bars and restaurants is lined with a long sandy beach and crystal clear water. With access to nearby national parks, a serene river trail and an abundance of diving and snorkeling, it’s a brilliant place to visit. It also happens to be much cheaper than the islands and far less touristic.

Belize: One Week, 7 Must-Dos
Tucked just below the Yucatan Peninsula is the stunning jewel of Belize. With rainforests teaming with birds, striking ancient Mayan ruins and the world’s second-longest barrier reef, Belize boasts a dizzying array of activities and sites that could keep one busy for a year. If you are like most, however, you will only have seven vacation days. Here’s a list of must-do activities for that one week in Belize.

8 reasons Belize should be on your radar
From the verdant jungles to the I-can’t-believe-these blues of the coast, Belize is a small Central American nation that packs a punch for those looking for an affordable paradise. We’ve compiled a list of reasons why you need to drop everything right now and book a trip.

Top Canoeing Experiences in Western Belize
Water adventures are a great way for everyone to have some fun and explore the beautiful waters of Western Belize up close. Take an exhilarating journey and see some of the amazing wonders that Cayo has to offer; you might even spot a pre historic dinosaur!

International Sourcesizz

Cassie Griffin takes third mission trip to Belize
Cassie Griffin, a newcomer to the Mohican area, recently returned home from her third mission trip to the tiny Central American country of Belize. “The trips are organized by my uncle, Dave Rankin, and his church, the Lewisburg United Methodist Church, near Dayton,” said Griffin, who is married to Loudonville native Travis Griffin and moved back into his home area a year ago. “Fifteen years ago, before Trav and I were married, Uncle Dave, knowing I had a deep curiosity of the world, invited me to accompany him on a mission trip to the tiny town of San Narciso, Belize.

The Best Wine Bars in Belize
The best wine bars provide an endless array of bottle wine listings served with knowledgeable but gracious and friendly servers. It is also a place that is fair with your pocket and paired with the best charcuterie board of cheese and cured slices of meat. These bars create an ambiance of relaxation, openness, and happy emotions. They also have become the latest fad over the last couple of years all over the world and Belizeans don’t miss a thing. Here is a listing of the best wine bars in Belize. 

How To Enjoy Belize On A Budget | Belize On The Cheap
Instead of a full-service, luxury resort, stay at a locally owned motel, guest house or bed-and-breakfast. You’ll pay less money and still get clean, comfortable accommodations. They often have their gardens and landscaped areas. Some provide their tours, guides, and shuttles. You can support a local business while saving money. Food in Belize can be expensive if it’s imported. If you want to eat your favorite brands, you’re going to pay the price. Why not enjoy delicious, freshly cooked local food? Locally owned diners serve chicken with rice, beans, and tortillas for about $6 a plate. Try a taco or fried conch fritters from a street vendor. Visit one of the many farmer’s markets for fresh food of all kinds. Instead of imported beers and spirits, drink locally made Belikin beer and Belizean rum.

In Fight Against Plastic Pollution, Sikkim Introduces Bamboo Water Bottles For Tourists
A quaint town of Sikkim is set to introduce bamboo water bottles for tourists in a bid to completely stop the use of plastic water bottles and littering. Lachen, arguably the first town to completely ban packaged drinking water bottles, is introducing bamboo bottles as an alternative. Lachen draws lakhs of tourists each year for its snow-capped peaks and picturesque views. As tourism in the town grows, so does plastic water bottles left behind by tourists.

Videos

• MISS UNIVERSE BELIZE DESTINEE ARNOLD ARRIVES ON CAYE CAULKER, 8min.

• MISS UNIVERSE BELIZE DESTINEE ARNOLD ARRIVES IN CAYE CAULKER, 30min.

• BDF Helicopter retrieval, 1min.

• Habafu Garinagu Show, 1hr50min. Discussion on the historical drug bust and the related and unfortunate deaths of four BDF Airmen

• Butterfly Heaven at Green Hills Butterfly Ranch, 1/2min.

• Shenseea was in town, 16min. You've got to appreciate the irony of them starting the intro with a cover of a Eurodance song from 1984: Forever Young.

• Zero Discrimination Day, 3min. It's Zero Discrimination Day, and the Special Envoy for Belize has a message worth watching. Happy March 1st!

• Belize Pantempters Steel Orchestra, Its a whole vybe out here on Albert street at The 2020 Street Art Festival. Musical interlude. The Pantempters Steel Orchestra played at the Street Art Festival yesterday.

• Belize, 2min. Cinematic travel video of Belize and a little of Guatemala.

• Ambergris Caye, San Pedro, Belize, 1min. Canyons!! Diving with Amigos Del Mar

• EXPLORING BELIZE - RIO FRIO PART 2, 4min. This is the second part of my 3 part rio frio adventure! This point we stopped at another part of the main rio frio river this time at a much higher altitude in the pine ridge forest! Because of the climate difference this area was a lot more dry and also much higher in temperature due to direct sun! But what was interesting was the difference in fish species, at a much greater quantity in the many pools like the one found in the video!

• Snorkeling with Sharks in Belize, 1.5min.

• Rappelling Antelope Falls in Belize, 2min. Rappelling from Antelope Falls, in the Mayflower Bocawina National Park, Belize

• San Pedro, Belize - Mahogany Bay Resort, 5.5min. Today I am sharing my full travel guide to San Pedro, Belize. It was one of our favorite family trips and exceeded our expectations. We had the opportunity to stay at Mahogany Bay Resort one of the most beautiful resorts on the island. We also got to snorkel the amazing Belize Barrier Reef. It was one of the most amazing experiences with my family.

• NCL's excursion they don't advertise: Belize Placencia, 5min. Check out this awesome beach community if your docking at Harvest Caye Belize. NCL did not advertise this hidden gem.

• Our Amazing vacation to Belize - Caye Caulker Island including Shark Alley , the reef, and local, 20min. We wanted Island vibe and got it. Snorkeled around island, reef, with nurse sharks and many marine life. Saw seahorse and fed tarpon. Enjoyed Sip n Dip, and the Split. People were very kind. Food was great, both street and restaurant. Can't wait to visit again! We went in July, weather was great.

• San Pedro, Belize with Cathy and Jerry - Ambergris Caye Adventure, 13min. If you're considering a trip to San Pedro, Belize...Do it!! We stayed at Caribbean Villas and had the best time! We absolutely loved this place, and had a great time.

• O National Geographic/Lindblad cruise of the barrier reef of Belize VideoChronicle NGQuest Feb 2020, 16min. We took at Nat Geo/Lindblad tour of the barrier reef of Belize. Amazing naturalists, photographers and crew. Would highly recommend this trip.

• Umberto mixing drinks at the Chaa Creek Bar, Belize, 2min.

• Tody Motmot Belize 2008, 1min. A Tody Motmot deep in the jungle at the superb Chan Chich reserve in Belize.