Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
getting close!!!!! heading down in 2 and a half weeks...

thought i would share some of my preparation....

here's what i'm bringing:
passports
cash/ travellers checks/credit cards
dive cards
sunblock, number 4 and 30, we mix for the ones in between...
some kind of after bite stuff, for skeeters. benadryl, or ambesol, or rhuligel, something like that
anti skeeter stuff, deepwoods off, 1 oz, or this year i'm also going to try the Avon skin-so-soft bug guard 4 oz
bandaids, a couple big ones
neosporin
zinc oxide, just in case one lil spot gets super sunburned
chapstick with sunblock
some kind of tummy medicine, just in case. immodium/tums
sunglasses X2
small sewing kit
film/batteries/lenspaper/extra lens caps, front and back
books to read
tea bags/ coffee
beach towels
handiwipes
scuba masks
microwave popcorn
ziplock bags, small and large
small flashlite
binoculars

will have cokes, grape soda, sprite, orange in room when arrive- call ahead 3 flats for 6 people
12 gallons of water in room ahead of time

[This message has been edited by Marty (edited 06-20-2002).]

What no clothes? [Linked Image]

Dare To Deviate
S
S
Thanks for your support!

- Your friendly U.S. Pharmaceutical Co.

marty: i went to bed, bath & beyond & got the "space saver bags" by samsonite to pack the clothes in. they are much like huge ziplocks with air-release valves. you pack your stuff, then squeeze out all the air. they use 50% less space, and keep the clothes fresh & dry until you need them. send out the wife: you gotta get them. i was so thrilled (the little joys in life)

thanks for the recommendation, KC! u were right!

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
I will note, on the pharmaceutical angle, that most of that crap we bring each time and never touch. we squeeze it into one small bag and bring the same things just in case. never used the bandaids yet. nor the tummy medicine. use a lil bug off each time. needed xinc oxide once, didn't have it, brought it since then, never used it yet.

i have a family, so one has to be a bit more protective and prepared when small children are involved.

actually, a one time investment to the pharmaceutical industry of about $30 got most of the stuff. it has lasted for many trips over many years.

and for clothes, i bring 2 pairs of shorts, plus a tshirt, rarely used, just in case for emergencies like too much sun.

Hey Marty you better check for expiration dates, especially on your bug stuff! We have been using a product for thee years now and never had a problem till this trip. When we returned we were COVERED in bites. I e-mailed the manufacturer about shelf life and he replied... A shelf life of five years "unless it has separated".... yep you guessed it, it had separated! lol

long list.
If it wasn't for my wife, mine would be

Bathing suit
dive bag
2 pairs of shorts
2 t-shirts
2 pairs of underwear
cap
visa card
money.
sandals
sunglasses

A big appetite and a big thirst.

Been there, done that, the washing machine ate the T-shirt
N
N
On the medicine front, the boyfriend went through lots of Pepcid (but he's prone to that sort of thing). I brought ginger capsules, supposedly good for seasickness (but I used them to calm the post-rum punch trauma).

Do not bring anything resembling a hairdryer or hairspray. With that humidity and that wind, it just won't help. If you're a walker, bring a flashlight for the beach -those crabs don't like to get stepped on!. Speaking of which, I did find myself going barefoot quite a bit, but bring shoes/socks if you're going inland (especially ruins). Clothes should all be comfortable in very hot (90+) very humid (100%, feels like more!) weather. ENJOY!

O
O
Last year I had read to take garlic atleast two weeks before you leave to keep the skeeters away and I took it for about a month and only got two bug bites, but thye swelled really bad when I got bite and then whinin the hour they were gone with no itching. The asticle said that you may not be able to smell the odor that bad, but when they get close to your skin it detoours them away. So needless to say I am still taking Garlic and have not gotten bitten, unless they just do not like me.

V
V
I've heard that Bounce dryer sheets tend to help keep the mosquitoes away, if you hang them around on your balcony or tie them on a belt loop ... anyone ever tried that?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 272 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.