Info received today on conditions at Paradise Villas which I have forwarded to every owner I have an email address for:
I just got off the phone with Nellie. She gave me the following info, which some of you may already have:
1. The Paradise Villas are among the buildings with the least amount of damage anywhere.
2. No roofs or chunks of roofs were lost and the roof tiles are all or nearly all intact.
3. The damage to the ceilings in some of the units (which include #14 and #16 and I don't know how many others) was caused by the water coming in through the vents and under the roof, not from tiles coming off. Sheet rock has been ordered to replace it and it will be done and painted as soon as the materials arrive, over the next few weeks.
4. Some of us (including me) will have to have some doors replaced. I know that my downstairs back glass patio door has to be replaced, not sure if others will also.
5. There does not appear to be interior damage other than those back bedrooms and bathrooms. Downstairs units are OK. I specifically asked if I had any broken windows and she said no; I do not believe anyone else did either.
6. Don't know if there was any damage to furnishings from the ceiling collapse, but if so, it was not major. The only thing that might have to be replaced in our unit is the mattress in the back bedroom, not sure yet.
7. The city water (expensive) is turned on. The cisterns are full but the water is not safe to drink. They will be putting chemicals in it and using it for toilets and showers for now, not for drinking. (I guess the sinks are now hooked up to the city water from the desalinization plants). Over time, with disinfection and more rain, it will be OK.
8. The pool will have to be drain and refilled, and since there is a crack or two to fix, there may be no swimming pool for a few days. It's full of debris. She is not sure about the time line for this, as first priority is the condos.
9. The dock is OK but the platform at the end is gone. It will be replaced, but no timeline for that yet. As soon as possible.
10. Assessments will be made to all owners for the damages to the common areas (roofs, pool, platform on dock, gardens, etc. etc.) Unsure of the amounts at this time. The trustees will have to determine that.
11. This is sad news: All of the beautiful flowers and bushes and most trees are gone and will have to be replanted. Will have to recultivate the gardens from scratch and start over and plant new coconut trees.
12. She has not seen any of the Paradise Villas cats (in case anybody but me cares...). However, everybody's favorite white cat belonged to Trish and moved with her when she did, so I hope she's OK....she would sleep on our beds with us when we visited and purr so I hope she is safe and sound. We will really miss her (we have six cats and go through purr withdrawal when we travel...)
We are very lucky to have escaped with minor damage from a category 4 hurricane.