FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, Reef TV, KREM, and CTV 3. Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, Belize Now, Talk Ah Di Town, and other specials.

The San Pedro Sun

Boat Accident!
A boat with approximately five passengers crashed into the dock of the San Pedro International Water Taxi Terminal after 6PM on Sunday, May 17th. All passengers were assisted and taken to the Dr. Otto Rodriguez San Pedro Polyclinic II. Unofficial reports are that one person was severely injured. We will have an update when an official report is made available.

Doctor Love: Doing the right thing
Dear Doctor Love, My daughter and her boyfriend have come to my husband and me to ask if he can move into our house until he graduates school next year. I feel bad for this boy. His home life is filled with abuse and rage from an alcoholic father and his older brothers are known as drug dealers. This young man is trying to escape an awful environment and I’d like to give him the chance of a better future but I worry it will blow up in our faces. What if we allow him to come here and they break up? How do we handle the drama that will come with that? Do we throw him out?

2020 Turtle Nesting Season Begins
The beaches of northern Ambergris Caye are once again visited by sea turtles as the 2020 nesting season has officially started. Personnel from the Hol Chan Marine Reserve (HCMR) are monitoring the northern beaches where five nests have been found so far. As such, in order for a successful turtle nesting season, they ask the general public who visit northern Ambergris Caye to be extra cautious and to not interfere with any potential nests when transiting along the coast.

Ambergris Today

Serious Injury in Boat Accident!
It is being reported that one person has sustained serious injuries that he received during a boat accident at occurred just before sunset today, May 17, 2020 in the lagoon side of Ambergirs Caye. Reports are that a boat carrying five passengers crashed into the San Pedro International Water Taxi Terminal. Rickilee Response and Rescue services assisted other locals in the recovery and transportation of the those involved in the accident to the Dr. Otto Rodriguez Polyclinic II. It appears that two boars were racing. Witnesses saw the boat pass under speed and another boat was ahead of them under speed as well.

Various Belizean Sources

mzz

Caye Caulker Soup Kitchen day Location
Monday, May 18th Meal pick ups Location: Bondi Bar and Bistro Times: Village: 11:00am - 11:45 am. Bahia: 11:45am - 12:30 pm. Keep those containers and bags coming. thanks!

COVID-19 update:
This is the regional update as numbers continue to rise in countries all around. Costa Rica and Nicaragua are the two countries who don’t seem to have significant increases in their numbers as all aim to contain their epidemic curve. We all remain vigilant under new norms.

Wildtracks update: It takes a team!
After several days of frustrating near misses, the Sarteneja Alliance for Conservation and Development (SACD) led a successful rescue of a young manatee entangled in fishing net. The net was wrapped over its nose, and wound around its flipper, cutting in and causing significant damage. The male manatee, 1.95m in length was successfully captured and the net removed. He is now at Wildtracks for wound treatment and observation, but we are hoping that, with care, the flipper will be saved and he will soon be able to return to the wild.

Bird Week kicks off today
Roni Martinez will be kicking off Bird Week tomorrow virtually. Birding Nation, here's one to add to your list for this week. Because every great week has birds in it! No sign up/registration required, just watch live on Facebook Starts at 6:00pm. https://bit.ly/CayoCal

Belize Emergency Relief
The Belize Emergency Relief feeding program has helped more than 4000 people at this point, and they are now providing more than just the basics. Thanks to everyone involved in this incredible effort.

Episode 1 - The TBT Hour
Allan Di Real McCoy will be mixing some oldies on Tuesday night. May 19, 2020 at 8 PM – 9 PM

Yuum Cimil
Yuum Cimil is the representation of death which is part of the cycle of human life . Death is not the end but the transformation of the body and the Pixan (Soul). Us Yucatec Maya(Máasewal) of Belize put altars especially for U Janal Pixano'ob (Finados) to honor our family and friends who are on the spiritual world . Note: Yuum Cimil is also known as Ah Puch , Ah Cizin, Hun Ahau or Kimi . Yuum Cimil means Señor muerte (Lord of death).

Culture Day - Feb 1, 2019 Students
Thank you to teachers everywhere today and every day for fostering curiosity, creativity, culture, kindness, and caring (as well as all the curriculum). Together we can make the world a better place. A few images from last year's culture day at Isla Bonita Elementary School.

Channel 5

A motorcycle caught on fire on the Philip Goldson Highway
Fire officials were called to the scene to extinguish the fire.

Attorney Arthur Saldivar arrested
Attorney Arthur Saldivar was arrested by Belmopan police earlier today. We are told that Saldivar visited the Belmopan Police Station after word was received that police were looking for him for being part of a group that gathered in Cotton Tree Village. We are also told that he allegedly did not have a face mask when he was in the station.

Nigel Petillo Arrested

The Reporter

Attorney Arthur Saldivar to be charged for not wearing mask
The Reporter has confirmed that attorney Arthur Saldivar has been detained by Belmopan Police. Sources say that he was being sought for his presence at a gathering in Cotton Tree this morning in the company of Nigel Petillo. There is word that he will also be charged because when he showed up at the Belmopan Police Station he was not wearing a mask.

"Abandoned" land claimed
Hundreds of Belizeans have gathered at what is said to be a 2600acre (abandoned) parcel of land in Cotton Tree outside of Belmopan. Similar to what was done in Harmonyville several years ago, these persons are being encouraged by private citizen Nigel Petillo to claim parcels of land which he says has been abandoned for decades by a foreigner. The Ministry of Natural Resources has warned about the illegality of squatting on land but that has not deterred the hundreds, machetes and hoes in hand, who are gathered to claim land.

LOVE FM

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

Rihanna puts the Caribbean on the map again! Becomes Britain’s wealthiest female musician
With one successful venture after another, Barbados-born music icon Rihanna has repeatedly put the Caribbean […]

“$2.2 million a month in allowances is too much,” says PSU
The Government of Belize (GOB) spends a total of $2.2 million a month on allowances […]

Motorcycle goes up in flames on highway
A motorcycle went up in flames this evening on the Philip Goldson Highway in the […]

Several injured in mile 8 traffic accident, no fatalities
Several people received minor injuries in an accident at mile 8 on the George Price […]

Firearm search leads to drug bust
Police have arrested and charged two people for drug offenses following a search initially geared […]

Police find gun and drugs in separate locations
The Belize Police Department’s operations led to the recovery of a gun and drugs in […]

Harmonyville land activist, Nigel Petillo, detained by Police
Photo Courtesy: PGTV Belmopan-based land activist Nigel Petillo has been detained by police, who picked him […]

Belizeans abroad being allowed to come home
Be it ever so humble, there’s no place like home. And for Belizeans locked out of […]

Police disperse crowded mass gathering at Cotton Tree property
Having been unable to convince Nigel Petillo not to hold it, law enforcement stood toe-to-toe with […]

PSU emphasizes the importance of auditing for better government efficiency
The Public Service Union (PSU) takes the view that the Government of Belize (GOB) must do […]

Mexicans escape quarantine center
Аuthоrіtіеѕ аrе іnvеѕtіgаtіng thе whеrеаbоutѕ оf 3 Мехісаn nаtіоnаlѕ whо rероrtеdlу еѕсареd frоm а quаrаntіnе сеntеr іn Веlіzе. Тhе Мехісаnѕ wеrе аwаіtіng trіаl fоr іllеgаllу еntеr Веlіzе. […]

“Belize should raise retirement age,” says PSU
Тhе Рublіс Ѕеrvісе Unіоn (РЅU), іn а ѕеrіеѕ оf rесоmmеndаtіоnѕ mаdе tо thе Gоvеrnmеnt оf Веlіzе (GОВ) оn соѕt-ѕаvіng mеаѕurеѕ thаt соuld іmрrоvе thе соuntrу’ѕ есоnоmіс ѕtаndіng […]

Police called to land advocacy meeting in Cotton Tree
Моmеntѕ аgо, роlісе аrrіvеd аt thе lаnd аdvосасу mееtіng іn Соttоn Тrее Vіllаgе bеіng hеld bу асtіvіѕt Nіgеl Реtіllо […] А сrоwеd, wеаrіng mаѕkѕ gаthеrеd аt thе соmmunіtу аt Міlе 44 оn thе Gеоrgе Рrісе Ніghwау, іn аn аttеmрt tо rеgіѕtеr thеіr dеѕіrе tо оwn а ріесе оf lаnd […]

United Garifuna Association supports land advocacy for Belizeans
Тhе Unіtеd Gаrіfunа Аѕѕосіаtіоn (UGА), аn еntіtу соmрrіѕеd оf thе nаtіоnаl Gаrіfunа аѕѕосіаtіоnѕ wіthіn thе Аmеrісаѕ аnd thе Саrіbbеаn, іѕ рublісlу ѕuрроrtіng thе lаnd аdvосасу еffоrtѕ bеіng hеld іn Соttоn Тrее Vіllаgе […]

Government encourages local tourism; targets July for international tourism
Іn аn еffоrt tо bоth rесоvеr nееdеd rеvеnuе frоm thе lаrgеѕt ѕесtоr оf thе есоnоmу аnd оffеr ѕоmе rеlіеf tо Веlіzеаnѕ, еѕресіаllу іn rurаl аrеаѕ, fаtіguеd bу lосkdоwn […]

Blogs

Corozal, Belize
Corozal is continuing to gain popularity among expats and native Belizeans. The reasons are clear: Real estate prices in Corozal are much less than what you will find in other areas of Belize. Corozal has another advantage—less rain than in most areas to the south. This of course means the same tropical climate with less of the tropical rain. In addition, Corozal is less than a half-hour from the Mexican city of Chetumal, where shopping and nightlife abound. Even closer is the Belizean duty-free zone, where Mexicans and expats can buy bargain-priced goods.

Update from Placencia, Belize - Restrictions loosening in-country, possible July airport opening?
Thank you again to Randy for the update on the experience of this crisis in Placencia. Although Belize is a small country, the impacts have been SO different in each area.....I (Laura) will be keeping you updated about Ambergris Caye, and Randy is holding down the fort in Placencia. (HERE yesterday - with some info about why I moved here!..... and HERE is one from about a week ago, this one explains the VERY different personalities of the popular areas throughout the country - hope this helps you in your search for your next perfect Belize itinerary!

#1 Authentic Belizean Fry Jack Recipe!
Make Belizean Fry Jack At Home With This Authentic Recipe belize fry jacks breakfast recipes chaa creek featured web Fry jacks are deep fried dough pieces that can be shaped in squares, circles or triangles. They say “breakfast is the most important meal of the day” and Belizeans take this very serious. One of the more popular and mouth-watering breakfast meals in Belize includes refried beans, eggs, cheese, bacon or ham and fresh fruits all perfectly paired with fry jacks.

Our Underground Love Affair With Belize Caves
The Great Blue Hole is the only cave we actually dove, but we know some great ones you can swim or float into, or just generally get wet visiting. Or, if you prefer, you can stay dry. Here, with links to more detailed descriptions, is a partial list of some of our favourites:

International Sourcesizz

Thinking About Future Travel? These Resorts Will Allow For Social Distancing
It’s safe to say that the coronavirus pandemic has changed the face of travel as we know it. Once “outside opens back up” everything from how we book to the destinations we select will have an impact on travelers worldwide. Here are a few dreamy destinations and vacation rentals to inspire future travel. Located three miles off the coast of Belize, Cayo Espanto is a private island resort that creates a sense of secluded paradise for every visitor. Each of the property’s seven villas includes a private dock, pool, a butler and personalized meal and concierge services.

Videos

• Super Furia Band was live, 24min.

• Nigel Petillo Arrested, 4min.

• The road to/from Secret Beach, North Ambergris, Belize, 1.5min. Showing the Secret Beach road upgrade done by the San Pedro Town Council.

• IT WAS THE BEST SNORKELING EXPERIENCE OF MY LIFE | I swam with SHARKS | Caye Caulker, 13min. In Caye Caulker (Belize) I had the best snorkeling experience of my life, where in a whole day of diving thanks to the agency @ nautitime.tours that presented me with the tour, I was able to be in contact with moray eels, puffer fish, butterfly fish, octopuses, OX FISH, lobsters, turtles, sea horses, rays, SHARKS among others. It was simply incredible, because of all the snorkelings I have ever taken on my travels around the world, I had never dived with such a wide variety of marine animals in their natural habitat. It was surreal. Check it out!

• Turneffe Belize, freediving underwater caves, 2min. The moose man cave is one of the largest within the immediate area. It’s also my favorite. If you can’t hold your breath till the end of the video, don’t try it in real life.

• Cayo Espanto Private Island Resort in Belize, 3min. A video tour of Cayo Espanto, a private island resort situated in the clear, warm, inviting sparkling tropical waters west of San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize.

• Tour of Secret Beach, 1min. Drone footage of the popular Secret Beach on San Pedro Ambergris Caye, Belize.

• On our way to Belize Fitness (San Pedro Belize), 1min. On this day Tami and I are on our way to Belize Fitness.

• THE AMAZING ORIN "COCO" ORIO! MAKING BELIZEAN FOOTBALL GREAT AGAIN (PART TWO)!, 32min. It can be said that Belizean football superstar and one of the best goalkeepers Belize had ever seen during the golden days of the 1970s and 80s Belizean football greatness countrywide is the legendary Orin "Coco" Orio from the "Culture Capital" of Belize Dangriga in the southern Stann Creek District of Belize.