Happy Sovereign's Day

FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, Reef TV, KREM, and CTV 3. Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, Belize Now, Talk Ah Di Town, and other specials.

The San Pedro Sun

Wolfe’s Woofers: Fallen
Dennis, it’s good to see you here,” the mayor said. “I wouldn’t miss it,” I told him. “I knew Father Paul for more than twenty years.” The mayor’s town in Western Belize was holding a memorial service for their old priest who had died three months ago. He had faithfully served his town until his death three months earlier. “I met him about twenty years ago,” I said. “A very moral and upright man.” “He certainly was,” the mayor said “Years ago, when he first came here,

“No water taxi terminal in front of former Ruby’s Hotel” say island leaders
Island leaders have gone on the record saying that no massive water taxi terminal will be built in front of the former Ruby’s Hotel - by SPBE or any water taxi company. Both the Area Representative for Belize Rural South (Ambergris Caye and Caye Caulker) Honourable Manuel Heredia Jr., and the Mayor of San Pedro Town, Daniel Guerrero, have gone on record indicating that no massive water taxi terminal will be built in front of the former Ruby’s Hotel. Both island leaders clarified the allegations that the San Pedro Belize Express (SPBE) Water Taxi had been given the green light to build a large boat terminal in the said area. They said that the only place the water taxi companies could relocate to is to the facilities at the Sunset Boardwalk on the lagoon side.

Various Belizean Sources

mzz

Caye Caulker Soup Kitchen day Location
Monday, May 25th, Meal Pick ups Location: Belize Diving Services Time : Village: 11:00am - 11:45am. Bahia: 11:45am - 12:30pm.

COVID-19 update
These are the numbers in the Mesoamerican region, Guatemala may be going into a complete lockdown for the next 15 days given their increasing numbers.

COVID-19 UPDATE
We are now at 9 weeks since we first confirmed a case of SARS-CoV2 and approaching 6 weeks since our last documented cases. Given the numbers around us, we do have to acknowledge that we have a long way to go. Let us not forget that within a time frame of 3 weeks we did go from 0 to 18 cases and within a 96 hr time frame we had gone from 9 to 18 cases.

Happy Sovereign's Day
Happy Sovereign's Day BELIZE from Mayor Daniel Guerrero and the San Pedro Town Council. May you all have a blessed day! We take this opportunity that inform the general public that our offices will be closed on Monday, May 25th, 2020, in lieu of Sovereign's Day. We shall resume to our temporary working hours on Tuesday, May 26th, from 8:00 a.m. to 12 noon.

BELIZE'S WWII BRITISH WEST INDIAN WORKERS!
Who knows, one of these men here in this photo of Belizean men off to work in Scotland during WWII may have been a lost and never found uncle, Hugh Smith, from the southern district of Stann Creek that left the former British Honduras now Belize by ship to work as a forestry worker in the 1940s. My grandfather Joseph "Jack" Smith may have been one of my best history teachers to date because his living with with my mother who was his caregiver until his death in Belize City, Belize, had transferred a body of knowledge to me that despite all of my formal and advanced education that he had urged me to seek, cannot rival his amazing body of work, knowledge and wisdom. One of his son's Hugh that he spoke about from the living room of our home so painfully and in tears, while he and my mother conversed about Hugh's departure from Belize as a young man in his prime, never to be heard from and seen again.

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

Kent Gabourel, acclaimed football coach, no longer with the Football Federation of Belize
Acclaimed football player and football coach, Kent Gabourel, is no longer working at the Football […]

Football Federation threatens lawsuit over social media report, clarifies staff status
Football Federation of Belize (FFB) president Sergio Chuc told Breaking Belize News this evening in […]

Police Association elections coming up; ComPol says he is neutral
Former President of the Police Association, Corporal Eldon Arzu, is offering himself for the top […]

Nigel Petillo forms LANDS movement; website promoting lands advocacy to be launched this week
This evening Nigel Petillo announced on social media the formation of a new organization focusing […]

Is cannabis the answer for COVID-19? Canadian scientists think so
A team of Canadian scientists believe that certain strains of cannabis could help to treat […]

Changing GST “zero-rating” on imported goods could help boost Belize’s economy
As the COVID-19 pandemic ravages Belize’s economy, the Government of Belize (GOB) reports that revenue […]

Contrabandistas to be put under manners by new joint patrol
In midweek, the village of San Victor, Corozal District, was again the epicenter of a confrontation […]

FECTAB questions benefits of Waterloo port; developer responds
The Federation of Cruise Tourism Associations of Belize (FECTAB) has publicly condemned the planned expansion […]

From half a million to a target of 15 million pounds, is pineapple set to become the “Queen of the South”
By Hugh O’Brien: Pineapple is a new crop that is being ‘groomed’ to become an important second crop […]

Belize at 9 weeks since first reported case of COVID-19
An update from the Ministry of Health issued today says that Belize is now at […]

First ever Africa day celebration in Belize to take place – all activities to be streamed live
For the first time ever, Belize will be celebrating Africa day. The event will take […]

“Hilltop negotiations should be finished before June,” says PSU
After over a year of negotiations and court battles, the Public Service Union (PSU) says […]

Blogs

Actun Tunichil Muknal – A Brief History
Actun Tunichil Muknal is one of the most artifact-rich caves ever found in Belize. Also known as the Cave of the Stone Sepulcher, it was a sacred space to the ancient Maya, where they worshipped their gods and performed human sacrifices to appease them. Archeologists have found items dating back to 250 AD. This is when the Maya first started to explore the cave. However, it was not until about 700 AD that they began to perform religious ceremonies. To find appropriate sites, they went deeper into the 3-mile long cavern system.

Royal Belize named in Fodor’s Top 12 Private Islands
If you’ve been relishing the same view outside your window for the past few weeks, no one blames you for imagining yourself on a Belize private island instead. Think about it: You’re still following the rules of self-isolation. Only this time, you’d be surrounded by the Caribbean Sea’s gentle waters and soft white sands. Your days would be spent in hammocks, and the next humans are at least an island over. Yes, much further than six feet away. That’s why Fodor’s Travel is listing Royal Belize as one of the top 12 private islands to self-isolate.

Commonwealth day in Corozal Sunday, May 24TH, 2020
Seeking relief from humid weather, hundreds of people crowded the beaches in Corozal Bay this past weekend amid the coronavirus pandemic, despite a statewide stay-at-home order implemented by the government, to enjoy the beaches in Corozal Bay. Sunday's, temperatures were very high humidity in the region, but that didn't deter people from trekking to the beach to soak in the sun. On Sunday, May 24TH, 2020, It was observed as a Holiday across Belize called "CommonWealth", which will be observed on Monday, May 25TH, 2020 across Belize. No Public and Banks Business will be open. This was the reason why people came out to enjoy the beaches from across Corozal. Since curfew is still in effect, Many did appear to follow social distancing guidelines while engaging in outdoor activities.

A Perspective from Belize: The Wildly Unpredicted Success, in the first 60 Days of the COVID Crisis
I have spent the last 60 days experiencing this worldwide crisis in the tiny Central American/Caribbean country of Belize, where I moved six years ago. Before that, I was living in the US, working in the field of psychology, and I moved here to pursue my dream of living in the tropics, thus changing the course of my life to the field of hospitality. I currently own two small boutique hotels in Belize. Like so many, I have been profoundly impacted from watching the stages of this crisis from an individual level, to the cultural shifts of the world. The experience of living through this crisis, as a person in an industry that is one of the hardest hit in the world - international hospitality, has also been intense. I sense a readiness at this point to have a look at this first phase - and to offer some previously unknown, and recently uncovered, cultural and demographic reasons that have made me feel very lucky to have experienced the first 60 days in this country.

For those struggling right now: How one bar owner survived past crises in Belize - the mindset, grit, and mentality that got them through....
I wanted to share a guest blog from Jodie of Jodie and Scott from the Palapa Bar. Of all the expat business owners I know, these two have shown the most remarkable grit and courage, facing multiple devastating incidents over their years here - each one seeming to be the very worst you could face - but coming back again and again. The grit these two are showing now, and have shown over the years, made me want to share Jodie's story, because so many right now are scared, uncertain, and we don't yet have the luxury of looking back yet on this current crisis....because it is still currently happening. Hearing about the fact that others were in the lowest of low points in the past - yet made it - is the kind of story that needs to be told right now, and I hope it helps everyone who reads it as much as it did us!!!

12 THINGS TO INCLUDE ON A BELIZE VACATION
A Belize vacation should be on every traveler's bucket list. With its pristine sands, gorgeous waters, and a variety of activities and locations to enjoy, a Belize getaway offers something for everyone. We may be in difficult times right now, but eventually, we will all be ready to start seeing the world again. While you're thinking about where you want to go, let me tell you about our trip to Belize, and why it made such a great family vacation for us.

Videos

• Effects of Covid-19 Crisis by My Mayan Culture-Belize, min.

• Caye Caulker Soup Kitchen Raffle winner announcement, 1.5min.

• St. Ignatius High School Graduation, 1hr11min. Join the Graduating Class of 2020 for a Virtual Graduation Mass!

• What If' video from SAVE the MACAL RIVER in Belize, 4min. This video is not professional, rather its intentional. It's done in many parts, but comes from the heart.

• Saxophone rendition of "Shout To The Lord", 3.5min. An inspirational start tonight, as Abner Martinez from Eden SDA High School gives us a saxophone rendition of "Shout To The Lord". He is accompanied by his music teacher Mr. Yoelvis Medero Lunar, who recorded the footage before quarantine.

• Angel Falls — Adventure Park on the Hummingbird Highway in Belize, 2min. At the centre point of Belize exists a majestic adventure park created with the adrenaline and nature lover in mind. Angel Falls Adventure park is located at the mid point of the Hummingbird Highway at one of the highest points in Belize capturing clouds rolling in from the sea which deliver large amounts of rainfall to help create the tallest, thickest and most vibrant jungle in the region. Because of this sub tropical climate zone the rainforest is home to the highest density of exotic plants and animals in the region making this a wildlife paradise with hundreds of species of birds and animals calling this home. Birds such as Toucans, Parrots, Macaws, Parakeets and stunning Peacocks are full time residents or snowbirds and can be spotted soon after arrival. Mother nature has also blessed this area with countless waterfalls and rivers through caves and canyons giving it a Jurassic park feel. All this wonder has been captured in just over 200 acres.

• REFLECTIONS on and Epic Fly Fishing Trip To Belize, 4min. REFLECTIONS / BELIZE is a look back on an amazing trip to Cayo Frances Farm and Fly in Belize also known as the Bote House.

• Mundo Maya Caracol Belize, 7.5min. Caracol fue una vez el hogar de 150,000 personas, el centro maya más grande de Belice y tiene un lugar predominante en la historia de los mayas.El núcleo central de Caracol consiste en tres grupos de plazas que rodean una acrópolis central y dos canchas de juego, junto con varias estructuras más pequeñas. El templo más grande en Caracol es «Caana» o «Sky Place» (Lugar en el Cielo). Esta enorme pirámide se eleva más de 43 metros sobre el suelo de la jungla y es la estructura hecha por el hombre más alta de Belice. Caana posee cuatro palacios y tres templos. Las habitaciones del palacio originalmente estaban cubiertas con estuco blanco y decoradas con pintura roja. También se han encontrado más de 100 tumbas en el sitio, así como una rica variedad de inscripciones jeroglíficas.

• BlackBird Caye Resort Belize, 2.5min. Some divers are fascinated by the Great Blue Hole. Others are drawn to Turneffe Atoll’s shallow reefs. At our Belize dive resort, you aren’t far from either — or from 70 other scenic spots. From our dock, 20 of those are less than 35 minutes away by boat. Start outlining your dive plan; you’ve got a lot to see.

• Diving at Blackbird Caye Resort, Turneffe Atoll, Belize, 2min. Diving the Turneffe Atoll with Blackbird Caye Resort in Belize.

• SCOUTS OF BELIZE- Thanks Front line workers, 1.5min. Back in April, members from the Scout Association of Belize decided to send a thank you message to all the front line workers.

• Mukbang: Best Street Food In Belize | Quarantine Vacation, 33min. Miriam taught me how to make the best street food that you can find in Belize. I already knew how to make panandes which is a "Spanish" food made from corn masa and filled with hashed tuna fish, then deep fried. It's topped with an onion and cabbage sauce that soaked in distilled white vinegar and water. The Salbutes which is made from corn masa the is fried flat and then topped with chicken picked from the bone and a cabbage ceviche made with only 4 ingredients (cabbage, tomato, cilantro and fat free Italian dressing). This dish has a light dusting of parmesan cheese. The last dish is Panucho, which is made from sandwiching chicken picked from the bone between two pieces of masa dough, then deep fried. It is topped with the cul from our Belizean tamales and a blend of extra sharp cheddar cheese

• Scuba diving in Belize...just what the doctor ordered!, 2min. Just a bit of fun on the 2nd biggest barrier reef in the WORLD!

• Quarantine Corozal ,Belize,5min. Driving around town...

• CAYE CAULKER Belize, 3.5min. Un recorrido por las coloridas calles de Caye Caulker (Belice) y sus playas cristalinas. Descubre este paraíso terrenal situado en el Mar Caribe. Caye Caulker te ofrece un mundo de contrastes, comenzando el día en una de sus innumerables playas coralinas para terminar la jornada degustando un cocktail al atardecer.