FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, Reef TV, KREM, and CTV 3. Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, Belize Now, Talk Ah Di Town, and other specials.

The San Pedro Sun

Woofer – Walking the Dogs
“There’s Seńora Zima walking her dogs,” Mario said. Mario and I were having our morning coffee on the deck of the Holiday Hotel when the old lady walked by with her two big German Shepherd dogs. “When I came out here on the deck at seven o’clock she was walking down the beach so she’s on her way home,” I said.

Doctor Love: Emotional Support or Peace
Dear Doctor Love, I have seen the passing of three loved ones in the last four years, and for a while, it took a toll on my emotional well-being. The first was my husband who left me four years ago, then my mother, and the last was my younger sister who died a year ago. I have finally made it to a place of peace and contentment. I enjoy being alone and rediscovering the person I was before they died.

Ambergris Today

Opening Of 2020 Atlantic Basin Hurricane Season
Today, Monday, June 1, marks the beginning of the 2020 hurricane season for the Atlantic Basin. The season runs from June 1 to November 30 each year. However the formation of tropical cyclones is possible at any time of the year, as shown by the formation of tropical storm Arthur on May 16 and tropical storm Bertha on May 27. The formation of these systems marks the sixth consecutive year a storm has developed before the official start of the season.

Various Belizean Sources

mzz

Caye Caulker Soup Kitchen day Location
Monday (omg it's finally), June 1st, meal pick up: Location: Belize Diving Services. Times: Village: 11:00am - 11:45am. Bahia: 11:45am - 12:30pm.

Corozal Methodist School Class of 2020
Congratulations graduates

The Protected Areas Conservation Trust has some easy to read infographics that outline some of the wonderful things they do
In the 2019-2020 Fiscal Year (FY), we commenced the implementation of a 3-year Conservation Investment Strategy that will see over $10 Million invested by PACT into the Belize National Protected Areas System (BNPAS). In its first year (April 2019-March 2020), #PACT invested $2.3 Million, resulting in the following Conservation Returns on Investments.

Mayero Santiago Garcia Sr
Mr. Santiago Garcia Sr was born on May 23rd, 1933 to Mr. Secundino Garcia and his wife Mrs. Encarnacion Garcia Nee Blanco in the village of Yo Creek. Mr. Santiago Garcia Sr was very proud that his parents are direct descendants of the founding fathers of Yo Creek Village. His great great grandfather Mr. Manuel Garcia along with Mr. Felipe Blanco and Mr. Juan Cal were refuges of the Caste War in Yucatan. They fled the slaughter of the Maya looking for safety across the Rio Hondo. After travelling many days; they reached a tropical forest containing a dozen Maya hills, the terrain was flat rolling fertile land drained by a rushing creek. It was by the side of the creek that the founding fathers settled in 1852...

To'one Masehualoon NGO working on the first Yucatec Maya Museum in Corozal
A week and a half of very hard labor, love and caring for each others well being and safety, as we ventured to give the Yucatec Maya Museum in Cristo Rey village, Corozal District, Belize a much needed remodeling and made ready for its upcoming inauguration. We are filled with gratitude to have met this huge milestone and to make this dream come to fruition...

Channel 7

Truck plunges into the Rio Hondo
Unconfirmed initial reports are that one teenage boy is dead and two others are missing after a truck plunged into the Rio Hondo off the San Antonio Bridge. One person is dead after a vehicle went into the Rio Hondo river San Antonio bridge, Orange Walk this evening.

The Reporter

Body found in shallow grave
While details are still sketchy, the Reporter has confirmed that a body has been found in a shallow grave near Mile 4 on the George Price Highway. We are told there has been no identification as yet because the area is flooded due to the heavy rains.

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

Met Service issues “Strong Thunderstorm Alert”
As of 9 pm tonight, the National Meteorological Service of Belize issued a strong thunderstorm […]

Vehicle plunges into Rio Hondo
Reports to BBN is that earlier tonight, a vehicle plunged over a bridge between San […]

Amanda (2020) shades of Alma and Arthur (2008)
By Detroy Cuthkelvin: Having already killed 10 persons in El Salvador, Tropical Storm Amanda, the first named storm in the East Pacific for 2020 (now downgraded to a remnant low, Invest 93 […]

Prime Minister discusses new normal in Public Service: positions unfilled, contracts expired
The staggering public sector wage bill – $688 million for approximately 16 thousand public servants and […]

Hemp, hemp, hooray! P.M. leads cheers for hemp and other new industries
With traditional industries hurting such as sugar, citrus and banana, agricultural producers are looking to other […]

P.M. skeptical about school year re-opening; Minister still hopeful
It is final when it comes from the Ministry of Education, but Prime Minister Dean Barrow […]

New statistics show that the number of confirmed COVID-19 cases globally now exceeds 6.1 million.
According to Worldometer, the latest figure on COVID-19 cases stands at 6,194,887, with over 371,000 […]

Belmopan mother requests help due to flooding
A woman from Belen Street in the Maya Mopan area of Belmopan is asking for […]

Blogs

Historical & Archaeological Tours To Do in Belize
The country of Belize evolved from a rich history; from North to South you’ll find interesting backstories behind the people, sites, and monuments in each district. If the purpose of your trip is to learn and see the deep roots from which Belize has sprung, then this itinerary is just for you. Here I would also like to appeal to Belizeans to consider taking a family vacation within our own fascinating country. So many of us have not had the opportunity to visit our own natural wonders. Here are some top tours for historical and archaeological sites in Belize.

International Sourcesizz

US Court Hands Down Preliminary Injunction Against Pirate IPTV Provider
A Florida district court judge has handed down a highly-restrictive preliminary injunction against a 'pirate' IPTV provider trading under various names including CBC and X-View. The case was originally filed under seal by TV broadcaster DISH Networks, whose representative tracked down the alleged operator in Belize.

Everything Essential To Eat In Belize That Can Be Made At Home
Fortunately, enjoying what Belize has to offer can be done while helping the developing country cope with this sudden economic hardship. Island resident Kimberly Wylie jumped into action by releasing the Ambergris Caye COVID Relief Cookbook, which delivers 100% of the profits earned from selling the book to the San Pedro Hot Lunch Program, started by Maresha Reid of Pirate’s Treasure Restaurant and Pirate’s Not-So-Secret Beach Bar. Through this program, Reid is able to feed almost 400 island residents 3 times a week. “People who had very little to begin with now had nothing,” Wylie explains. “Regretfully, the COVID relief funds the government had in its coffers were only enough to provide minimally for a fraction of the population. As this shutdown continues to drag on into the months, more and more people need help.”

Welcome to June and the Official Start of Hurricane Season
HELLO JUNE: Today is the first day of meteorological summer for Alabama and will again feature plenty of sunshine and warm temps. Highs today should return to the upper 80s and lower 90s, we could see a few isolated showers this afternoon, but most locations will remain dry. The average high for Montgomery for June 1st is 88…we should highs a degree or two above that this afternoon. HURRICANE SEASON BEGINS: Today is the official start of the 2020 Atlantic Hurricane season which will run until November 30th. However, the season got started a little early as we have had two named system already (Arthur & Bertha). We are likely to see Cristobal late this week in the Gulf of Mexico.

What we can do to preserve our Garifuna language
By Wellington C Ramos. We the Garifuna people are among the 400 million people on this earth who speak one of the 6,000 indigenous languages that exist. Most of us are struggling to preserve our languages that we have been speaking for centuries before the Europeans came to our lands and established their colonial rule. They then passed decrees and laws forbidding us from speaking our native language and practicing our culture.

With No One Around, Wildlife Abounds
With people sheltering in place around the world, animals have been enjoying the freedom that our isolation has granted. Each day, we delight in hearing more and more positive reports of how the world is beginning to heal as humans are confined to their homes. From China to the USA and across the globe, NASA now reports cleaner skies with drastic improvements in air quality. Rivers around the world are proving to be more pure, and flora and fauna are flourishing in the lack of human interference. Animals everywhere are enjoying the absence of human presence as they make an uninterrupted connection with their surroundings. Here at our resort, there is no exception! We have welcomed the surprise of many visits from unexpected, untamed guests. It’s our pleasure to share with you of a few of our most precious and heartwarming of those recent encounters:

Videos

• Riley Green - In Love By Now, 3.5min. Country song filmed in Belize!!! Gives me chills... look at end result... I gave you a lot of stress... thank you for being supportive... Belize is in full display!

• Nice video highlighting the cultures of Belize, .5min. Beyond our amazing sceneries lies our amazing people, waiting to welcome you with open arms. Be captivated by the togetherness that makes our cultures worth experiencing.

• SYMPOSIUM — yesterday’s tomorrow, 45min. The symposium welcomed artist Katie Numi (Belize City, Belize) elaborating about discrimination in art schools, feminist designer Lisa Baumgarten (Berlin, Germany) pointing out how discrimination follows design, design follows discrimination, and typographer Charlotte Rohde (Amsterdam, Netherlands) speaking about feminist discourse in typography.

• Live Cooking Show | Making Belizean Johnny Cakes, 36min. Johnny Cakes or Journey Cakes are a biscuit type bread that is make with basic ingredients like flour, baking powder, sugar, butter and coconut milk. As a Belizean growing up the Johnny Cakes didn't include sugar and was made with lard or shortening, but I didn't like the taste so I made a few changes. I replaced the shortening or lard to butter, and I added some sugar. You can can make the biscuit with any milk you have on hand, but the addition of coconut milk gives a rich flavor.

• 2007 Belize, 60min.

• The Slate colored seedeater seen at The Elijio Panti National Park,Belize May 2020, 1min.

• Makum - Belizean Yucatec Maya Delicacy, 7.5min. Making Makum at the Yucatec Maya village of Yo Chen (Corozal District) . Enjoy the Maya kitchen and the explanation .

• 05/31/20 - Pentecost Service with Rev. Angus Cayetano, Rev. Randy Webster & Sis. Juana Watler, 77min. Festival of the gift of the Holy Spirit ROATAN AND UTILA/NORTH COAST CIRCUITS Belize/ Honduras District

• Altun Ha Mayan Ruins & Belize Zoo, 12min. In today's video, we are flying on Maya Island Air over to the mainland of Belize for a very special private excursion. Come along and get a preview of Altun Ha Mayan Ruins and the World Famous Belize Zoo. Along the way get to see the 2nd largest barrier reef in the world from the air.

• Clayton Williams Irahu Le (This Child) Music Video, 4.5min. A look at Clayton Williams Young days growing up in Hopkins Belize. The love of Garifuna Drums got him today singing and Teaching Garifuna Culture to many. Irahu Le is the first single from his album releasing soon.