The District boundaries of Belize were drawn in line with timber concessions and used for jurisdictional purposes. Up to 1880, there were the Belize, Northern, Western and Southern Districts. In September 1881, the Northern District was separated into Orange Walk and Corozal. In 1882, the Southern District was divided into the Stann Creek and Toledo districts. Corozal and Orange Walk were amalgamated in 1887 reducing it to five districts. On 23rd May, 1906, the north was again separated.
Given its small voting population as per the 1935 Elective Principle, the north was again joined between 1939 and 1950. The last adjustment was in 1954 between the Toledo and Cayo Districts. The Toledo district was redrawn losing approximately 330 sq. miles.