Today marks the opening of the 2020 Spiny lobster season. Lobster is one of the most economically important seafood products for Belizean fishermen.
As the season kicks off, don't forget there are still regulations to follow!
- Minimum carapace length is 3 inches.
- Minimum tail weight is 4 ounces.
- No person or establishment should have in possession fillet or diced lobster tail.
- It is illegal to have in possession any soft shell lobster or females with eggs (berried).
- It is illegal to remove from any female lobster any eggs or spawn or the setae or fibre to which any eggs or spawn are or have been attached.
Remember, an open season doesn't mean free for all. Fish responsibly!
The Hol Chan Marine Reserve would like to wish all Fisher Folk a successful Lobster Season! We ask everyone to fish responsibly by observing all Fisheries Regulations. Please ensure that you are in possession of a valid Commercial Fisher Folk License issued by the Fisheries Department.
The Hol Chan Marine Reserve is actively patrolling and enforcing all Fisheries Regulations. We are committed to ensuring the long-term sustainability of our Marine Resources and in assisting with the protection of the livelihoods of our Fisher Folk.
If you suspect any illegal activity please contact the Hol Chan Marine Reserve Hotline at 614-3625.