Next Thread
Print Thread
Caribbean Investment to acquire Scotiabank's Belize operations #543089
06/22/20 04:32 AM
06/22/20 04:32 AM
oregon, spr
Marty Online happy OP

Marty  Online Happy OP
Caribbean Investment said it had agreed to acquire Scotiabank's licenced Belize banking operations for up to US$35m from Scotiabank Caribbean Holdings.

The acquisitions would expand the company's existing banking operations in Belize and that there were synergies between the group's current banking operations and the operations of SBL.

'As a consequence of the acquisition, the group's banking operations in Belize will be significantly expanded. The Acquisition is expected to be immediately earnings enhancing to Caribbean Investment,' the company said.

Under the terms of the deal, the company agreed to pay an initial US$30.5m, and an additional $4.5m in the event that the shareholders equity of Scotiabank (Belize) (SBL) exceeds US$28.5m as a result of any regulatory change occurring between signing and closing of the agreement.

StockMarketWire.com

More Information

Re: Caribbean Investment to acquire Scotiabank's Belize operations [Re: Marty] #543098
06/22/20 11:16 AM
06/22/20 11:16 AM
oregon, spr
Marty Online happy OP

Marty  Online Happy OP

Central Bank of Belize on the Acquisition of Scotiabank (Belize)

The Governor of Central Bank of Belize speaks on the acquisition of Scotiabank (Belize) by Caribbean Investment Holdings, the parent company of Belize Bank Ltd.

Re: Caribbean Investment to acquire Scotiabank's Belize operations [Re: Marty] #543108
06/23/20 04:27 AM
06/23/20 04:27 AM
oregon, spr
Marty Online happy OP

Marty  Online Happy OP

Ashcroft buys over Scotiabank

The banking sector in Belize is seeing yet another shift as Scotiabank’s Belize shares are being bought over. Lord Michael Ashcroft through his group, Caribbean Investments Holdings Limited (CIHL) has acquired Scotiabank’s Belize licensed operations. In the first instance, CIHL will pay thirty point five million US dollars to Scotiabank Caribbean Holdings.

The banking sector in Belize is seeing yet another shift as Scotiabank’s Belize shares are being bought over. Lord Michael Ashcroft through his group, Caribbean Investments Holdings Limited (CIHL) has acquired Scotiabank’s Belize licensed operations. In the first instance, CIHL will pay thirty point five million US dollars to Scotiabank Caribbean Holdings. Thereafter, an additional four point five million US dollars will be made if Scotia’s shareholders’ equity exceeds twenty-eight point five million US dollars based on regulatory changes from the time of the signing and the closing of the buy over. Reports are that senior staff of Scotiabank Belize was engaged in a virtual meeting earlier today with representatives of Ashcroft’s Caribbean Investment Holdings to discuss the merger and the way forward. According to the Governor of the Central Bank of Belize, Joy Grant, the discussion began well before the Covid-19 endemic took off in Belize.

Joy Grant, Governor of the Central Bank of Belize: “The Central Bank has been duly notified officially of an agreement for the acquisition of all the shares of Scotiabank Belize by Caribbean Investment Holdings Limited – the parent company of The Belize Bank Limited. This agreement will in effect represent an eventual merger of these two domestic banking institutions. To be absolutely clear while the transaction is commercial in nature between two private companies it is the Central Bank’s overarching interest, indeed our sacred mandate, to safeguard the monetary and financial system’s stability and to protect the Belizean dollar for the well being of Belize; this we will ensure. I want to assure the public that the Central Bank will endeavor to make the transition seamless. Scotiabank has assured that the buyer is committed to retaining all current employees for at least one year after closing the transaction.”

Ashcroft’s acquisition of Scotiabank Belize significantly expands his operations in the country and has now given his group the largest shares in the banking sector. Scotiabank which has been operating in Belize since 1968, currently has nine branches and twenty-one ATM machines nationwide. As noted by Governor Grant, the staff members are guaranteed one year job security as part of the buy-over agreement. As it relates to the existing Scotiabank customers, Governor Grant says they do not anticipate any hiccups in the way business is done.

Joy Grant, Governor of the Central Bank of Belize: “Both parties have already tendered their assurances that Scotiabank’s customers, employees as well as it’s financial footprint in our country will be protected. Further the acquisition process will not change the way customers currently use or access their accounts. While the Central Bank works expeditiously to complete the acquisition review this significant investment and expansion by The Belize Bank represents a bold expression of confidence in the long term potential of our economy. Such faith is praiseworthy particularly during this period of global crisis.”

As we noted, this is yet another shift in the banking sector in Belize. Back in August 2015, First Caribbean Bank was bought over by Heritage Bank; almost three years later, in June 2018, Choice Bank’s license was revoked by the Central Bank of Belize followed by Atlantic International Bank whose license was revoked in April 2019. With this merger, Belize will now have three local commercial banks, namely, Heritage Bank, Belize Bank and Atlantic Bank.

LoveFM

Belize Bank Ownership Group Buys Scotiabank Belize

Today started out with a seismic event in the banking sector when news broke that the Belize Bank's ownership group had bought Scotiabank Belize Limited.

It had been reported for over a year that Scotiabank Belize was up for sale - since it was well known that the Canadian owned bank was pulling out of the Caribbean. Up to last year, it had announced plans to exit nine countries in the region. And, now Belize.

A release from Lord Ashcroft's Caribbean Investment Holdings Limited says that the deal is for somewhere between 30 and 35 million US dollars. And, for that, Caribbean Investment Holdings takes over all Scotiabank operations in Belize, every branch and ATM, and every employee.

Jules Vasquez reports that the now super-sized Belize Bank also takes over the lion's share of the market:

At 8:30 in the morning, Scotiabank would normally be open, but today it had up the "Closed" sign. That's because 150 staffers countrywide were in a virtual meeting with management who was giving them the news that the bank, their bank had a new owner, the guys from down the street, the Ashcroft Alliance, in this case, Caribbean Investment Holdings Limited - whose flagship is the Belize Bank.

The agreement was signed on Friday - and the regulator was notified.

A. Joy Grant, Governor - Central Bank
"The Central Bank has been notified officially of an Agreement for the acquisition of all the shares of Scotiabank (Belize) by Caribbean Investment Holdings Limited, the parent company of the Belize Bank Limited. This Agreement will, in effect, represent an eventual merger of these two domestic banking institutions."

A merger of Belize Bank and Scotia which will see one bank controlling 50% of the total assets in the commercial banking sector and almost three quarters of the actual net income of the banking sector.

Make no mistake it is a very big deal - and the end of an era for Scotia which has been in Belize since 1968, and currently has 9 branches and 21 ATMs.

A release from Ashcroft's Caribbean Investment Holdings says, quote, only the ownership of the company will change once the transaction closes and all employees will continue to support the business."

"I want to assure the public that the Central Bank will endeavour to make the transition seamless. Scotiabank has assured that the buyer is committed to retain all current employees for at least one year after closing the transaction."

As the regulator, the Central Bank is undertaking a detailed legal, technical and operational review of this purchase agreement. Both parties have already tendered their assurances that Scotiabank Bank's customers, employees, as well as its financial footprint in Belize will be protected. Further, the acquisition process will not change the way customers currently use or access their accounts.

Scotiabank staffers have been told that they will keep their jobs for 12 months after the sales closes at, quote, a "comparable salary."

That closing will depend in part on the approval of the regulator, which should be no problem considering how the governor was singing the Ashcroft Alliance's praises today:

"This significant investment and expansion by the Belize Bank represent a bold expression of confidence in the long-term potential of the economy. Such faith is praiseworthy, particularly during this period of global crisis."

And, as we face this global crisis Belize now loses its last international banking franchise with a strong correspondent banking relationship.

What it gains is a powerhouse Belize Bank with a perhaps unprecedented market share almost half of all the loans, assets and deposits in the banking sector.

Prior to the merger, Belize Bank held 27% of the assets in the commercial banking sector while Scotiabank held 23%.

Now, this new amalgamated bank, together with Atlantic Bank will hold a combined 85% of the total assets in the banking sector - effectively creating what would be called an oligopoly.

And while the Central Bank of Belize seems to be cheering on the sale, we note that last year in Guyana, the Central Bank there denied Scotiabank permission to sell its business to another bank, citing concerns about concentration and competition.

Channel 7

Re: Caribbean Investment to acquire Scotiabank's Belize operations [Re: Marty] #543126
06/23/20 11:40 AM
06/23/20 11:40 AM
oregon, spr
Marty Online happy OP

Marty  Online Happy OP

Scotiabank Belize to be Sold to Belize Bank Ltd.

The biggest single investment at this time of the COVID pandemic was announced this morning. Caribbean Investment Holdings, the parent company for the Belize Bank, announced it will be acquiring Scotia Bank Belize, which has been on the market for some time, pending final regulatory approval. The sale is part of a regional refocusing by the Canadian bank. The transaction amounts to upwards of thirty million U.S. dollars and when completed, will expand the footprint of the Belize Bank in the banking sector. In the meantime, assurances have been given that Scotia employees are not being affected.

Re: Caribbean Investment to acquire Scotiabank's Belize operations [Re: Marty] #543137
06/24/20 04:19 AM
06/24/20 04:19 AM
oregon, spr
Marty Online happy OP

Marty  Online Happy OP

Former Central Bank Gov. Urges Caution on Bank Merger/Acquisition

Last night we told you all about the big deal in the banking sector - where Belize Bank's ownership group bought Scotia bank Belize.

Pending approval from the Central Bank, it will create a very large bank controlling about half of the market. But, is it a good deal for Belize? And for Scotiabank customers? That's what we asked the former Governor of the Central Bank Glen Ysaguirre today. He said mergers can go either way for the market, but the regulator has to do all it can to make sure the confidence of the public in their trusted, old bank is not shaken:

Glen Ysaguirre - Former Governor, Central Bank (2008-2016)
"Mergers can be one of two things. Acquisitions and mergers can have significant pay-offs or they can introduce significant peril. And it all depends on how you manage it. What will be key during the process, of course, one of the things that I, as a regulator, would be looking at, what will the new entity look like after the merger? How will it be managed and how will the regulator handle it given the size and the enormity of what it will be? How will the public react to it? Normally with mergers and acquisitions, public reaction is normally emotional in the initial stages. And their reaction to it can determine whether or not the anticipated pay-off for the acquiring bank will be realized. That is why I am saying their communication plan for the general public has to be very responsive and quick to address any of these concerns and sensitivities. Because the reality is that banking is a relationship. So, naturally, having been in the country from 1968 or much earlier people have been life long customers so they get a sense of betrayal when you are just pulling out and that kind of thing. And that's where the emotion comes in. They are not looking at the business aspect of it. So, the acquiring bank will have to commit and dedicate some resources to make sure that the transition is seamless and to make sure that people don't suffer any angst about their new services and their new relationship."

Jules Vasquez- Reporter
"The Central Bank, in its release and the statement from the Governor has praised that the "significant investment and expansion represents a bold expression of confidence in the long term potential of the economy. Such faith is praise worthy." It seems, my interpretation, is that the Central Bank as regulator, perhaps should not be cheer leading when it still has its work to do. I know you don't want to speak ill of your successor but what was your reaction when you heard this cheerful blessing almost of the transition?"

Glen Ysaguirre
"Well, one would want to think that something would not be given easily if the regulator is not totally satisfied that the entities involved are capable of conducting this transaction without disrupting the stability of the system. Maybe it was an attempt to address any public anxiety that may be there about such a change. But it is something that I think is necessary for the regulator to give assurances to the public in that regard."

That's just part one of an extended, opinionated conversation with the former governor. We'll have his analysis of the merger and acquisition in part two of our interview tomorrow.

Channel 7

Re: Caribbean Investment to acquire Scotiabank's Belize operations [Re: Marty] #543140
06/24/20 04:51 AM
06/24/20 04:51 AM
oregon, spr
Marty Online happy OP

Marty  Online Happy OP
Central Bank ensures protection for Scotiabank’s customers

The Central Bank of Belize is ensuring that the process of acquisition of shares from Scotiabank by the Caribbean Investment Holdings Limited goes smoothly. According to a press release from Central Bank, both parties have made assurances that Scotiabank’s customers and employees will be protected. The acquisition process will also not change the way that customers access their accounts. It is in the Central Bank’s interest to safeguard the monetary and financial systems stability as well as to protect the Belize dollar. The Central Bank has commenced a detail review of the agreement between the two parties and will ensure that foreign currency already in the banking system is not used for purposes of this sale

[Linked Image]

LoveFM

=============================

Lord Ashcroft’s Change of Heart in Investing in Belize

The process of finalizing the sale of Scotiabank Belize to Caribbean Investment Holdings is several months away, as the Central Bank, as regulator of the financial sector, does it does its due diligence. Following the announcements by the two parties on Monday, the governor of the Central Bank, Joy Grant, provided assurances that the interest of Belizeans will be safeguarded. The transaction, however, was well over a year in the making, as both parties negotiated the cost of acquiring all local assets from Scotiabank. Employees at Scotia Bank Belize have been secured of their jobs for the next twelve months and the bank continues to operate as usual. When the Canadian Bank started to refocus in and divest holdings in Caribbean in 2019; there was not much interest on the part of Lord Michael Ashcroft to purchase the bank which has been in operation in Belize since 1968 and merge it with the Belize Bank. Previous legal wrangling with the Barrow administration had left a bad taste in the mouth of the investor who, at the time, frowned on the idea of spending additional monies on projects in the country. The landscape is now changing and elections are months away. In an interview on the eve of the announcement of the acquisition on Monday, Lord Ashcroft explained why he is once again ready to do business.

Lord Michael Ashcroft

“Well like in any negotiation, Scotia wanted us to believe that there were three hundred and sixty-two other people interested in this crown jewel and very soon we came to the conclusion that there were not many people that actually either had the resource, the commitment or the money to effect a transaction that Scotia were happy would complete and would get their money at the end of the day. And so, it was a process of elimination perhaps over a year to get to this particular point and that was the deal that was then struck. At first, I wasn’t too interested. I let when First Caribbean exited the country, I made no move to want to merge that operation with the Belize Bank. I felt both the arguments that I was having with the government, the litigation with the government, that it would only be a fool that would invest further in the country. However, this time around with an election coming up, a new prime minister on the horizon and the COVID situation and at my age of seventy-four, I want the next few years of my life to contribute as much as I can to the nation of Belize.”

Channel 5

Re: Caribbean Investment to acquire Scotiabank's Belize operations [Re: Marty] #543205
06/27/20 05:41 AM
06/27/20 05:41 AM
oregon, spr
Marty Online happy OP

Marty  Online Happy OP

PM Sorry To See Scotia Go

We asked the Prime Minister about the Belize Bank's acquisition of Scotiabank Limited. That makes the Belize Bank the largest commercial bank by far in Belize, and takes the last global brand out of the sector.

The Prime Minister discussed the significance and the implications:

Rt. Hon. Dean Barrow, Prime Minister
"I'm sorry to see Scotia go. I think their exit deprives us of an institution that was particularly stable and that had global reach. We've had our difficulties with corresponding banking. At no time could that a sort of potential calamity have overtaken Scotia, because of their global brand. So we lose that. The acquisition by Belize Bank will mean that that particular shield has now been lost to us."

Reporter
"With the majority of shareholding, an Ashcroft group will now hold and everything that you said in relation to Ashcroft in the past and the business relationship that he has had with Belize, does that factor into..."

"Making the point that indeed there is one less institution in the banking space. That in and of itself is something we would not have wished for. The fact that the acquiring bank will now be find a way the dominant player in that space. That is no doubt an elephant in the room, but I am saying that I don't want to go beyond that. I'm not going to personalize this."

Reporter
"Maybe I shouldn't say the country, but a lot of people would."

"Well I don't think that what I should do at this juncture especially because remember this can't be consummated until the Central Bank has finish its regulatory work and my understanding is that's a 4-month period."

Channel 7

Re: Caribbean Investment to acquire Scotiabank's Belize operations [Re: Marty] #543278
07/01/20 04:31 AM
07/01/20 04:31 AM
oregon, spr
Marty Online happy OP

Marty  Online Happy OP
BCCI CONCERNED ABOUT INEVITABLE ECONOMIC AND CONSUMER IMPACT OF SCOTIABANK (Belize) Ltd’s ACQUISITION

On Monday, June 22, 2020 the Belizean public was notified of a share purchase agreement by which Caribbean Investment Holdings Limited (CIHL), the parent company of The Belize Bank Limited, would acquire the shares of Scotiabank (Belize) Limited, pending regulatory approval. This acquisition leaves 50% of the commercial banking sector under the control of one institution and reduces the number of commercial banks in Belize from five to four. The impact of this transaction will be felt across the entire spectrum of personal and business customers seeking credit, finance, foreign exchange, correspondent bank services, and much more. It is therefore imperative for the BCCI to express its views and concerns.

This acquisition highlights the need for the Government to introduce competition laws, to ensure that market dominance will not adversely affect any industry. In other more developed jurisdictions, prior to any acquisition, the regulator would undertake an in-depth assessment of the impact of the acquisition on the market and on consumers. The BCCI considers it imperative that the Central Bank of Belize, as the regulator of all financial institutions, exercises wholesome scrutiny to guard against further reduction of access to finance or against anti-competitive behavior resulting from the consolidation of the banking sector. It therefore urges:

• That the Central Bank of Belize reviews this acquisition in the context of its impact on the overall banking sector, as well as from a consumer protection standpoint;

• That the Central Bank of Belize considers the impact that the loss of Scotiabank (Belize) Limited will have on the country’s stability and it ability to access and maintain correspondent banking relationships;

• That the Central Bank of Belize ensures that the risk of anti-competitive behavior is eliminated, in particular by introducing regulations that will limit the percentage of market share that can be held by any one institution; and

• That the Government of Belize through its investment promoters and other relevant bodies encourages and incentivizes new commercial banking institutions to enter Belize, while the Central Bank opens the market to encourage properly regulated modern alternatives to traditional banking.

The BCCI is fully aware of the risk profile the Caribbean presents to foreign banks and recognizes the difficulty this creates in attracting financial institutions to our small jurisdiction. The fight against money laundering fueled by the illegal drug trade, people trafficking proceeds, and general corruption, exacerbate our risk profile. Our members have borne the full burden of the resultant banking de-risking efforts, which reduced overall access to finance, increased business cost, and loss of competitiveness. It is highly unlikely that this situation will improve if the number of banks in the market continues to reduce or market concentration follows through unchecked.

Re: Caribbean Investment to acquire Scotiabank's Belize operations [Re: Marty] #543313
07/03/20 04:48 AM
07/03/20 04:48 AM
oregon, spr
Marty Online happy OP

Marty  Online Happy OP

PM Barrow Sends Ashcroft Alliance Warnings on Scotiabank

The Prime Minister held a press conference this morning - and in a sidebar spoke very questioningly about the Belize Bank acquisition of Scotiabank Limited. He says the central Bank has to take a long hard look:

Rt. Hon. Dean Barrow - Prime Minister

"That is the elephant in the room, that if somebody is going to own, if after the merger there is going to be this kind of super dominant position of the new entity. If this proposed acquisition is to be approved by the central bank of Belize, whose jurisdiction it is, it would put the Belize Bank in a dominant position. Now, Government has to weigh in on this matter. I hope that whatever I say can be divorced from what people will see as any personal feud between Lord Ashcroft and me. If the regulator is the entity to grant approval for the final consummation of this deal, that must mean, if you can grant approval inherent in that is that you can withhold approval. So, all I am saying is that the public and I see now there are beginning to be statements made, I noted very carefully what the Chamber of Commerce had to say. I have had phone calls from various interested persons. I just want to offer, again, the assurance that this is not a done deal. I would certainly suggest that this is so huge. You are talking about creating a bank that will be too big to fail. You will have to walk on tiptoes around, try to treat with very gingerly, and all these things are very critical. I would suggest, that perhaps without any prejudice to the expertise resident in the Central Bank, that it might be just as well to get some kind of expert assistance. This is hugely consequential and without wanting to prejudice the outcome of the process, I know for sure that it can only take place in a way that at the end of the day can satisfy Belizeans that even if they don't agree with whatever decision the Central Bank ultimately makes that it was a decision properly come to on the basis of looking at everything that needs to be looked at. Government does not give instructions to the Central Bank with respect to something like this but there is a Central Bank board, majority of which is appointed by the minister of finance, you can be assured that apart from the faith that I naturally have on the governor, I will also, not just by way of what I am saying publicly today, but by way of personal interaction with the board, try to make absolutely sure that this thing is handled with the complete thoroughness." The Prime Minister notably spoke much more decisively than he did last week when we asked him the same thing. Of course, since then the government has lost a massive and costly judgement at the CCJ to the Alliance - and you'll hear the PM's reaction to that later on.

Channel 7

Re: Caribbean Investment to acquire Scotiabank's Belize operations [Re: Marty] #543837
08/01/20 04:38 AM
08/01/20 04:38 AM
oregon, spr
Marty Online happy OP

Marty  Online Happy OP
GOB Will Look More Closely At Belize Bank Ownership

And, the PM says Ashcroft's reference to Waterloo Investment Holdings Limited as the owner of both British Caribbean Bank Limited and Private Investment Limited, is reason enough to give the government pause to reflect on the Belize Bank's acquisition of Scotiabank Belize:

Rt. Hon. Dean Barrow- Prime Minister
"It strikes me that the Government's position in terms of for example the proposed acquisition of Scotia Bank by the Belize Bank is something that this Government will have to take a formal stand on. If the Belize Bank and the if the merger goes through, Scotia bank together with Belize Bank, the new super size, the expanded Belize Bank, is owned by a company that according to the good Lord will immediately trigger some recourse to the Belize-UK bilateral investment protection treaty, if Belize, presumably by way of the regulator, does anything ultimately not to the liking of that new supersized entity. Is not that sort of thing cause of a pause?"

Channel 7

Links
Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
Maruba Beach Klub and Spa is the premiere Secret Beach spa and restaurant located on the crystal blue waters of the Caribbean Sea at the center of Secret Beach, Belize
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
ReefTV
Love FM
The Reporter
PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater
San Pedro Fun Finder
Paradise Guy Event Calendar
Cayo Event Calendar

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Belize Happy Adventures
Conch Creative
Caribbean Culture & Lifestyle
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Click for Ian Anderson's Caves Branch, Welcome to a World of Adventure
Lil Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
August
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
ShoutChat Box
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (bobcat bill, Marty), 131 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics71,846
Posts482,108
Members19,685
Most Online2,982
Jan 29th, 2019

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.