Next Thread
Print Thread
Legislations Passed In Preparation for Reopening of P.G.I.A. #543906
08/04/20 06:05 AM
08/04/20 06:05 AM
oregon, spr
Marty Offline OP

Marty  Offline OP

Even as there is a spike in the number of cases, government is preparing for the reopening of the Philip Goldson International Airport on August fifteenth and the soft reopening of the tourism industry to international tourists. Today, four bills were introduced and passed in one sitting.  The Electronic Transactions Amendment seeks to promote the development of the legal and business infrastructure necessary to implement secure electronic commerce, while the Immigration Amendment seeks to expand the duties of immigrants entering Belize. There is also the Hotels and Tourist Accommodation Amendment, which empowers the minister to make regulations in the interest of public safety, public order, and public health if there is a threat or outbreak of an infectious disease. The Quarantine Amendment authorizes the minister to declare the whole or any part of Belize to be an area inflicted by, or under the threat of an infectious disease. These pieces of legislation were designed to better protect the public and prevent an outbreak of the deadly coronavirus after the airport reopens. The Opposition People’s United Party, however, believes that the government missed crucial factors. 

Kareem Musa, Area Representative, Caribbean Shores

“I believe Madam Speaker this piece of legislation falls short in terms of setting out the procedure of how it is that our immigration department will deal with a foreigner once he has landed because it says here that he will be refused leave to land but as you know in a very practical sense the plane would have already landed in Belize, the individual would have presented themselves at the immigration front desk and it would be until that point that they inform that they do not want to take the medical test. And so the question arises Madam Speaker what happens then?”

Prime Minister Dean Barrow

“It is therefore simple and facile on his part to suggest that the immigration amendment doesn’t go far enough and that it displays some huge omissions because there are no provisions made for what happens in the event that somebody is refused permission to enter. First of all you most know that is not something that is unusual you know. Minister will tell you immigration officers refuse people to enter all the time. You are exposed, your nakedness. Your slip is showing.”

Kareem Musa

“And I don’t believe that w should look at these three pieces of legislation in isolation. As I said it seems inevitable even with all that is going on around us that we have made up our minds hell or high water that we are going to open the airport even though in the great United States of America they have seen the highest number of cases ever and it only keeps climbing by the day. Why is it Madam Speaker at other countries in Europe for instance? We were told that there was going to be a geo-bracelet would go on your hand and they will track you no matter what part of the country you are in. I’ve been told that that geo-bracelet is still not in country and won’t be here until the end of September. Are we ready?”

John Briceño, Leader of the Opposition

“Why are we concentrating only in brining Americans into the country when right now we have a massive problem with Covid-19 in the United States? We have countries like the Bahamans, I think even Barbados that have closed their doors from allowing American tourists from coming to their country. We should be looking at other areas; other places bring people from Canada, from Europe. We have been talking about that my good  friend from San Pedro but again they want the easy way out.”

Prime Minister Dean Barrow

“Both he and the leader of the Opposition suggest there is a lack of preparation because the bills that we are looking to pass don’t go far enough. You look at the Quarantine Act for example. That tells you what will happen to people who refuse to comply with the lawful orders given to the by authorities. It makes provisions for what you do for them. It makes provisions to which quarantine place you are going to put them. So read the thing. You see, he is playing the fool. Again he is being dishonest.”

Channel 5

Re: Legislations Passed In Preparation for Reopening of P.G.I.A. [Re: Marty] #543912
08/04/20 09:48 AM
08/04/20 09:48 AM
San Pedro, Belize
Judyann H. Offline
Judyann H.  Offline
" There is also the Hotels and Tourist Accommodation Amendment, which empowers the minister to make regulations in the interest of public safety, public order, and public health if there is a threat or outbreak of an infectious disease. The Quarantine Amendment authorizes the minister to declare the whole or any part of Belize to be an area inflicted by, or under the threat of an infectious disease."

Yikes! Did I misunderstand? Did this legislation allow one person to make a decision about Quarantine without any checks and balances? .... If so, that means the Gold Standard Guidelines could now be interpreted as law? .....

Hoping with the deepest of hopes that we move forward with the people's livelihood in mind and not a political agenda.

Last edited by Judyann H.; 08/04/20 09:49 AM.

My friends call me Judyann

www.blackorchidrestaurant.com

Links
Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
Maruba Beach Klub and Spa is the premiere Secret Beach spa and restaurant located on the crystal blue waters of the Caribbean Sea at the center of Secret Beach, Belize
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
ReefTV
Love FM
The Reporter
PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater
San Pedro Fun Finder
Paradise Guy Event Calendar
Cayo Event Calendar

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Belize Happy Adventures
Conch Creative
Caribbean Culture & Lifestyle
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Click for Ian Anderson's Caves Branch, Welcome to a World of Adventure
Lil Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
ShoutChat Box
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 152 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics72,249
Posts483,181
Members19,700
Most Online2,982
Jan 29th, 2019

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.