STATUTORY INSTRUMENT No. 110 of 2020

WHEREAS, section 18 (2) of the Belize Constitution provides that the Governor-General may, by proclamation which shall be published in the Gazette, declare that a state of public emergency exists for the purposes of Part II of the Constitution;

AND WHEREAS, section 18 (3) of the Belize Constitution provides that, in order to have effect, the proclamation must contain a declaration of the Governor-General that he is satisfied that a public emergency has arisen as a result of the outbreak of infectious disease;

AND WHEREAS, section 18 (4) of the Belize Constitution provides that a proclamation made under section 18 (2) may be made so as to apply only to such part of Belize as may be specified in the proclamation;

AND WHEREAS, I am satisfied that a public emergency has arisen in the entire country of Belize as a result of the outbreak of the infectious disease known as COVID-19;

AND WHEREAS, section 18 (5) of the Belize Constitution provides that a proclamation made by the Governor-General for the purposes of and in accordance with section 18 of the Constitution shall, unless previously revoked, remain in force for a period not exceeding one month; but may be extended from time to time by a resolution passed by the National Assembly for further periods, not exceeding in respect of each such extension a period of twelve months; and may be revoked at any time by a resolution of the National Assembly;

NOW, THEREFORE, I, Colville N. Young, Governor- General of Belize, in exercise of the powers vested in me by the above mentioned provisions of the Belize Constitution and otherwise, Do Hereby Declare And Proclaim that effective August 7th 2020

(a) a public emergency exists in the entire country of Belize;

(b) this Proclamation shall, unless previously revoked, remain in force for a period of fourteen days, or such longer period, not exceeding twelve months, as may be determined by resolution passed by the National Assembly.

GIVEN under my hand and the Public Seal of Belize this 6th day of August, 2020.

COLVILLE N. YOUNG, Governor-General

GOD SAVE BELIZE!!

https://www.pressoffice.gov.bz/wp-c...020-Belize-Constitution-Proclamation.pdf