BelizeNews.com BelizeSearch.com BelizePhotographs.com Lodging

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Message from Dr. D's Clinic:

My dear community,

Our first case has been confirmed today. Now more than ever, each of us must take full responsibility in adhering to all safety measures put in place. Also, you can make take extra steps at home in a strong effort to protect yourself, family and friends. This is not a drill, this is not maybe...this is here and now. It will take our individual effort for us to move forward together and minimize the spread of COVID19 on our island. Our actions can contain and put a stop to the spread of the virus very soon.

We condemn all types of stigmatization and discrimination against all CoViD19 victims, especially our fellow islander. We must be supportive and encourage nothing but positive vibes and as kind as we may want to be, we ought to respect the privacy of individuals.

Today it's our first islander, tomorrow it may be you! Let us come together and do our part to make our island safe again.

Note: Listen to the relevant authorities for official information.

Do not fear, Be intelligent, Be precautious,
Be safe and stay home.

Together as one we shall fight to protect our little and amazing island we call home!

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Please call or send and email before you come to our office. We are trying our best to minimize person to person contact.
Caye Caulker Village Council

[Linked Image]

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

A Positive Case of COVID-19 Detected on Caye Caulker

As the number of positive cases continues to spike on Ambergris Caye, on Monday night, Caye Caulker recorded its first case of the novel coronavirus. Travel to nearby San Pedro was constant prior to the lockdown so the spread of COVID-19 to Caye Caulker was predictable.� While the news was not unexpected, it has still sent shivers through the small community.� Today, News Five's Duane Moody got a sense of the mood on the island.� Here is that story.

Duane Moody, Reporting

The confirmation of a case of COVID-19 on La Isla Cari�osa was not exactly a surprise to residents as the numbers in San Pedro continue to grow.� In fact prior to the lockdown of Ambergris Caye, islanders travelled back and forth between cayes via public and private transportation. But even as they hoped the precautionary measures would have kept the virus away, on Monday night, Caye Caulker recorded its first positive case.

Seleny Villanueva-Pott, Chairlady, Caye Caulker Village Council

"For us, on the island, we were expecting a positive case. We are located between both San Pedro-which we can consider one of the epicentres and we are so close to San Pedro-and Belize which is coming up with more cases. It is kinda inevitable that we have some cases coming up. So it was just a matter of time as commuting was still happening between San Pedro and here and is still happening between Belize City and here."

This first positive case for Caye Caulker has no apparent link to any previously identified case for now and the Ministry of Health has commenced contact tracing of this COVID-19 patient.

Dr. Marvin Manzanero, Director of Health Services

"It is an adult male. I don't have any other particulars other than that. The team is doing their contact tracing, swabbing family members or whoever may be needed to be swabbed.� No apparent link; that's what we got. But once we start doing contact tracing and try to identify where there could have been a potential situation. And so when we record that infographic it is very preliminary, it doesn't have the details that people would want."

Chairlady Seleny Villanueva-Pott says that Caye Caulker is a small community, but residents should not panic and simply adhere to the social distancing guidelines, hand washing and the use of facemasks.

Seleny Villanueva-Pott

"When the S.O.E. was lifted about maybe a month ago, people were in a different realm and everybody felt free. And slowly we've seen that, since cases started to pop up across the country of Belize, people have been slowly going back into their safety mode. Most people on the island are using masks, most are very cautious of the distance of six feet.� We've been doing a lot of sensitization in that and we keep telling people to make sure they wash and sanitize their hands as often as possible. We've seen the grocery stores and a lot of the stories implementing if not basins, hand sprays before entering the stories. So we've come a long way.�� It's like the saying goes, the virus does not spread on its own, the people spread it and once there is movement of people, the virus will come."

Back in April, the council, with support from the Ministry of Health set up an isolation centre on the island.

Seleny Villanueva-Pott

"Our isolation area is still there; everything is still in order. If needs be and we have to take anybody in the area, we will. That hasn't change at all. So it is just a matter of time before, God forbid that we need it; it is available for use."

Channel 5

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
No Rush to Get Off Caye Caulker

When San Pedro began seeing an increase in COVID-19 cases, a number of persons fled from the island to the mainland to escape not only the virus, but what would later become a second lockdown of Ambergris Caye from the rest of the country. But Chairlady Seleny Villanueva-Pott says that there is no rush to get off Caye Caulker because most persons who worked on the island had already returned to the mainland in March at the time of the first lockdown.

Seleny Villanueva-Pott, Chairlady, Caye Caulker Village Council

"Since the first lockdown in March, we saw people who lost their jobs, they literally packed up everything and had to leave because they wouldn't be able to make their monthly rent. We've slowly seen that continued and we haven't had that rush of people leaving the island because a lot of people had left already. Maybe if they announce a new S.O.E for Caye Caulker then maybe we will see that, but so far, we haven't seen that. It is a steady pace for now and I hope it keeps that way because I wouldn't want anybody to take out the virus."

Channel 5

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

COVID Concerns On Caye Caulker

Caye Caulker confirmed with its first positive case on Monday night.

At this time, that patient is the first out of a total of 254 positive cases countrywide to be identified on the island.

Today, we got a chance to speak with the chairperson of the Caye Caulker Village Council about the fact that this deadly and contagious virus has now arrived at their community.

Here's what she told our Daniel Ortiz this afternoon, via a teleconference interview:

Seleny Villanueva Pott, Chairlady, Caye Caulker Village Council
"We know that the first positive case has been identified. We do know that he is a male. That is what the DHS said, other than that we are nor really sure the details, because the ministry has no obligation to reveal who it is due to patient confidentiality in health. That's a very big thing. The only thing we worry about is that it's a really small community and we interact a lot and that really is everybody's worry and that's why I think it's important that contact tracing is done quickly on the island, because there is a lot of interactions between villages on a daily basis. The island is just do small. It's just a matter of time to see the contact tracing done here on the island and see if we have any more cases related to the one. It was some good news to know that the first positive case they said it was somewhat isolated, so we just have to wait and see what more will come out of the other swabs that were done here."

Reporter
"In the event that a community spread is identified in Caye Caulker, are you guys think you are adequately prepared to handle it?"

Seleny Villanueva Pott
"We are not adequately prepared. We only have maybe 3 nurses right now and 1 doctor, but I am sure that ministry of health will send the additional staffing if needed. As we speak there is a public health officer who is assisting with contact tracing. The nurses have been on contact tracing since yesterday I think. They've been working very hard and I'd hate to knock my colleagues when I know they've been trying their best. I think they've been doing a pretty good job at the contact tracing and I would want to encourage them to continue working hard."

The Village Chair was speaking to us from her home, where she is now in voluntary isolation. That's because she has been swabbed for Covid-19, on the possibility that she may have contracted the virus herself.

In a Facebook post from 5 hours ago, Villanueva-Pott said, quote, "I came into contact with the positive person in my line of duty and I have been exhibiting some flu-like symptoms. I have been in isolation since the results of the positive case. I believe in leading by example, and will continue to do so." End quote.

We asked her about the possibility that she may also test positive for COVID-19, and here's what she had to say about that:

Seleny Villanueva Pott
"I started to manifest flu-like symptoms. I have runny nose and a slight flu with slight fever, but other than that I am fine. I have a good appetite, I love eating. I am sure if it's a flu that's passing through or if its Covid. I don't know and that why the nurses said for us to be precautious and let's do a swab and if it's the right thing to do I will do it. I've been in contact with a lot of people, but I've been very careful. As a pharmacist, the minute we knew that there were cases popping up, in my pharmacy there are different regimens that we practice: we must wear mask, we must wash our hands as often as possible, we have spray bottles as soon as we finish touching money we would spray our hands. I even installed a service window in my pharmacy, so we've been taken all the necessary precautions and I know I did made contact with a couple people who we are suspecting, we are not sure, but they are pending results as well and because of my flu-like symptoms that is why they insisted on testing me and we just have to wait. It could be a false alarm, it could be positive, I don't know."

Channel 7

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
One new case in Caye Caulker. We now have 4 active cases on our little island.

==========

Caye Caulker seeing an increase in Covid-19 cases

La Isla Cari�osa, Caye Caulker, now has three confirmed cases of Coronavirus. The first case was announced by the Ministry of Health on Monday, August 10th, and two days later, another two were confirmed. Two of the patients have taken to social media to reveal their status and are urging those they came in contact with to be on alert and to seek medical attention if they experience flu-like symptoms. One of these patients is well-known islander Celina Jimenez, who stated via her Facebook page that she felt obligated to inform her Caye Caulker community of the positive COVID-19 test result.

On Thursday, August 13th, another Caye Caulker resident announced her positive status. Clivia Aguilar stated that it is not easy knowing that the virus is in her. "I just got a phone call stating that I am COVID-19 positive," she said. Aguilar included in her post that despite being infected, she is asymptomatic.

Click here to read the rest of the article in the San Pedro Sun

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
C.C. Covid 19 Update

Good morning Caye Caulker, we are now at 7 POSITIVE COVID 19 CASES!

A total of 11 test have been processed. (7 Positive 4 Negative)
Many samples have not been processed as yet
More samples will be taken today!
3 out of 7 patients are symptomatic.

Its important to note that our age group of positive patients are from 22 to 52 years of age. 4 patients are above 40. That means that we should take keen attention and protect our elders since they are the most vulnerable

Please respect people's Privacy and stop the Stigmatization.
Please don't be concerned about names, what the public should be concerned and focused on is doing their part and following the safety measures such as STAY HOME, move only for ESSENTIAL PURPOSES, don't accept visitors at home, wear mask or face shield properly, hand washing, physical distancing, eat healthy, keep healthy with your multivitamins and zinc and excercise.

My fellow Caye Caulker, 7cases is not good for our small island. Please help us help you and do what has been advised repeatedly.

Our fight against COVID 19 ....... DEPENDS ON YOU!

Caye Caulker Health Center

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Caye Caulker Covid stats...

Total # of Positive Cases: 20
Total # of Negative Cases: 25
Total # of recovered patients: 2
Total # of active cases: 18

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Update on Caye Caulker cases
10/9/2020
1 New
Total 34 Positive cases, 28 Active cases, 6 Recovered

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Update on Caye Caulker cases

2 New Cases, Total 50 Positive,
16 Recovered 34 Active Cases

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 241 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,030
Members20,470
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day