Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
What's on Brent's mind? He's just a guy in Belize with strong opinions on current affairs, politics, the economy, and society. Unfiltered and uncensored, this weekly podcast will give you something to think and talk about.

https://twocentsbelize.buzzsprout.com/

Episode 1 - KKK / PGIA / UDP, JULY 06, 2020

The former leader of the KKK might be a citizen of Belize. Concern about Covid-19 when the Belize International Airport re-opens in August. And everything old could be new again when the UDP elects their next leader.

It's the debut episode of Brent's Two Cents, the newest podcast from Belize!

Episode 2 - Faber Shocks the UDP! Another State of Emergency. What's Really going on at Elections and Boundaries?, JULY 13, 2020

Patrick Faber pulls off a David vs. Goliath and is the new leader-elect of the UDP. What will that mean for both major parties come election day?

How do we balance the desire to be safe with the right to be free? One retailer bans men from their store while another state of emergency gives Police the power to ignore our constitutional rights.

And why can we only transfer voter registration in July and August? My two cents on the real reason for such an odd policy.

Episode 3- Back to School Covid Concerns / Why I Did Nothing When I Witnessed Corruption at the Immigration & Nationality Department, JULY 20, 2020

Parents are worried about sending their children back to school on August 10. My two cents on why August 10 is the wrong date to start the new school year.

Also, scandal at the Immigration and Nationality Department is nothing new. I share a deeply personal story about the time I witnessed corruption happening - just as new Belizeans were being sworn in - and why I did NOTHING about it.

Episode 4 - WTF Happend at Port? / How "Karen" Could Harm the Belize Tourism Brand, JULY 26, 2020

My two cents on a dark day in Belize's history as the GSU unleashes tear gas and rubber bullets on peaceful protesters at the Port of Belize. Why did this happen and who gave the order to attack?

Also, there is more than just health risks to consider with reopening the airport to foreign visitors. A few pissed off "Karens" could destroy the tourism brand of Belize. Is BTB ready to respond when that happens?

And a bit of good news about how Rotary and other generous Belizeans raised funds to help children prepare to return to school during these challenging times.

Episode 5 - Danny Mason Sentence is Not Enough / US Ambassador Nominee Wants to Starve the Poor / Paranda Boy and the Magical Guitar, AUGUST 03, 2020

The Danny Mason Five are going to prison for life. My two cents on why justice has yet to be served and who else needs to pay for this crime.

President Trump has finally nominated a US Ambassador to Belize. However, there is one big problem... his nominee thinks poor people are like stray animals!

And in the Good News segment, I'll speak to Garifuna musician Clayton "C-Wills" Williams about Paranda Boy and the Magical Guitar. This wonderful illustrated children's book will be available starting August 14th.

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Episode 6 - Belize Catches Massive Second Wave of Covid-19 / Good News from the Belize Zoo, AUGUST 10, 2020

Belize experienced 105 confirmed cases of Covid-19 in just 8 days! The second wave looks more like a tsunami. How did this happen? Who is to blame? Will we learn from our mistakes before it gets even worse?

Plus, listeners give their own two cents about the situation in Belize.

And some good news from the Belize Zoo. Generous supporters have raised enough money to make sure no animals will go hungry during this difficult time, at least for now.

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Episode 7 - Stop Waiting To Be Told What Not To Do! / Comfort Food for Pandemic Patients, AUGUST 17, 2020

Belize just experienced the worst week of the pandemic so far with 300 more cases of Covid-19. The Prime Minister says a national lockdown is not going to happen, at least not yet. My two cents on why all of us need to stop waiting to be told what not to do.

Some good news from San Pedro: Alexandria Boiton is offering to provide free pot pies to anyone who tests positive for Covid-19 on the island. A bit of comfort food while Covid Warriors recover!

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Episode 8 - More Community Heroes in Caye Caulker and San Pedro!, AUGUST 24, 2020

A special "good news" podcast featuring community heroes in Caye Caulker and San Pedro. The Caye Caulker Soup Kitchen is currently feeding over 20% of that village's population daily. While in San Pedro, a chef and restaurant owner is operating her own feeding program for residents of her island. Two inspirational stories of community service on this special "good news" episode of Brent's Two Cents!

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Episode 9 - This Ivermectin Hoax is Dangerous for Belize / Local Artist Turned Superhero Crime Fighter, AUGUST 31, 2020

Counter messaging what actual health experts tell us is hurting efforts to contain Covid-19. The latest hoax getting traction in Belize, thanks to an evangelical pastor, is that ivermectin can cure Covid-19. Spoiler alert: it can't. So why are people spreading this fake news?

Plus some good news about how local artist Alex Sanker put down his paint brush, picked up a big stick and became a crime fighting superhero!

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Episode 10 - Rape Culture in Belize / Hurricane Nana or Hurricane Nada?, AUGUST 10, 2020

A viral video depicting a heinous sexual assault is the latest example of rape culture in Belize. But issues of slut shaming and gender based violence run much deeper than just cyber bullying in our society. Plus, some good news as Hurricane Nana winds up being more like Hurricane Nada.

If you are experiencing gender based violence and need assistance please call the Family Violence Unit 24-hour hotline:
0-800-A-WAY-OUT (292-9688)
or text/WhatsApp 672-9628

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Episode 11 - Foreign Students Get Registered to Vote in Belize! / A Belizean Rocks the Red Carpet in Venice, SEPTEMBER 14, 2020

Episode 11: More madness at Elections and Boundaries as a group of foreign medical students from India and Pakistan get added to the voters list. It may be legal, but it still stinks s of corruption. Especially considering the politician who stands to benefit is the Minister who approves student visas.

Plus, Belizean Indira Andrewin's fairytale journey from Punta Gorda to the red carpet at the Venice International Film Festival.

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Episode 12 - What Does Belize Mean to You? A Special Independence Day Episode, SEPTEMBER 21, 2020

Happy Independence Day, Belize! On this episode, listeners in Belize and abroad share their own two cents about what Belize means to them.

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Episode 13 - How The Equal Opportunities Bill Got Killed in Belize, SEPTEMBER 28, 2020

The comprehensive anti-discrimination bill took years to make it to the Prime Minister's Cabinet, and that's where it promptly died. My two cents on how a small group of fundamentalist evangelicals managed to kill The Equal Opportunities Bill with lies.

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Episode 14 - Forget Everything You Thought You Knew About Elections in Belize!, OCTOBER 5, 2020

An election call appears imminent, but how will this campaign be different from normal due to Covid-19? My two cents on how there may be a silver lining to the pandemic as far as the Belize election is concerned.

Plus, Kim Simplis Barrow bids farewell as Special Envoy for Women & Children after 12 years.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 321 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.