Next Thread
Print Thread
BHA Gives Sscholarship Recipients #545008
09/19/20 04:37 AM
09/19/20 04:37 AM
oregon, spr
Marty Offline OP

Marty  Offline OP

Every year since 2011, the Belize Hotel Association has been providing financial assistance in the form of scholarships to the children of employees working with member hotels.

The BHA chooses its scholarship recipients on the basis of merit and financial need, and this year, they were able to come up with funding to help 5 applicants from different parts of the country.

Normally, this BHA scholarship program would have been a joint venture with the Belize Tourism Board, but because of the COVID-19 pandemic and its challenges, the Hotel Association has to pursue the tradition without the BTB.

Still, they held a virtual ceremony today to introduce the 5 recipients of this year's scholarship fund, and they invited the press to attend the ceremony. 7News was there, and here are the words of encouragement that the Association's President had for the deserving scholars:

Ted Tejada - President, BHA
"On behalf of the Hotel Association, I would offer our sincere gratitude to everyone that has collaborated in making this possible. This project started in 2011, and it has been a top priority for BHA every to raise funds, every year, to raise funds. You can imagine from 2011 to today, how many students we have patronized. Today, we are giving scholarships to 5 students. Our members and boards have been generous with their time and resources to make this reality. I believe last year, we were able to raise over $11,000, in ordered to put into our scholarship fund. Through these financially challenging times, more than ever, we need to keep making the best and most rewarding investments we make, which is education for our future. As we are all aware, tourism contributes to over 46% of the GDP of this nation. And recently, 90% of the employees in the tourism sector had to be laid off. So, they've lost their financial backing. So, with that in mind, we the BHA/the Belize Hotel Association, feel very proud today that we have been able to award 5 scholarships to children of our members."

Kyanie Caal - Recipient, BHA Scholarship
"I am 12 years old. I am from the village of San Roman, Stann Creek District. I will be attending the first form at Independence High School. When it comes to family income, my father is the only financial provider and is working at the Chabel Mar Resort. Receiving the scholarship has greatly reduced the financial burden of my family."

Blythe Thompson - Recipient, BHA Scholarship
"I'm currently attending Saint Catherine's Academy, in the class, 3S1. My mother is presently employed at Atlantic Bank limited. I felt truly grateful to be able to have this opportunity."

Selene Almendarez - BHA Scholarship Recipient
"I'm currently attending Independence Junior College, 1st year, majoring in tourism, and this is actually my second time receiving a scholarship from Belize Hotel Association. They've held me out in my senior year, and they're now helping me out in my college year."

Kyarah Williams - BHA Scholarship Recipient
"I'm 18 years old. I am in my third year at the University of Belize, doing a bachelor's in social work. I was able to apply for the Belize Hotel association Scholarship through my dad, Gary Williams, who works at the Great House. I've been on the scholarship since my first year at Saint Catherine's Academy. So, this makes it 7 years now."

Raonie Guerra - BHA Scholarship Recipient
"I'm a student at Sacred Heart College, class 3E. My dad is employed at the lodge at Chaa Creek. I was really surprised when I was awarded this scholarship from the Belize Hotel Association, and this is the first time that I have received a scholarship from this association."

Ted Tejada
"BHA is buying a ticket to success; do not waste it. Make the best out of it."

The scholarship covers 1 year of tuition, fees, and books a value up to $1,500 for each recipient.

Channel 7

Re: BHA Gives Sscholarship Recipients [Re: Marty] #545074
09/23/20 05:11 AM
09/23/20 05:11 AM
oregon, spr
Marty Offline OP

Marty  Offline OP
A look at last week's Virtual Scholarship Award Ceremony!

Belize Hotel Association Awards Five Scholarships
The Belize Hotel Association conducted a virtual scholarship ceremony amid the COVID-19 pandemic. Today, the private sector tourism organization issued five scholarships—two tertiary level and three secondary level—to students from Belize, Cayo and Stann Creek districts. The educational assistance covers the duration of the course studies and is awarded to students that have maintained a minimum average of eighty or a three point zero G.P.A.; they must also be under the age of twenty-four and are children of membership employees.

Links
Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
Maruba Beach Klub and Spa is the premiere Secret Beach spa and restaurant located on the crystal blue waters of the Caribbean Sea at the center of Secret Beach, Belize
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
ReefTV
Love FM
The Reporter
PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater
San Pedro Fun Finder
Paradise Guy Event Calendar
Cayo Event Calendar

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Belize Happy Adventures
Conch Creative
Caribbean Culture & Lifestyle
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Click for Ian Anderson's Caves Branch, Welcome to a World of Adventure
Lil Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
June
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
ShoutChat Box
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (bobcat bill), 177 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics74,623
Posts488,841
Members19,889
Most Online5,530
Jun 13th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.