And while the PUP waxed on about crippling crime, in this COVID year, major crime is down by almost 30%.

And at the head that group is murder which is down 25% up to the end of September. We discussed this downturn with the commissioner yesterday:

Jules Vasquez, reporter
"We are at 74 murders as at the end of September which is significantly down from the same time last year."

Chester Williams - Commissioner of Police
"My record showing 23."

Jules Vasquez, reporter
"We are on paste. One hopes to have a year of hopefully 100 homicides or less. What is the feeling like from the department knowing all the pressures its under that it's been one of the hardest years ever and also that they maybe a change of government and you at the end of the year, you might not be the commissioner, in what from a major crime perspective could be greatest year ever."

"Are you giving me notice to demit office Mr. Vasquez?"

Jules Vasquez, reporter
"Things are always changing, you never know."

"Yes, it good to see that the major crimes are really down and it takes a lot for us to be where we are concerning the different dynamics that is occurring around us and policing in this pandemic it is really difficult and stressful, but again as much as some might want to say that it is not what the police is doing that had led to this drastic decrease. I want to refute that to say that the efforts of the police officers out there daily is the main contributing factor to the major crimes being down the way it is currently and yes the SOE do helps and again that is a part of policing strategy. It is gratifying to know that your labor is yielding good fruits. Whenever we have a murder it's a life loss and a family is left mourning in pain, children are left without a father, sometimes the breadwinner and it is really devastating. It tears families a part and so whenever we save a life it is a major achievement for us. If were down by one compare to last year, I would still consider that an achievement because one life save is a big thing. The entire enormity of the gang situation is one that we really and truly have taken a grip of and we want to ensure that we keep it under control."

Channel 7