Next Thread
Print Thread
Office of the Prime Minister Announces Cabinet Appointments #546218
11/14/20 05:13 AM
11/14/20 05:13 AM
oregon, spr
Marty Online happy OP

Marty  Online Happy OP
The Prime Minister Hon. John Briceño will advise his Excellency the Governor General Sir Colville Young to make the following appointments of Ministers of Government pursuant to section 40 of the Constitution, and the following Ministers of State pursuant to section 45 of the Constitution. The Prime Minister will also advise the Governor General to appoint the Attorney General pursuant to section 40 (2) of the Constitution.

Ambassador Stuart Leslie will serve as Cabinet Secretary and Chief of Staff.

Chief Executive Officers will be announced at a later date.

[Linked Image]

Re: Office of the Prime Minister Announces Cabinet Appointments [Re: Marty] #546227
11/14/20 06:14 AM
11/14/20 06:14 AM
oregon, spr
Marty Online happy OP

Marty  Online Happy OP

“Di Cake Cut”, But No One Wanted To Share the Slice!

So, the proverbial cake has been cut, and the slices - aka the ministries - shared up between the elected PUP representatives. Now, there was word that PM Briceno would reveal the list of ministers at 4, but it was sent 10 minutes ago at 6:03.

Our team was camped outside of the PUP Leader's office at Charter House all day, and what we can tell you is the various representatives we saw meeting with the PM.

Our team camped out in front of the Charter House met up with some of the PUP Representatives and asked them about their meeting with the new PM - and more importantly we tried to get information on who got which ministry. But, the representatives were mostly tight lipped, and told us to wait for John Briceno's announcement - which we point out, stil hasn't happened.

Jules Vasquez, reporter
"What are your conversations with the leader about today?"

Hon. Michel Chebat, Area Rep. Cayo North
"Certainly about the way moving forward. As you rightly say the people have great expectations of us and that formed a major part of our conversation today."

Jules Vasquez, reporter
"What ministry will you get if any?"

"That is a matter for the prime minister to announce and I will leave that for him."

Jules Vasquez, reporter
"Sir, there were reports that you being a senior counsel, should have been considered for the post of attorney general. Is that something that has been put forward to you?"

"Again, that is a matter for the prime minister."

Jules Vasquez, reporter
"If you are not a minister, does it undermine you politically?"

Hon. Ramon Cervantes, Area Rep. Orange Walk North
"No, it's part of the process. You know how our system is formed. That is how our system works. So when the prime minister makes the announcements then everything will come to light."

Jules Vasquez, reporter
"But Monchi if I voted for you I don't hear about system, I want you be my minister and you deliver for me."

Hon. Ramon Cervantes, Area Rep. Orange Walk North
"That's why the prime minister will make his announcements, Jules."

Hon. Kevin Bernard, Area Rep. Orange Walk East
"For me it doesn't matter which portfolio or which assignment the prime minister would have assigned me, my responsibility is to serve the residents of Orange Walk East constituency as their duly elected representative, but I am very much pleased and I can tell you that I will do all in my capacity to work for the great people of this country, for the people of Belize. I am elected as a representative to serve the people and that is what I'm going to do."

What the reps did speak about, is the work they plan on doing in their own divisions.

"One of our priorities is getting the water system into Bullet Tree. Our people there have been suffering for too long without water and that is a priority for us at this time."

Hon. Ramiro Ramirez
"Playing with the people giving some papers that was not valid. Why he played with my people on that way, so me that is embarrass that they did."

Reporter
"Did you checked and verify that it wasn't valid?"

Hon. Ramiro Ramirez
"Yes, I have a couple papers that was not even signed and they lied to the people, not even a stamp from lands department or a signature of the commissioner and he went and give it to the people and that is not correct. With the People's United Party we are going to do the correct paper work and we don't have to wait until last minute to do things. The job starts when we won on the 11th."

Hon. Kevin Bernard, Area Rep. Orange Walk East
"And I know we have to find a lot of help for Orange Walk East. Our infrastructure in the rural communities is very much paramount importance, it was never touched, it was never done. The area representative that was there neglected and abandoned the Orange Walk East constituency, but since Wednesday November 11th, the people of Orange Walk East elected a leader that will work for them, one that will have their interest at heart and that's my commitment to the people of this constituency."

Hon. Oscar Requena, Area Rep. Toledo West
"Certainly there is a lot of work that needs to be done in my division. Sadly, the Toledo West constituency and in fact the entire Toledo District has been abandoned by the UDP. We suffered for 12 long years, so there is a lot of work that we need to do in our constituency and I can say to you that the work has began, we will work hard to make sure we deliver to our people."

Hon. Henry Usher, Area Rep. Fort George
"In terms of our plans for Fort George we have develop a strong relationship with the people in there and we are going to deliver on what we say we are going to do in terms of making sure that we continue to build that community in Fort George, making sure that all of the planbelize initiatives that the party has put forward trickles down to Fort George in terms of the land, housing, education, health, NHI initiative - those are all areas that we will be fighting for to make sure that the people of Fort George benefit."

Dr Louis Zabaneh did indicate, though, that he will be in the Ministry of Education with Francis Fonseca.

And, after all those meetings at the Party Leader's political office, as we told you the official list was sent out at 6:03 pm - well after the promised time. They will reportedly be sworn in on Monday morning - not at the Belize House in Belmopan, but at the Toucan Room at the Biltmore.

Channel 7

Re: Office of the Prime Minister Announces Cabinet Appointments [Re: Marty] #546296
11/17/20 06:16 AM
11/17/20 06:16 AM
oregon, spr
Marty Online happy OP

Marty  Online Happy OP

Meet Your Ministers

On Friday night, we told you who was who in the new Briceno cabinet - in terms of portfolio assignments.

Well, this morning at the Biltmore Plaza Hotel - the bible got more hands on it than at a Sunday sermon, as 17 Ministers, 7 ministers of state and the Attorney General were sworn in by the Governor-General.

It wasn't intended as a press event per se, and that's why it was carried live on the Government's Press Office's Facebook page, but the media still crashed the swearing in session to talk to the new ministers, these men and women who will dominate the national discourse and national life for the next five years.

Here's what a few of them had to say about what they plan to do:

Hon. Cordel Hyde - DPM/Minister of Natural Resources
"It's been a long, long journey. 13 years is a mighty long time. When we first started out in opposition, you're hopeful. You have no idea how long it will be, and if anyone would have said that it would take 13, I'd have to think long and hard. But, we're here, through the grace of God, and through the love and support of the people of Lake Independence."

"They stand strong with me through rough, rough times, through times that would have broken anybody else."

"Our focus will be on people who don't have any land, to ensure that they get a piece of this jewel because the reality is that land is a finite resource. There's only so much land, and after the scavenging and skullduggery of the last 13 years, we have no idea what's there."

Hon. Kevin Bernard - Minister of Youths, Sports & E-Governance
"We cannot hear that our youths are our future, but yet, we don't do anything to uplift our young people, to put in the programs and policies that will ensure that we get them out of crime, but more into positive activities. Our sporting areas need to be enhanced. We need to ensure that it is involved in the school curriculum. So, we will have to work closely with the Ministry of Education as well."

Reporter
"Your predecessor, he was - unfortunately, people were very unkind to him, being that his profession was not related to health. And certainly, we know you as a gentleman of the law. Going into this, having to lead a ministry that is science-based, how are you going to handle that?"

Hon. Michel Chebat - Ministry of Health & Wellness
"Well, we have formed a team of medical advisors, who will be guiding us every step of the way. We understand that our discipline is in law, but that does not handicap us in any way. As a matter of fact, I think it puts us in a good position. I think it will bring the discipline that the ministry needs, in terms of operation, in terms of administration, and so that is exactly what we intend to be. And, we know that with the help of the advisors we've put together, we'll be able to marshal an effective and efficient Ministry of Health."

Reporter
"You're [thd tourism minister, but would you really hope that down the road, that the PUP puts in a strategy that will see a new economy arise out of other different industries growing up?"

Hon. Anthony Mahler - Minister of Tourism & Diaspora Relations
"I totally believe in diversification. You can't put your eggs in one basket. We don't want to see tourism go down. We want to see tourism continue to rise, but we want the other important industries to rise as well."

Hon. Julius Espat - Minister of Infrastructure Dev. & Housing
"The report that we got is [that] the Ministry has not functioned for 12 years. And so looking at the bright side, it gives us an opportunity to make sure that it works. It is in line with my career as a professional, so, it will be a little bit easier to chart it forward. I plan to sit with all the organization, the architect association, the engineers association, the contractors association, the planner - to get an idea from them what the vision. We have a mandate from the prime minister to start building houses, and so that will be one of the first things we need to look at."

Hon. Orlando Habet - Minister of Sustainable Development, Climate Change & Disaster Risk Management
"How can we increase the funding available for disaster management? Most of the time, funding is assigned based on the result of the disaster, after the hurricane has passed. But, we need to change that way of doing things. We need to have a fund specifically for that, and it is not spent in one year, then it can flow over into the next year so that you can increase that funding. And I believe that this funding if the prime minister can agree, is something that can be built upon. And so, you have a sort of revolving fund within that ministry."

Hon. Andre Perez - Minister of the Blue Economy & Civil Aviation
"The blue economy, of course, is all exciting. It entails everything that is in the marine reserve. Everything that pertains to fisheries - fisheries is just 1 part of it. We're talking about harnessing solar energy. We're talking about putting it together, and we're taking it to another level to find that equilibrium between protecting our environment, but at the same time, growing our economy, and growing sustainably as well."

Hon. Kareem Musa - Minister of Home Affairs & New Growth Industries
"I have been appointed by the Prime Minister as the minister of police. That includes not just the police department. It covers also forensics. It's covers prisons and the prison system. It covers narcotics control. It covers as well - I believe firearms, of course, falling under the police. And so, the ministry of national security has been divided, so to speak. So we now have the Honorable Florencio Marin and the Honorable Oscar Mira serving as ministers in the ministry responsible for the defence of our country. In addition to the minister of police, minister of home affairs, I am also the minister of new growth industries and you may be asking yourself what is new growth industries. Well, quite frankly as you know a growth industry is a developing industry that has seen expansion that has seen growth. In the past we had like the shrimp farms, in the country we had fish farming Tilapia farming - all of these industries are growth industries and in the great first world countries we see where there is more exploration of the use of hemp, the use of marijuana - these are new growth industries in those countries and we need to see where we stand in this world. Yes it might be a very controversial issue, but we have time now to set up the proper structure so that we can formalize."

Hon. Henry Charles Usher - Minister of Public Service, Constitutional & Political Reform
"It is a very broad-based portfolio; the ministry of the public service is an important one. We all know that reform is needed throughout the public service and really if the government or the party wants to get any of our planbelize agenda items done we need to have reform. I'm happy that the prime minister has the faith in me to have given me this portfolio including the constitutional and political reform portfolios, because it's something I believe in, it's something that the people have been talking about asking for for a number of years and we need to make sure that we put in place the right reforms, the right measures so that our system works on behalf of the people."

Reporter
"When does day 1 begin for you?"

Hon. Rodwell Ferguson - Minister of Public Utilities & Logistics
"I believe day 1 begins tomorrow, because today is almost completed and I think at some point in time we will have cabinet. I haven't gotten the schedule yet, but sometime today. And so tomorrow I will have to get into the ministry to understand what it is all about. But first of all I would like to thank our new prime minister for having the confidence to place such a huge ministry under my control. I'll do my best to make sure that I do it to the best of my ability. I don't want to let down my prime minister. I want him to shine, I want him to look good. So tomorrow when I take over I will know exactly what the ministry entails. We have 3 major utilities company in Belize, we have BEL, BTL and BWS, so I'm totally responsible to make sure that those companies operate, make sure they strive, make sure the Belizean people benefit while they are here in Belize operating."

Hon. Ramon "Monchi" Cervantez - Minister of State, Foreign Affairs, Foreign Trade & Immigration "It is a very substantial ministry portfolio and I am happy to be working along with Prime Minister Briceno's cabinet and taking our country forward. It is a great opportunity to put my skills and what I have learned my knowledge, my education, my experiences that I have acquired during this lifetime to good use to move this country forward for the interest of all."

Channel 7

Links
Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
Maruba Beach Klub and Spa is the premiere Secret Beach spa and restaurant located on the crystal blue waters of the Caribbean Sea at the center of Secret Beach, Belize
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
ReefTV
Love FM
The Reporter
PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater
San Pedro Fun Finder
Paradise Guy Event Calendar
Cayo Event Calendar

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Belize Happy Adventures
Conch Creative
Caribbean Culture & Lifestyle
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Click for Ian Anderson's Caves Branch, Welcome to a World of Adventure
Lil Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
ShoutChat Box
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Marty), 177 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics72,838
Posts484,768
Members19,740
Most Online2,982
Jan 29th, 2019

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.