Next Thread
Print Thread
Prime Minister Briceño, Chief of Staff Test Positive for COVID-19 #546437
11/24/20 05:09 AM
11/24/20 05:09 AM
oregon, spr
Marty Offline OP

Marty  Offline OP
The Office of the Prime Minister hereby informs that the Prime Minister Hon. John Briceño was swabbed for COVID-19 and has tested positive.

Prime Minister Briceño will remain in isolation for the next two weeks, after which he will be re-tested.

The public is encouraged to continue to wear masks, practice social distancing, and continue to follow all guidelines of the Ministry of Health.

=================

PM Briceno & Cab. Sec. Positive For COVID 19 - Concerns About Wider Cabinet

Only 11 days in office, Belize's new Prime Minister has tested positive for COVID 19.

A terse press release says that Prime Minister Briceño will remain in isolation for the next two weeks, after which he will be re-tested. We are told that Briceno is not presently showing symptoms.

More consequentially, reliable reports say that at least two ministers of state have tested positive, while other ministers are awaiting results. Cabinet Secretary Stuart Leslie, who is the closest advisor to Briceno has also tested positive. He reportedly has minor symptoms and is in self isolation.

You may recall also that Minister of state Mike Espat tested positive for COVID right after the elections - and is now said to be recovering.

But, the infection circle can be very wide; as we have witnessed in the wake of the PUP's landslide victory last week - there has been a lot of hugging and handshakes in congratulation. Briceno himself has also been busy - photos sent out last week Friday show him visiting flood areas - where social distance was not practiced.

This week going to be a critical time for his administration - almost two weeks in office - no CEO's named and no press conference held - and the public expecting answers. Those CEO's were expected to be named tomorrow after a Cabinet meeting. We do not know if that will now be held virtually.

And while the nation's first hope is for the 60 year old Briceno to emerge unscathed - and even the leader of the opposition sent him a wish on Facebook saying that - assuming a problem free recovery - it is left to be seen if the experience and the wider footprint of infection in his Cabinet - will shape his public policy approach towards COVID. Before the election - when challenged on his positive that COVID positive persons should go vote - he said we have to learn to live with it:

Posted (November 10, 2020)
Reporter
"But don't you feel that perhaps contradicting all these measures is opening a flood gate that we really cannot afford right now?"

John Briceno, PUP Leader
"First of all what we are doing is not working, because right now Covid19 is completely out of control. The government has been unable to put some control into it, but you can't stay at home. I was the first one to say it at the NOC. We have to learn to live with Covid. So don't tell me that I am contradicting. I'm giving you a plan as to how we are going to deal with Covid effectively and efficiently and at the same time for us to be able to work, or lese we are going to starve."

We'll keep following PM Briceno's progress very closely.

Channel 7

=================

PM Briceño and his Chief of Staff Test Positive for COVID-19

The coronavirus has reached the top levels of government. The Office of the Prime Minister has confirmed that PM John Briceño has tested positive for COVID-19. Briceño was swabbed today in Belize City and the results came back positive; he is asymptomatic. Since taking office, the PM has been moving around establishing his government and in the past few days, he visited flooded areas in the northern parts of the country. The PM will be spending two weeks in isolation and since work continues, Tuesday’s cabinet meeting will be held virtually.

His Chief of Staff and Cabinet Secretary, Stuart Leslie, has also tested positive and is showing minor symptoms. Tests results have come back negative for Briceño’s family. Since the November eleventh elections, Jorge “Melin” Espat from Cayo West and Mike Espat from Toledo East, have also tested positive. Those persons, including cabinet ministers, who have been in close contact with the PM, will also be swabbed.

Channel 5

Re: Prime Minister Briceño, Chief of Staff Test Positive for COVID-19 [Re: Marty] #546610
12/01/20 12:20 PM
12/01/20 12:20 PM
oregon, spr
Marty Offline OP

Marty  Offline OP
Prime Minister John Briceño Remains in Self-Isolation

Prime Minister John Briceño remains in self-isolation at his Orange Walk home tonight. PM Briceño tested positive for COVID-19 on November twenty-third and has since been working from home. Over the weekend, Briceño released a three-minute video statement in which he provides an update on his condition and asked that the public adhere to the COVID-19 regulations as a means of fighting the battle with the deadly disease.

Prime Minister John Briceño

“Now I know these measures are not easy especially at Christmas time but we all need to do our part if we are to win this battle with this pandemic. Like the rest of the world we too are hoping that a vaccine. I have been in isolation for days now. It is not easy to be separated from my family. This s just one of the consequence of catching the virus but I am lucky. See, I am asymptomatic but I have friends and colleagues who are not. I know of people who have suffered greatly and I know people who have died. We have to take this seriously but we can also learn lessons. Those who exercise regularly and try to eat healthy fear better than those who don’t. Let us try to live healthier lifestyles and let us all care for each other. I continue to work from my bathroom where my isolation continue until the doctor say include working from home whenever possible and keeping up with the three important practices of wearing a facemask in public, frequent hand washing and six feet physical distancing. Together we can win this war against COVID-19. I know we can and we will.”

Channel 5

Re: Prime Minister Briceño, Chief of Staff Test Positive for COVID-19 [Re: Marty] #546752
12/08/20 05:49 AM
12/08/20 05:49 AM
oregon, spr
Marty Offline OP

Marty  Offline OP
PM Cleared to Return To Work

As has been extensively reported the Prime Minister himself has tested positive. He spent two weeks in quarantine at home - and returned to work today - even though his last PCR test was still positive for COVID. He explained why today:

Hon. John Briceno, Prime Minister

“Two weeks ago as you all know I was found to be positive with COVID-19. It is just like almost an impulse I decided to go and check because I had no symptoms. I was found that I was positive and then I was in self quarantine for two weeks. I stayed in my bedroom and followed all the strict protocols. I must tell you that my family that I had to follow the protocols. On Friday last a doctor from the Ministry of Health went to do two things, give me the PCR test and also to clinically examine me. As I said I had no symptoms. I had no fever, no headache, no pains, no diarrhea, nothing. No loss of smell or taste. So she then took the PCR test and examined me. She then declared me clinically recovered, that I could have moved around from then but my wife insisted that you are going to do your fourteen days. I stayed until Sunday so today is the first time that I am really out and I am here back to work. I must tell you that my PCR came back and it is still positive. But when I talk to the doctors and as we all know the CDC and all in Europe they are saying once you pass that period where you are infectious, once you pass tht period you can continue with your life. Initially when they did not know a lot of people were kept back a whole month, two months, three months because they still find the virus in your system. The PCR will find it but if I were to go and take a rapid test quite likely it is going to come out negative. But I am free to move around, I will not get anybody sick. That is why I am out working but it is also important wear your mask at all times. You never know who will have it. Ironically it seems that I did not get the virus from the campaign. I thought if it was going to happen it was going to happen on election night. But it seems that I got it right here from this office.”

Channel 7

Links
Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
Maruba Beach Klub and Spa is the premiere Secret Beach spa and restaurant located on the crystal blue waters of the Caribbean Sea at the center of Secret Beach, Belize
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
ReefTV
Love FM
The Reporter
PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
To Get Your Questions Answered

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
San Pedro Fun Finder
Cayo Event Calendar

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Belize Happy Adventures
Conch Creative
Caribbean Culture & Lifestyle
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Click for Ian Anderson's Caves Branch, Welcome to a World of Adventure
Lil Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
ShoutChat Box
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 72 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics75,840
Posts492,028
Members20,011
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.