Fisherfolk and Vessel Licensing period 2021 starting January 4th 2021!
Application forms can be accessed at our website at:https://fisheries.gov.bz/services/licenses/
The Belize Fisheries Department informs the public of its new licensing procedures for fisherfolk and fishing vessels considering the COVID-19 pandemic. Effective January 4, 2021, fishers are asked to adhere to the following steps:
1. Fishers should access the fisherfolk and/or vessel application form online at fisheries.gov.bz or on the Fisheries Department’s Facebook page “Fisheries Department – Belize”. Fishers should send their completed application form(s) along with a copy of their most recent license (fisher folk and/or vessel) via email to [email protected]
for the renewal of their fisher folk and/or vessel license. For renewal of vessel license a copy of valid Seaworthy Certificate issued by the Belize Port Authority must also be submitted.
*Note: All New Entrant applications (first time or those with licenses older than 2016) will be vetted in early February. A grace period for renewals will be in place until January 31st, 2021.
2. The Fisheries Department will review the fishers’ application and approve or indicate if any additional documentation is required.
3. Upon approval by the Fisheries Department, an electronic slip will be sent to the fishers and fishers can then make payment at Atlantic Bank (bank account number 100285451). The slip will indicate the type of payment i.e. “Payment for Fisherfolk License – Renewal”.
4. Fishers should send confirmation of payment via email address: [email protected]
Once received, the Fisheries Department will indicate a date and time when the license can be picked up (within 14 days of receiving confirmation of payment).
5. Fishers may pick up their license along with the receipt and, where applicable, catch logbook at the below stated offices. Fishers will need to present an identification card (ID) when picking up their license and ensure that the fisherfolk license and information are in order. An authorization letter (certified by a Justice of the Peace) is required if someone other than the license holder is picking up the license.
License Pick Up:
i. Fishers from Corozal, Orange Walk, Belize and Cayo Districts and from the Cayes should pick up their licenses at the Fisheries Department main office in Belize City.
ii. Fishers from Dangriga, Hopkins, Placencia and nearby communities should pick up their license at the Fisheries Department Dangriga office.
iii. Fishers from Punta Gorda and nearby communities should pick up their license at the Fisheries Department Punta Gorda office.
i. No permits will be issued to minors.
ii. Commercial Fishing Vessel owners are hereby reminded that vessels must comply with the requirements under the VESSEL COLOR CODING SCHEME and the CATCH DATA SUBMISSION requirements under the Managed Access program.
For licensing inquiries please contact:
• Fisheries Department Main Office - Belize City:
Call 224-4552; 223-2187; 203-2623
• Fisheries Department Punta Gorda Office:
• Licensing Inquiries:
Email: [email protected]
Note: Opening Hours for the licensing section are from 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. from Monday to Friday. No Walk-Ins - By Appointment Only.
The Fisheries Department thanks the public for its understanding and cooperation and encourages everyone to comply with the established COVID 19 protocols by the Ministry of Health.