Next Thread
Print Thread
Espat Says MOF Building Most Expensive Ever #547336
01/07/21 06:05 AM
01/07/21 06:05 AM
oregon, spr
Marty Offline OP

Marty  Offline OP

And back now to Minister of Infrastructure Julius Espat. In his one hour press conference held via zoom today, he discussed Belize Infrastructure Limited, or BIL. They are overseeing he construction of the new Ministry of Finance Building on Lake I Boulevard and the Minister said it's the most expensive building per square foot that he's ever seen:

Hon. Julius Espat
"Remember before the general election I spoke about the foreign affairs building costing approximately $600 per square foot. Well, we just got information that the ministry of finance building that is on the Lake Independence Boulevard in Belize City is approximately $28 million needs to be spent for it to be completed. It is running approximately $1,300 per square foot involving the same contractors. It will take some time but we will have to find out why is it that buildings were awarded to specific contractors are ending up costing us about 4-5 times the normal value of construction in Belize. As I have indicated in the past, the highest I can come up with was between $250-$300 per square foot in Belize in the most expensive zones which are Placencia and San Pedro. I was alarmed at the time with $600 per square foot. I was blown out of my chair the other day when the ministry of finance sent me some of the contracts for $28 million dollars and averaging $1,300 per square foot. The worst part of it is that it was difficult to determine the final cost because the way the contracts were set up, it was done by pieces. One contract was for $15 million and then they submitted another contract for $5 million and $3 million until you had to physically - and I don't even know if we have gotten to the bottom of all the contracts. At this point in time with the tallying that we have done, It's at $28 million dollars and the building is still not completed. We don't even know what was the proposed used of the building. You are caught up in a situation where you have contracts that are binding and therefore even though it is perceived to be corrupt and extravagant, at the end of the day it is a legal contract. The government of Belize will have to determine what is in their benefit, to stop the project and go through litigation. Comparative to that, is it worth the while finishing it and start having your ministries use it instead of paying rental which right now I think the ministry of finance is paying about $25,000 a month rental out there."

Channel 7

Re: Espat Says MOF Building Most Expensive Ever [Re: Marty] #547368
01/08/21 06:14 AM
01/08/21 06:14 AM
oregon, spr
Marty Offline OP

Marty  Offline OP

New Treasury Building, How Much will It Really Cost?

On Wednesday, Minister of Infrastructure Development and Housing Julius Espat detailed the allegations of misuse of resources by former Minister Rene Montero. He also shed light on the ongoing review of high-cost public buildings initiated under the previous administration.  Viewers will recall that the Belize Infrastructure Limited, B.I.L., was the special purpose vehicle under the previous administration that oversaw the construction of several public buildings, including the Belize City Center and the new treasury building that remains under construction on Lake Independence Boulevard.  That building is nearing completion, and with twenty-eight million Belize dollars already invested in it, it is still short of several million dollars.  It is also the most expensive piece of real estate in the country, with one square foot of space costing roughly one thousand, three hundred dollars.  According to Minister Espat, it is difficult to calculate the building’s actual cost at this juncture because contracts for its completion have been awarded in phases.

Julius Espat, Minister of Infrastructure Development

“There’s another responsibility that we were given after the general election, under this ministry and that is BIL and that one can become even more alarming.  I’ll give you an example.  Remember before the general elections I spoke about the Foreign Affairs Building costing approximately six hundred dollars per square foot.  Well we just got information that the Ministry of Finance Building that is on the Lake Independence Boulevard in Belize City is approximately twenty-eight million dollars needs to be spent for it to be completed and it is running approximately one thousand, three hundred dollars per square foot, involving the same contractors.  And so it will take some time but we will have to find out why is it that buildings that were awarded to specific contractors are ending up costing us about four or five times the normal value of construction in Belize.  As I have indicated in the past, the highest I could come up with was between two-fifty to three hundred dollars in Belize in the most expensive zone which are Placencia and San Pedro and I was alarmed at the time with six hundred dollars a square foot.  Well I was blown out of my chair the other when the Ministry of Finance sent me some of the contracts.  Twenty-eight million dollars, averaging one thousand, three hundred dollars per square foot and the worst part of it is that it is difficult to determine the final cost because the way the contracts were set up, it was done by pieces.  One contract was for fifteen million then they submitted another contract for five [million], another one for three until you had to physically, and I dont even know if we have gotten to the bottom of all the contracts, but at this point in time with the tallying that we are doing, its at twenty-eight million dollars and the building is still not completed.”

Channel 5

Links
Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
Maruba Beach Klub and Spa is the premiere Secret Beach spa and restaurant located on the crystal blue waters of the Caribbean Sea at the center of Secret Beach, Belize
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
ReefTV
Love FM
The Reporter
PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
To Get Your Questions Answered

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
San Pedro Fun Finder
Cayo Event Calendar

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Belize Happy Adventures
Conch Creative
Caribbean Culture & Lifestyle
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Click for Ian Anderson's Caves Branch, Welcome to a World of Adventure
Lil Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
November
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
ShoutChat Box
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 78 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics75,812
Posts491,960
Members20,010
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.