All eyes are on the North, not just for the major political changes but also for temperature drops. Tourism players are eyeing travel trends of Americans as the frigid winter weather sets in. Belize is one of many countries struggling to revive its tourism industry amidst the COVID-19 pandemic. The reopening of the sector in the last quarter of 2020 allowed a few thousand tourists to visit the country, but it isn't enough for the industry's revival. President of the Belize Hotel Association Ted Tejada says there is hope that more tourists will flock to Belize for warmer days with the cold weather battering the U.S.

Ted Tejada, President, Belize Hotels Association

"We see when we opened the airport in October, there were about three thousand tourists that came to the country of Belize. In November we did see that number doubles, it went to about seven thousand. December, we haven't received the numbers but I heard there was a buzz in San Pedro, there was a buzz in Placencia, Caye Caulker. We saw a lot of more tourists coming. January, there is a slow down but we hear that there have been blizzards in the United States. I spoke to someone in Canada that they had nine kilometres winds at negative zero degree. This is the time when the north American travellers are thinking "I've got to get out of here, it is too cold". I mean their skin peels in three minutes. They are looking to go somewhere where they don't have to be having a jacket. So this is the perfect time for them to be travelling to Belize."

Hipolito Novelo

"I am sure people in your position are hopeful that get the vaccines as soon as possible?"

Ted Tejada

"That is correct that is another area that the Belize Hotel Association is going to explore with its members. How do we come as an association, as stakeholders and contribute a little bit out of every room that we get towards a vaccine.� I think if all Belizeans are able to get vaccinated then we can open the market and invite anyone."

Channel 5