Next Thread
Print Thread
Lands Department Relents From Hardline on Payments #547661
01/22/21 05:06 AM
01/22/21 05:06 AM
oregon, spr
Marty Offline OP

Marty  Offline OP
A case that Elrington is intimately acquainted with is the statutory instrument passed at the lands department. The statutory instrument entitled National Lands (Mode of Payment) Regulations, 2020, says quote, "(1) Any payment towards the purchase of national land or payment of rent for a lease of national land shall be made to the cashier in the ministry responsible for lands."

It effectively put a stop to the payment avenue of making a deposit into the Ministry's bank account.

Earlier this month, Elrington sent pre litigation notices on behalf of 113 clients to the Ministry of Natural Resources warning them that they plan to take up legal action because they are being denied the right to pay.

He says that he has another 300 clients who have also signed up with him for the same reason. And today, he announced that the Ministry has relented from its hard-line:

Erson "OJ" Elrington
"I received a letter from the lands department in which they confirmed receipt of those letters on the 11th and that they have agreed to avoid litigation, that my clients can now proceed to the lands department and make the payments on those accounts and so the accounts have effectively been opened according to this piece of paper and we have yet to test it because we just received it, I have not had the opportunity to relay this news to my clients in fact we will use this opportunity maybe for those who might be listening that now that they can do and attempt to make their payments to the lands department, that will be the first 111 but let me say this and some of my clients might not know which 111 because I will tell you while we sent in 111 letters on the 11th of January, since that time we have an additional 300 plus persons who have approached us to represent them to ensure that they are able to pay for their land and so, we will have to reach out and tell them individually the 111 persons who they government so far has made the decision they not wish to enter into litigation."

Channel 7

Re: Lands Department Relents From Hardline on Payments [Re: Marty] #547665
01/22/21 05:13 AM
01/22/21 05:13 AM
oregon, spr
Marty Offline OP

Marty  Offline OP
U.D.P. Assists First Time Land Owners to Make Payments

After the People’s United Party won the November general elections, the Lands Department locked down as rumors of U.D.P. cronies taking documents from the office in Belmopan surfaced. It was reported before elections that U.D.P. ministers were issuing out parcels of land to voters. The question was if the issuance was done following the law. Minister of Natural Resources Cordel Hyde had the system shutdown, preventing anyone from making payments to their recently received lands. This matter was brought up at the House’s Sitting, and Hyde gave his assurance that the matter will be fixed to allow first-time landowners to make payments. But it seems that the matter still hasn’t been fixed because U.D.P. attorney Orson “OJ” Elrington says that the U.D.P. is working with hundreds of persons who want to take court actions against the government for not allowing them to make payments.

Orson “OJ” Elrington, Attorney, U.D.P.

“My law firm sent one hundred and fourteen letters to the Lands Department advising that we represented one hundred and fourteen individuals and those persons were interested in making their purchases as first time land owners and their refusal to accept payments was a breach of the agreement which the government had entered into with these persons. I am happy to announce that a few minutes ago before come to this press conference I received a letter from the Lands Department in which they confirmed the receipt of those letters and the letter was dated on the seventh day of January but I believed the on the eleventh and that they have agreed to avoid litigation that my clients to the Lands Department and make the payments on those accounts. While we sent in one hundred and eleven letters, since that time we have an additional three hundred plus persons who have approach to represent them to ensure that they are able to pay for their land. We will have to reach and tell individually one hundred and eleven persons who the government so far has made the decision that they do not wish to enter into litigation and I think rightfully so. We would not want to waste any government resources because it was an absolute lose, lose case for them.”

Channel 5

Links
Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
Maruba Beach Klub and Spa is the premiere Secret Beach spa and restaurant located on the crystal blue waters of the Caribbean Sea at the center of Secret Beach, Belize
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
ReefTV
Love FM
The Reporter
PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater
San Pedro Fun Finder
Paradise Guy Event Calendar
Cayo Event Calendar

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Belize Happy Adventures
Conch Creative
Caribbean Culture & Lifestyle
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Click for Ian Anderson's Caves Branch, Welcome to a World of Adventure
Lil Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
March
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
ShoutChat Box
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 299 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics73,677
Posts486,542
Members19,812
Most Online4,377
Dec 15th, 2020

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.