Next Thread
Print Thread
Analysis of the State of the Nation’s Economy #548119
02/12/21 05:16 AM
02/12/21 05:16 AM
oregon, spr
Marty Offline OP

Marty  Offline OP
As the Government of Belize continues its consultations with social partners in the public and private sector, the Ministry of Finance has released the findings of a preliminary analysis into the state of the nation’s economy to date.

Please note below:

• Average income per person (real GDP per capita) has fallen steadily since 2008, from $7,412 in 2008 to $7,040 by 2019, and then plummeting to $5,843 in 2020.

• The dramatic fall in average income per person to $5,843 in 2020 has reduced our income levels to as low as it has been way back in 1992, over 28 years ago.

• Unemployment has almost tripled in 2020, from 10.4% to almost 30%.

• With underemployment also increasing from 22.7% to 38%, almost 68% of the labour force is left looking for work.

• Belize’s unemployment rate is more than triple the average unemployment rate throughout the Caribbean and more than quadruple that of Central America.

• Government revenues fell by almost 30% or over $300million in 2020.

• 36 cents out of every dollar spent on government expenditures is being borrowed to make payments.

• 83 cents out of every dollar of government revenues is being spent on wages, salaries and pensions.

• Wages and salaries have almost tripled - from $234million in 2008 to $684million in just 12 years.

• Heightened spending coupled with revenue shortfalls led to financing requirements of over half a billion dollars in 2020.

• It took four successive administrations from independence to 1998 for the government to accumulate $700million of debt while it took the last government one year to rack up financing requirements of over $500million in 2020.

• Since 2008, government debt has increased by almost $2billion with domestic debt more than tripling from $333million to $1.3billion and external debt other than the superbond more than doubling from $830million to $1.77billion.

• At 134.1%, Belize now has the highest debt-to-GDP ratio in the entire Caribbean and Central American region.

Re: Analysis of the State of the Nation’s Economy [Re: Marty] #548146
02/13/21 05:54 AM
02/13/21 05:54 AM
oregon, spr
Marty Offline OP

Marty  Offline OP

GOB Has Their Figures Wrong

You'll remember the Government press release from last night called the "Analysis of the State of the Nation's Economy".

In that release, the government asserted that public Wages and salaries have almost tripled from 234 million dollars in 2008 to 684 million dollars in just 12 years. GOB also said that they spend 83 cents out of every dollar made in revenues on wages, salaries, and pensions. So, we asked the PSU Vice-President about those figures.

He said that from his own studies of the budget estimates for last year, their figures are off:

Dean Flowers - Vice-President, PSU
"I don't know who put together the numbers and the presentation for the Government. But, I can tell you that I'm guided by the budget estimates, and the budget estimates certainly are not telling me that wages and salaries are at 684 million dollars. My numbers - not my numbers, the government numbers in the budget estimates for salaries alone is 453 million dollars. That's a huge difference when you look at 684 million If you were to dump the pension estimates and the ex rata payments in there, that's another 95 million dollars. So, that would take you up to 548 million dollars. Again, that 548 million dollars are almost 140 million dollars different than what the government reported yesterday. It's not my number. It's the Ministry of Finance's numbers in the budget estimates. The wage bill for 20/21 is showing 548 million."

On the assertion that 83 cents out of every dollar are going to wages, salaries, and pensions, he says that from his review of the numbers, the government actually spent 65 cents. He did acknowledge that this is a high figure.

Channel 7

Links
Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
Maruba Beach Klub and Spa is the premiere Secret Beach spa and restaurant located on the crystal blue waters of the Caribbean Sea at the center of Secret Beach, Belize
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
ReefTV
Love FM
The Reporter
PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater
San Pedro Fun Finder
Paradise Guy Event Calendar
Cayo Event Calendar

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Belize Happy Adventures
Conch Creative
Caribbean Culture & Lifestyle
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Click for Ian Anderson's Caves Branch, Welcome to a World of Adventure
Lil Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
March
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
ShoutChat Box
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (bobcat bill), 178 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics73,713
Posts486,617
Members19,816
Most Online4,377
Dec 15th, 2020

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.