Last night, we showed you a small portion of an extended interview which Auditor General Dorothy Bradley granted to the press. She's one of those officials who rarely comments publicly, but she did so in response to a call from the unions that she should be sent home for failing to hold the elected officials accountable for their spending of public finances.

We've shown you her strongly-worded press release in response to the unions, but yesterday, she was asked specifically about it. She told the media that she has been prepared to turn the other cheek in relation to personal attacks against her. She said, however, that she couldn't ignore this one because the unions tried to create doubt in her office. Here's how she explained it:

Dorothy Bradley - Auditor General
"Any attack - and I view it as an attack - but any attack on Dorothy Bradley would be okay. It is something that maybe I would ignore, but when you talk about the Office of the Auditor-General, it is a direct attack and one that must be addressed. So yesterday, yes, I was kinda really shocked when I heard that part because it was clipped and sent to me. And when I reviewed what was said, I realized that from the onset, this had to be from an ongoing, an old issue that we've had in the office over a period of time. It isn't the first time, as I've said in the release, that they've made this attack and they have also demanded, really demanded that I be fired. The constitution makes provisions for that, as I have stated, so for me, that is not a concern. If you question the work I do, then you have to justify and explain what is it you want to know? And then come to me and let us discuss. It never happened. As a matter of fact, as late as last week Wednesday, I was in a meeting with the APSSM and we never, at least the president never made any revelations as to this kind of attack against any public officer for that matter. So, where it is coming from, clearly there has been an old issue, one that has not been addressed to their satisfaction and it would appear that their satisfaction would mean that my not being in this office, but that is not their call."

Reporter
"Why is the call for your being fired baseless in regards to your contract, as they are saying?"

Dorothy Bradley
"It has to be baseless for obvious reasons. I am not on a contract, I am a public officer. Secondly, the constitution makes provisions and protects me in that office from people of this very nature. Just imagine doing audits and/or functioning in that office and because you are not popular, which at this point I would like to say to you that I did not run for a popularity contest. I know exactly what it is that I undertook and I fully intend to continue and to do what I have to do."

The Auditor-General thinks the PSU has chosen to target her because of personal grievances they have against her, which remain unresolved. She asserts that the union has had to represent her staff in a dispute that they have with her as their head of department. But, she adds that prominent members of the PSU have a personal dislike for her because she took them before the Public Service Commission to be disciplined for professional misconduct. And, she is pointing fingers at the President of the Public Service Union, Gerald Henry Jr. In her interview yesterday, she accused Henry of threatening her life at the end of one of these disciplinary hearings.

It's not the kind of allegation we broadcast lightly, but the person making it is someone whose credibility has to be unimpeachable in order to serve as Belize's Auditor General. Here is her account of the interaction between her and the PSU President who was one of 7 public officers she had to take action against:

Reporter
"Whether, at the Commission level, they found to be guilty of any misconduct, or any such thing that they were accused of."

Dorothy Bradley - Auditor General
"Yes, they were reprimanded. I took them-."

Reporter
"All 7 people or-."

Dorothy Bradley
"No, no, the 7 are individual. They've had issues individually, separate and distinct, but at some point, were taken to the Commission. And these people, they simply formed an alliance, I would say, to accomplish one thing. It's not that they're in love with each other. It's just that they've formed."

Reporter
"What I was saying is yes, individually but, they were found -."

Dorothy Bradley
"In different instances, yes."

Reporter
"Including the PSU President."

Dorothy Bradley
"Well, the PSU President, in particular, when I took him there, I can recall I just got enough because he was very disrespectful. And upon leaving that room that day, he said that he wanted to say something to me. And I said that he was in no position to say anything to me at that point. When I got up, he said that he just wanted me to know that they were planning to pay someone to hurt me. My response then, I asked the recording secretary, 'Are you getting all this?' And then, my response was 'If it means dying to do the right thing, I'm prepared to do that.' And I walked out of the room, and I left."

Reporter
"You filed a police report?"

Dorothy Bradley
"I filed a police report. I have a copy of the actual hearing."

We note that the Auditor General also made this very same allegation against Henry in her press release from yesterday.

This morning, we asked her to provide us with a copy of the recording she has as proof that Henry threatened her, she told us, quote, "Let me seek some legal guidance as it relates to your seeing versus giving it." End quote.

Just a short while ago, the Auditor General contacted us via WhatsApp to say, quote, "I was told that it would be best you make a request under the freedom of information act." End quote.

We also contacted Gerald Henry Jr. for comment and via telephone, he said quote, "I certainly intend to take those comments that she made in the press release to court. And so, I don't want to preempt anything right now, in terms of making any statement outside of that, just to say that we will be seeing each other in court." End quote.

Channel 7