Next Thread
Print Thread
Governor-General Sir Colville Young Resigns #549418
04/10/21 05:11 AM
04/10/21 05:11 AM
oregon, spr
Marty Offline OP

Marty  Offline OP
[Linked Image]Governor-General Sir Colville Young has tendered his resignation to Prime Minister John Briceno.

In the letter, Young tells PM Briceno that "in keeping with the request you made on March 15th 2021, I hereby tender my resignation as Governor-General of Belize effective 30th April, 2021. Young tells the Prime Minister that it's has been an honor and great privilege to serve the nation during his term of office and he hopes that he had made a difference in the lives of many, a difference for good, especially the young people of Belize. Young ends by saying, "If there is anything I can do to be of further service during my retirement, please do not hesitate to call on me".

Sir Colville Young is Belize's second Governor-General and has served since 1993.

LoveFM

Re: Governor-General Sir Colville Young Resigns [Re: Marty] #549709
04/23/21 04:44 AM
04/23/21 04:44 AM
oregon, spr
Marty Offline OP

Marty  Offline OP

Pension Plan for Retiring G.G.

The poor treatment the late Doctor Dame Minita Gordon received upon retiring from her post as Belize’s first Governor General in 1993 left a lot to be desired for such a distinguished office.  In an effort to prevent a recurrence, Prime Minister Briceño will be returning to parliament in the weeks ahead to amend the existing legislation that regulates the office of the Governor General.  The amendment is in respect of the monies paid for the work of the G.G. and will be done retroactively to provide better coverage for Sir Colville Young as he enters retirement.

Prime Minister John Briceño

“I think that we have been doing a disservice to our Governor General and it was even worse with the first Governor General in Belize, the way that she was treated.  I will be coming to the House, in the next House meeting, and I will be making some amendments to the Governor General’s Act to deal with the remuneration, ensuring that the Governor General has access to health insurance, to improve its salary a little bit more. Despite the situation we have presently and we will do this retroactively so that the present Governor General will have a little bit better of a pension that he would get, as opposed to what he would get with the present act that governs his salary.  And when I bring that, Madam Speaker, I am asking everyone in this house, on both sides of the house, to support the proposals that we are doing which is in effect to give that respect that this high office merits.”

Channel 5

Re: Governor-General Sir Colville Young Resigns [Re: Marty] #549890
04/30/21 03:05 PM
04/30/21 03:05 PM
oregon, spr
Marty Offline OP

Marty  Offline OP
LIVE: Departure Ceremony for H.E. Sir Colville Young, Governor General of Belize

Sir Colville Young's Last Day As Governor General

Sir Colville Norbert Young is the outgoing Governor General of Belize, He was appointed Governor-General in 1993, taking office on 17 November of that year, and was knighted in 1994. Sir Colville was born on 20 November 1932 in Belize City. He studied at Belize's St. Michael's College (now part of Anglican Cathedral College (ACC) and not to be confused with the one established recently, and earned a B.A. in English from the University of the West Indies, Mona Campus, Jamaica prior to his doctorate in linguistics from the University of York in England.

Sir Colville was one of the founding members of the Liberal Party and in the late 1980s Young became president of the University College of Belize, one of the five parent institutions of the University of Belize, and was one of its senior lecturers. He also got involved in music, composing all manner of musical pieces from operas to cantatas to others. He published a series of books of and about Belizean literature, including "Literature and Education in Belize", "Creole Proverbs of Belize", "From One Caribbean Corner" and "Caribbean Corner Calling", the last two containing poems in English and Belize Creole. Of these books, "Creole Proverbs" is his most recognized. In 1993, just before becoming Governor General, he published a book of short stories called "Pataki Full", earning acclaim from the local writing community. His stories have been featured in the Belizean Writers Series in "Snapshots of Belize", and a play "Riding Haas" in the drama anthology "Ping Wing Juk Me", also in the Series. Lastly, Young has a stated interest in promoting the development of Belizean music.

In addition to producing his own and getting his family into it, Young has actively contributed to efforts in Belizean schools to maintain music as an educational staple. Many of Belize's school bands were originally started by Young's contributions through his Governor General's office. Young recently hosted a band competition featuring some of these bands.

After being knighted by Her Majesty Queen Elisabeth II in 1994, Sir Colville Nolberto Young has served our country well. The people of Belize both locally and beyond thank you, salute you, for 27 years of dedication to our beautiful Belize. “Land of the free, By the Caribbean Sea”.

Courtesy: Belize Celebrations

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Governor-General Sir Colville Young Resigns [Re: Marty] #549899
05/01/21 04:33 AM
05/01/21 04:33 AM
oregon, spr
Marty Offline OP

Marty  Offline OP

Farewell For A Head Of State

He assumed the post of Governor General in mid 1993 - and today 28 years later, Sir Colville Young stepped down. He's been Belize's Head of State for most of the country's 40 years of Independence - and today at the House of Culture he made a graceful exit - one with the usual fanfare, but also, some tenderness. Jules Vasquez reports.

By the Carib sea...that's where Governor Genial Sir Colville took his last stand at the dais for the Royal Salute.

For 28 years he has been the head of state to four different heads of government, Esquivel, Musa, Barrow and Briceno. And today at the age of 88, he's stepping aside.

Sir Colville Young, Governor General
"Uneasy lies the head that wears a crown. That crown will now be passed to my successor, a great choice by Prime Minister Johnny Briceno. A lady of learning, of charm and of patriotism. I wish her well as I am sure all of you do. My years of retirement will perhaps not be as quiet as I wanted it to be, because already I have been getting note from people here and there and everywhere that they will not allow me to go silent into the goodnight."

A true renaissance man, Sir Colville is a musician, educator, linguist, author, playwright and teacher - even, briefly, a politician.

Now he retires to his family. But even after walking with kings and a queen, he will be remembered not for acting like a monarch, but like an extra-ordinary man with a common touch:

Major Eric Neal
"He is just like a man, humble, compassionate individual who understands the importance of knowing people and where needs be providing those words of assurances for others. During my experience he never came off who was elitist, pompous, to say. He never allowed the role to fill his head."

So, what happens next? Well, for the time being, Cabinet Secretary Stuart Leslie has been named Acting Governor General. And, then, likely at the end of May, Froyla Tzalam will take up the post, becoming Belize's third Governor General.

Her appointment only awaits the Royal Commission from the Palace.

Channel 7

Links
Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
Maruba Beach Klub and Spa is the premiere Secret Beach spa and restaurant located on the crystal blue waters of the Caribbean Sea at the center of Secret Beach, Belize
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
ReefTV
Love FM
The Reporter
PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater
San Pedro Fun Finder
Paradise Guy Event Calendar
Cayo Event Calendar

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Belize Happy Adventures
Conch Creative
Caribbean Culture & Lifestyle
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Click for Ian Anderson's Caves Branch, Welcome to a World of Adventure
Lil Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
May
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
ShoutChat Box
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 174 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics74,326
Posts488,009
Members19,871
Most Online4,377
Dec 15th, 2020

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.