When it comes to murders, there are fourteen fewer murders for the first three months of this year when compared to last year.  Minister of Home Affairs Kareem Musa says that the police working in Belize City have been doing a great job.  As you may know, historically the city has been a problem area when it comes to murders, fueled by gangs and drugs.  This year, those numbers for the city are down. We asked Minister Musa about the plan moving forward.

Andrea Polanco

“Any particular focus for the city?”

Kareem Musa, Minister of Home Affairs

“Absolutely. It is always one of our primary concerns. The eastern division is headed by ACP Rosado who I would like to say has been doing an exceptional job. Like I said, the numbers are down for the first quarter in terms of murders. We are at twenty-four murders for the first quarter compared to thirty-eight last year in the eastern division. And so one of our primary focus is when it comes to eastern division has been home invasions, a new type of crime. So, while it may not be that you are seeing an increase in murders, we are seeing a different type of crime being committed and that is why it is so important for us to strategize as a group, as a department and come up with different ways we can tackle these new forms of crime.”

Andrea Polanco

“Where do these statistics fit into the larger crime strategy?”

Kareem Musa

“Based on the numbers from last year, in terms of violent crimes, last year you would recall was a violent year. And if I am not mistaken we have not had these low numbers as far back as 2014 – that was the last time we had these low numbers in terms of violent crimes. So, we use these numbers to tailor our strategy in fighting crimes to refocus, retool and ramp up our presence in certain areas which would of course lead to arrest but more importantly lead to the deterrence of crime.”

Channel 5