Today is Sovereignís Day, an annual Belizean holiday which commemorates the organization of 54 sovereign states under the British monarchy. Belize joined the Commonwealth of Nations in the year of its independence, 1981. Wishing everyone in Belize a happy Sovereignís Day!
Mayor Wally Nunez and the San Pedro Town Council would like to wish you a Happy Commonwealth Holiday!
The San Pedro Town Council is closed for normal business today, Monday 24 May 2021 for Sovereign's/Commonwealth Day, We will reopen on Tuesday, 25 May 2021.
What memories do you have Commonwealth Day celebrations when you were growing up?
- Queen Victoria became queen at age 18 and held one of the longest reigns in British history.
- Her reign became known as the Victorian Era and was marked by significant economic and industrial development in Britain.
- Empire Day was officially recognized in 1916. The day was especially celebrated by schools across the British Empire; children would salute the British flag and sing patriotic songs.
- As countries that formed the British Empire began to celebrate their own identity, Empire Day was changed.
- Today, 54 countries form the Commonwealth including countries that were former British colonies and a few that have voluntarily joined the association.