Three members of the United Democratic Party have taken to social media to express their concerns surrounding a leaked video showing their party leader, Patrick Faber, cursing at the mother of his child and then proceeding to run after her and hit something off camera.

Two of those members - namely Shyne Barrow and John Saldivar - have questioned Faber's leadership. Two days ago, Saldivar stated on his Facebook page, quote, "The repeated indiscretions of our party leader, Hon Patrick Faber, cannot go unaddressed….Truth is that he should do the honorable thing and step down as party leader. He should have done so already." End quote.

Saldivar goes on to say that when he was asked to step down only 72 hours into election as party leader last year, he did so for the good of the party, and now believes Faber should do the same since, quote, "we have known about his tendency to lose his temper especially when it involved women." End quote.

He wrote that the party, and the public, cannot continue to accept Faber's apologies, and so he is also calling on party officials and delegates to ensure that the party leader steps down or is removed from the post.

But despite Saldivar and Barrow publicly criticizing their party leader, the UDP chairman today told us that all is well within the party. He reiterated their release issued on Wednesday that no one in the leadership core has asked for Faber resignation and downplayed the situation by saying that it is something political parties go through from time to time.

Senator Michael Peyrefitte
"There was a meeting with the leadership core as the release said and from that meeting, nobody from the leadership core has asked for his resignation, that is the case."

Courtney Menzies:
"But is the UDP on rocky ground right now considering that two members have spoken out?"

"No, if that is rocky ground then when the PUP was in opposition there were many calls from many people to resign and there was huge internal turmoil. So it's not rocky ground, it's what political parties and organizations go through. It's nothing at all in terms from an internal standpoint."

"His leadership, my chairmanship, first deputy leadership, second deputy, vice chair, we have conventions and stuff every year and we're analyzed in our performances, every two years sorry, so the leadership positions are always in question depending on your performance on that position then that indicate whether or not the party faithful would want to return to those positions."

But what does the chairman think about the video? Well, he said it's a black eye for the party, and on top of that, Faber's action was unbecoming of a party leader. But Peyrefitte added that things could have been much worse since, well, Faber didn't actually physically hurt anybody.

"I am concerned about what it's doing to the society and party itself, no doubt about that, I think the party leader has said that. As far as domestic violence, I mean how can anybody be for domestic violence, I have yet to meet anybody who is for it..."

Reporter:
"But you have not condemned it publicly."

"I don't need to condemn is like that, the party leader has publicly said that what he did was not an example of what a party leader should do. I mean do you really need to say that what you aw in the video we prefer would not happen? I mean that goes without saying. He has made it very clear publicly and privately that he lost control of himself, he wished he didn't happen. What is important to note though, to be fair, I mean it's ad enough let's not make it worse than it is, he didn't hit anybody, he didn't touch anybody, he took his frustration out against the wall, which is something that you would prefer to do rather than do it on a person but he didn't hit anybody, let's be fair. The public and the media has not been fair, and so we have to understand that nobody was injured however that doesn't mean what he did was correct, it was wrong, he should not have done that, he should not have let his emotions get the better of him in that situation. And so I don't think that anybody can defend or justify that, not even he does."

Peyrefitte continued to defend the party leader by adding that the mother of his child had taken out a protection order but later withdrew it - drawing the conclusion that she doesn't feel like her life is in danger. And because this allegation of domestic violence was never made to the police, there is no way to incriminate Faber.

"There was a protection order application against Mr Faber prior to the incident that we saw in the video. Subsequent to that, Mr Faber and the mother of his child went to court after that incident became public. And she withdrew the protection order which means clearly she doesn't feel like she is in danger personally. Doesn't justify what he did but I'm just trying to say when you talk about allegations, nobody has brought specific allegations to the police, or nobody has brought any allegations to me in terms of them being abused by any members like you're saying. If they were to bring them to me, and if it were demonstrated that anybody was physically hit or touched, I will tell you right away, he needs to resign, charges need to be brought up, and he needs to go to jail but that is not what happened."

"When you want to hold somebody legally responsible for something, you have to have a virtual complainant, you have to ask somebody what happened in this case and if a person doesn't want to give you details, then what can you do? I would encourage anybody, men and women, and you noticed I said men and woman because there are instances where men are victims of domestic violence as well, I would encourage anybody who is being abused or suffering violence to report it to police, that is not the time to be shy, that is not the time to hold back, if anybody in a domestic situation causes violence against the other person whether male or female, you as the victim of that violence should go to the police, make a report, do not retract that report, and let the matter take its course. If you do not do that then you as well are encouraging further abuse in my opinion."

UDP Chairman Blasts Press Release

But The UDP Caucus for Change disagrees with Peyrefitte since they believe that the public has lost the trust of the Belizean public. They issued their release on Tuesday, and their group consists of UDP political officials as well as former and aspiring candidates.

But Peyrefitte doesn't buy that. He said since the release wasn't signed by anyone, it could have been written by anybody, even members of the PUP. He said the UDP isn't taking the release seriously and neither should the media.

"Some obscure body that we don't know who they are or where they come from make some post and you assume that its former UDP's , come on, you guys can do better than that."

Reporter:
"It's not former...?"

"Who then? Who? Did anybody sign to the statement? So then who? How do you know its not PUP members who did the release?"

Courtney Menzies:
"But was that release discussed in the meeting?"

"No because we don't know who is saying it? Who is saying it? So if somebody puts a note out in the middle of the street saying something about you, that makes it onto our agenda? Absolutely not. Had there been a posting with a former minister and they were willing to own that statement then it's worthy of discussion but that statement as far as we're concerned is not worth the paper it's written on because we don't know who wrote it."

It should be noted that our media house received the release from a UDP divisional caretaker - and we know that it did come from within some wing of the party.

Channel 7