Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#55089 07/18/02 01:01 PM
E
OP Offline
E
Since my last report was more of an emotional catharsis, I wanted to give some details on my own diving experience. . .

As many know, this was my first experience with diving. I was really nervous about whether or not I would like it, but all these fears went out the window within a few hours.

Began the course on a Monday with Eddie from Amigos. If you are looking for a great teacher who is extremely patient and knows how to make even book work fun, then Eddie is your man. My experience would not have been the same without his help.

First dive at Hol Chan. A little nervous, and even more so after I accidently add air to BCD instead of releasing. Begin to shoot to surface (Andy notices and comes to the rescue)before gaining composure and remebering to stop and exhale (Lesson from Eddie-remain calm at all times!). Once down, I can't believe I am in this other world. I am completely amazed I am breathing under water with all these wonderful sea creatures. I see eels, stingrays, Grouper, and all kinds of other bright little fish. Dive is over too soon and we head back to Amigos.

I am on such a high after my experience I can't even nap when I get back to the room. Oh well, a shower and a change of clothes and I'm off a little early for my evening of fun!

During my trip I did a total of 11 dives. We went to Hol Chan, Cypress Gardens, Tiburon Canyons, Victoria Canyons, Sand Bar, Amigos Wreck, and San Pedro Canyons.

On each dive, I found somthing new and amazing about the experience. When it was really clear, it was wonderful how much you could see. When visibility was low, it was like a whole other world of shadows and movements. I was never disappointed. How could I be. Here I was in this underwater land filled with strange and beautiful creatures and formations I had never seen before.

Some have mentioned that it was too rough outside the reef. I thought this was just part of the fun. The boat ride was like a coaster at Magic Mountain, and with a little air in your BCD, floating in the swells was like being in the pool at a waterpark with the wave machine (But way more fun!).

I will have to say, however, that my nightdive was my favorite. The reef comes alive at night and opens up to feed on all the little floating animals (I know they have names like plankton, etc, but I forget at this moment what exactly all of them are). At one point we went into a cavern and turned out our lights. I don't think I have ever experienced darkness like this before. All I could hear was the sound of our breathing. When I looked up, the coral was putting on a light show. It was both amazing and beautiful. I don't think I have ever experienced a more surreal moment than this. The funny thing is, I never felt a moment of fear, just an overwhelming sense of calmness and wonder.

I realize I am a new diver, but I also know that no matter how many times and different places I dive in the future, I will always find somthing amazing in each new experience. Actually, out of everything I have seen on this trip the slow moving, old- man faced groupers are still my favorite. I love their funny faces and slow moving nature.

I am going back in a few weeks and I will do the Blue Hole. But I will also go out on local dives, as each has somthing wonderful to offer. If you relax, move slowly (Another lesson from Eddie), and open yourself up to your surroundings, you will never be dissappointed with the experience.

#55090 07/18/02 01:31 PM
O
O
Gosh that sounds so wonderful. I just wish that I was not so afraid. I do not like being enclosed, so I know I will never do it.
Jackie

#55091 07/19/02 10:54 AM
E
OP Offline
E
Here I put this lovely dive report together and none of my friends (except Jackie-thank you)have a single comment or question??

Or is it that you are all afraid if you say anything I will subject eveyone to another 10 page emotionally laden, meandering, superfluous "report" He He

#55092 07/19/02 11:03 AM
Great report. Should ease tensions of new divers. Thanks for sharing ellydognme.

Jim

**Jim
#55093 07/19/02 11:13 AM
L
L
I admire you for several different reasons, 1)taking a trip by yourself into an unknown country, 2)never diving before and going that far to learn how, 3)most of all for going outside your comfort zone. That's a hard one to do.

Thank you for the report. I still consider myself a new diver. I've dove Key Largo, FL area, St. Thomas, Virgin Islands, and Aruba. I'm looking forward to my diving in Belize, from what I've read on this post and seeing some of the pixs posted. I'll finally get to see some of the sea creatures I've been waiting to see. I still have not had the courage to do a night dive but I'm telling myself I need to in Belize so I can see all the night life down below. I don't think I would be interested in turning my light off though. I'm glad you had a good time and hope you have the same on your return back. Sounds like we will just miss each other. I arrive on the 1st and leave on the 10th. Good Luck to you.

#55094 07/19/02 11:19 AM
E
OP Offline
E
lilwings

Gosh, I think I will fish for compliments more often! Thank you. And as far as missing each other, I arrive on the 1st and am not leaving until the 19th. Where are you flying from?

#55095 07/19/02 11:56 AM
L
L
I'm in Louisville, Kentucky and I believe we are on American Airlines going through Dallas. I think we arrive in Belize City around 2:00ish something. We will be on our weddingmoon. What is yours?

#55096 07/19/02 12:19 PM
O
O
Sorry I will miss you lil wings. I arrive on the 10th. Good luck with your weddingmoon, I like that.

Gee, Kayla, 18 days, you are really making me jealous now. Save some good tours to go with me on, or atleast one,cave tubing.

Jackie

#55097 07/19/02 02:56 PM
Hey Kayla, Loved your report!!!!! Enjoyed the time we spent with you in AC also..Have you seen our pics????They are on the board,(Pics of July Trip)....Hope you have another wonderful trip...Johnboy&Linda

John
#55098 07/19/02 03:04 PM
and you ARE cute!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
1 members (Marty), 148 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,028
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.