Print Thread
3 Villages Locked Down due to Covid-19 Case Increase #551263
07/03/21 04:49 AM
07/03/21 04:49 AM
oregon, spr
Marty Offline OP

Marty  Offline OP
Lockdown of Southern Communities to Mitigate the Spread of COVID-19

The Government of Belize has implemented a lockdown order for Conejo, Midway, and Barranco villages in the Toledo District effective today, July 2, 2021, for an initial period of two weeks. A curfew specific to these villages will also be in effect as of today from 8:00 p.m. to 4:59 a.m.

The Ministry of Health & Wellness will be providing food packages to every household in these communities for the duration of the lockdown. The ministry will also be assisting with a weekly stipend of $150 per household.

The health teams will be led by Dr. Franelda Gutierrez, regional manager of the Southern Health Region.

The public is advised to visit the nearest public health facility to get vaccinated and reminded to observe the public health measures that are currently in place.

Re: 3 Villages Locked Down due to Covid-19 Case Increase [Re: Marty] #551553
07/17/21 04:28 AM
07/17/21 04:28 AM
oregon, spr
Marty Offline OP

Marty  Offline OP

Extension of Lockdown for Southern Communities

Cabinet has decided to extend the initial lockdown for the villages of Conejo, Midway and Barranco in the Toledo District for an additional period of two weeks, which should conclude at the end of this month. A curfew is also in effect until the end of this month.

The Ministry of Health & Wellness continues to provide food packages for all households in these communities for the duration of the lockdown as well as a stipend of $150 per week.

The public is also advised that members of the judiciary and security guards have been added to the list of “frontline workers,” reference Statutory Instrument No. 74 of 2021. If these persons are not immunized by August 1, 2021, they will need to present a negative COVID-19 test to their respective employers every two weeks.

Weekly Food only lasting families two days in Midway

The lockdown continues in the villages of Conejo, Midway, and Barranco in the Toledo District. The S.I. makes provisions for the extension of the lockdown through to the end of the month. This morning we spoke with Chairman Marcos Ico of Midway Village who says that his people are not happy about the additional two weeks. While they understand that COVID-19 measures are necessary, the food assistance they are receiving is not enough to meet their needs, and shops and other places of business are closed.

Via Phone: Marcos Ico, Chairman, Midway Village

“Hmmm well right now the villagers were happy that the two weeks reached but when they heard that a next extension was called the people are waiting to go work; waiting to go buy; to buy chemicals for their farms that are getting bushy. This is the time they need to clean their farms with spraying and all that. Children are crying; they need pampers and sugar. These past two weeks were hard and now it is an additional two weeks. I know that they will feel more because it is kinda hard for us out here because the shops that we have are all closed and the corn mills are now closed and so the ladies can’t go and grind corn anymore. And the food that we get – the lee bit ah food that we get every four days is very limited especially for the bigger families. They were complaining to me that it only serves them for two days and it is limited.”

Andrea Polanco

“What have they said to you, Chairman? Is it a case of them extending the lockdown because the cases are going up down there?”

Via Phone: Marcos Ico

“Well, so far as I noticed from yesterday I only get the seventy-seven total cases since it started. And only fifteen more active and coming this week I think those fifteen will be recovered. And so it is getting lower and lower and I believe in the Lord that we will get lower.”

Chairman Ico says that they have received a disbursement of one hundred and fifty dollars last week and they expect that stipend to be issued once again this week.

Midway Wants Stores and Corn Mill Reopened

Chairman Ico is now appealing to the authorities to relax some of the restrictions on the village. He says that they are in need of some basic necessities:

Via Phone: Marcos Ico, Chairman, Midway Village

“What I am thinking is that it would be better if the shop could open for them at least the government could look into it so that business people can open and the corn mill can open. Because we can maintain the measures and protocols in place so that we can help our people.”

Andrea Polanco

“So you feel that the residents have been responsible and they are following the measures – you think maybe they can loosen up some of those restrictions a little?”

Via Phone: Marcos Ico

“Well, as I see it in my community these people are understanding. They are religious people and they can understand. They abide by the rules as I see it. Nobody is moving around for the two weeks gone and nobody on the streets and so we are working along with the police from Barranco.”

Channel 5

Links
Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
Maruba Beach Klub and Spa is the premiere Secret Beach spa and restaurant located on the crystal blue waters of the Caribbean Sea at the center of Secret Beach, Belize
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
ReefTV
Love FM
The Reporter
PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
To Get Your Questions Answered

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater
San Pedro Fun Finder
Paradise Guy Event Calendar
Cayo Event Calendar

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Belize Happy Adventures
Conch Creative
Caribbean Culture & Lifestyle
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Click for Ian Anderson's Caves Branch, Welcome to a World of Adventure
Lil Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
July
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
ShoutChat Box
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (sweets), 166 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics74,912
Posts489,600
Members19,930
Most Online5,530
Jun 13th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.