Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#55129 07/19/02 05:33 PM
C
CMNate Offline OP
OP Offline
C
After doing all of this research on how I might make it to San Pedro, I thought I might post a message to see how most people arrive. Do most of you opt for the plane ride (municipal or international)? Or do you take the ferry? Does anyone fly into Cancun? I think routes also change if you are not able to plan in advance.
I'm coming from Northern CA and TACA would be the best bet, but their cheapest fares are not available on my short notice.
I will end up taking a charter out of Oakland (which is perfect because it is also a red-eye and arrives at 6:55AM) that will drop me off in Cancun. From there, I'll make my way (via shuttle) to the bus station and purchase a ticket to Chetumal. I'll probably take a taxi from there to the airport in Corozal (after clearing customs) and then fly ($41 one way) to San Pedro.
I think it's a pretty good route (especially from the West coast) and I should arrive in San Pedro around 2:30 (hoping to catch the 1:55PM flight).
Anybody see any problems with my connections? Any better ideas?
I'll be looking forward to meeting up with a few of you (if possible).

Nate

#55130 07/19/02 05:50 PM
E
E
Nate

Any reason why you don't just fly Continental Oakland-Houston-Belize City? Just bought a ticket for 522.00. That was the lowest I could find right now. If I am correct, Taca is 958.00 right now out of Oakland. When do you need to leave? Also, about getting to SP, I prefer to dole out the 90.00 for the plane rather than suffer at the hands of the taxi drivers (water) on that 1.5 hour ride. Lots of my friends took the taxi however, as I think it is only 25.00.

Kayla

One more thing-All flights from West coast land at international.

[This message has been edited by ellydognme (edited 07-19-2002).]

#55131 07/19/02 06:24 PM
C
CMNate Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I didn't see a $522 rate for Continental. TACA was quoting me around $600+. The main reason I don't take continental to Houston is that I loose a whole days vacation just for travel (I think). I'll get to Cancun for $484 (including taxes). For this trip at least, I don't mind the bus ride. I have never been past Playa del Carmen (in Mexico) and I'm kinda interested in the developement along the Maya Riviera (I might try to rent a car in Chetumal on my way back and get a better look at the coastline). I will take another look at Continental and their flight schedule.

Thanks,

Nate

#55132 07/19/02 06:26 PM
T
T
I agree with Kayla above. But maybe you want to see the countryside? The bus ride could be a bit long, but I'm not sure. I've heard that coast is pretty, so it might be good to check it out. In my experience, buses in the area tend to be delayed, hot and slow...but I'm generalizing.

#55133 07/19/02 06:39 PM
O
O
How long is the bus ride from Cancun to Belize? If you are worried about losing a day because of flying, dont you lose alot more on the bus, just asking. But if you want the experience that you could tell us all about, go for it and good luck.

Kayla,
I think that I am taking the ferry only because my friend is meeting me at the airport, buT I will do my best to change that, cuz after flying all day, I really rather not take a boat ride for 1.5 hours. Imagine what I could do in that time,shower,unpack, mata coldas, and make to Papis for dinner(no Chloe still do not know how I am getting from point A to point B). That is day one plan. Unless something else comes up.
Jackie

#55134 07/19/02 07:12 PM
o Jackie is making Chloe laugh. [Linked Image]

I know how you are going to get from point A to B, TAXI.

Dare To Deviate
#55135 07/19/02 07:30 PM
C
CMNate Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Kayla,
I just checked on the internet (an agent might find something better) and the fare on the dates that I wanted to travel was $1069 to Belize ($1,397 to Cancun) and that was looking at two separate weeks. The flight leaves at 6:30AM which means I would have to get up aound 4AM and it gets in at 2:57. Given a customs/immigration stop, I figure that would put me into San Pedro by flight at around 4:30 on a good day. My chater (Suntrips) will get in at 6:55AM (it leaves at 11:25PM) and although there will be a 5-6 hour bus ride. I will have much more time to start acclimating to the environment and a chance to mingle with local people (north of the Belizean border). Even with the bus ride I still plan on arriving at 2:30PM (that's with a flight out of Corozal).

Nate

#55136 07/19/02 08:05 PM
E
E
Nate

Check http://www.flycheapol.com/

I just checked and it is 522.00 out of Oakland and Lax. Add 40 to that for service fees and it is 562 total. Cheapest I could find.

Yes, I too must leave for Lax at 1:00 am (WILL NOT MISS MY FLIGHT EVER AGAIN) to catch 6:30 flight, but it it worth it to get to San Pedro by 2:45 that day. The connecting flight in Houston takes off less than an hour after arrival. I then take the puddle jumper to SP and arrive there by 3:30.

However, I am sure the bus ride would be very interseting (He HE) and lend itself to some wonderful stories when you return.

#55137 07/19/02 08:31 PM
J
J
I just got back from a trip to Playa del Carmen via San Pedro. I flew down to Belize City, caught Tropic Air to San Pedro to pick up my novio, then continued on Tropic Air to Corozal. We took a "private" taxi from Corozal to Chetumal and stayed there two nights. Then, on to the bus station to take the bus to Playa.

Okay, I was influenced by bad movies and a strange experience in Italy many years ago, but I was expecting the ancient, no window glass, school bus vehicle complete with chickens, pigs, and goats on board.

WRONG!

If you travel first class, the fee is 133 pesos (about US$13), and the bus is a big, airconditioned, comfortable stratocruiser thing. It has reclining seats, a restroom, and movies showing on airline-type tvs throughout the bus. The trip was about 3 1/2 hours, but you can sleep, watch the movie, chat, or watch the trees go by.

Be sure to pick up a couple of sodas or beers and some snacks at the terminal for your dining enjoyment.

Not a chicken, goat, or pig to be seen.

The buses were exactly on time, both coming and going.

I'm not a bus rider generally, but this was a perfectly nice experience.

#55138 07/19/02 08:37 PM
C
CMNate Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Kayla,
That's a good website (Thanks). I'll keep it marked for future reference. It's almost tempting enough to hop a SWA flight down ($39), but I would miss my connection on the way back. When I am in Cancun I will look for charters/flights to Chetumal, but I haven't found any. I hear they are improving the airport there as well as the infrastructure in the Maya Riviera. More developement might mean better connections out of Cancun. I will be taking 100's (literally) of pictures (any maybe video) on my trip for future reference and will report back to the board upon my return.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 278 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.