Next Thread
Print Thread
Will Faber Have To Face Another Convention? #551464
07/13/21 04:22 AM
07/13/21 04:22 AM
oregon, spr
Marty Offline OP

Marty  Offline OP

While Faber retains his seat, that doesn't mean the inner wheels of the party still aren't turning against him. There are reports that those who championed the recall petition will push for a national convention at the earliest possible time, and Faber's leadership position is expected to be challenged again. We asked both Peyrefitte and Faber about this possibility.

Courtney Menzies:
"Sir do you think the NPC will push for a leadership convention in the near future?"

Michael Peyrefitte, UDP Chairman
"It's not a matter of pushing for a national convention, the constitution of the party tells you when you're going to have a convention."

Courtney Menzies:
"But sometimes you guys waive it."

"Well under extreme circumstances but there's no reason to waive anything under the constitution as far as I know."

Reporter:
"But the leader of the opposition has suggested as such, that if they weren't successful today, they would try to do something to push that forward."

"And I suggest that I marry Rihanna next week Friday, man we can suggest anything, the constitution is there and we will follow the constitution."

Hon. Patrick Faber, UDP Party Leader
"The truth is that I have not even served a year yet a leader of this party. The constitution of this party allows for any leader to get a two year term, I was elected in July but did not assume the full leadership of the party remember until November and even those who were elected in the February convention still have not reach their two years mark. And that was because that was an abnormal situation brought on by an amendment of a 2016 convention in Dangriga where we agreed that we would not have a convention until February. So those who are claiming that a convention is due in October, they're absolutely wrong in assuming that, in fact while the constitution talks about a convention in every other year, that work of a convention starts in January where delegates and executive committees have got to be selected even from in January and that work certainly did not happen. In fact you saw from the exception of one committee, all the delegates were the same committees that were selected from 2018 I believe, 2019. So they have certainly now come to a close of their tenure as delegates and the party will now move swiftly to hold constituency convention to ensure that we have proper caretakers. I maintain that those colleagues who did not win an election and were now properly selected as caretaker, we only had one really out of place and so we will now move to make sure things are now in the rightful place, caretakers are selected properly, constituency committees are selected by the right mechanism and that they understand fully their roles to keep the party functioning even in the absence of a constituency leader because that is really what our constitution speaks to."

Channel 7

Is There a Pending Leadership Convention in the U.D.P.?

Several hours after emerging victorious at the recall convention, a call was once again made for Patrick Faber to abdicate his post as leader of the U.D.P.  In thanking the delegates who participated in the vote, Leader of the Opposition Shyne Barrow took to social media where he said, “the majority of the U.D.P. delegates have spoken and they have said clearly they do not want Patrick Faber to remain leader of the U.D.P.  Any self-respecting leader who cannot get fifty percent of the delegates’ votes would resign.”  In other corners of the party, there is already talk of a looming leadership convention which would see Faber once again fighting to remain leader.  According to the Collet area rep, he has not completed the first year of his leadership and that conventions are held every two years.

Patrick Faber, Party Leader, U.D.P.

“The truth is that I have not even served a year yet as leader of this party.  The constitution of this party allows for any leader to get a two-year term.  I was elected in July but did not get to assume the full leadership of the party, you remember, until like November.  And even those who were elected in the February convention still have not reached their two-year mark.  That was because of an abnormal situation brought on by an amendment in the 2016 convention in Dangriga where we agreed that we would not have a convention until February.  So those who are claiming that a convention is due in October, they are absolutely wrong in assuming that.  In fact, while the constitution talks about a convention in every other year, that work of a convention starts in January where delegates and executive committees have got to be selected even from January and that work certainly did not happen.  In fact, you saw that with the exception of one committee, all the delegates were the same committees that were selected from 2018, I believe, 2019.  So they have certainly now come to a close for their tenure as delegates and the party will now move swiftly to hold constituency conventions.”

Channel 5

Re: Will Faber Have To Face Another Convention? [Re: Marty] #551487
07/14/21 04:35 AM
07/14/21 04:35 AM
oregon, spr
Marty Offline OP

Marty  Offline OP

UDP Party Leader shares the way forward after Sunday's recall convention
Patrick Faber - Party Leader - United Democratic Party

Links
Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
Maruba Beach Klub and Spa is the premiere Secret Beach spa and restaurant located on the crystal blue waters of the Caribbean Sea at the center of Secret Beach, Belize
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
ReefTV
Love FM
The Reporter
PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
To Get Your Questions Answered

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater
San Pedro Fun Finder
Paradise Guy Event Calendar
Cayo Event Calendar

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Belize Happy Adventures
Conch Creative
Caribbean Culture & Lifestyle
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Click for Ian Anderson's Caves Branch, Welcome to a World of Adventure
Lil Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
July
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
ShoutChat Box
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 136 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics74,893
Posts489,540
Members19,924
Most Online5,530
Jun 13th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.