Next Thread
Print Thread
Family court grants Andrew Ashcroft interim custody of children #551635
07/21/21 04:34 AM
07/21/21 04:34 AM
oregon, spr
Marty Offline OP

Marty  Offline OP
In an attempt to get custody of her twins, Jasmine Hartin took her former partner and father of her children, Andrew Ashcroft, to the Family Court in Belize City on Tuesday, July 20th, where things did not go well for her. The court granted Ashcroft interim custody of the two 4-year-old children, and the case was adjourned.

The former island resident, 32-year-old Canadian National, was disappointed with the courtís decision. She briefly said that it was an unfair outcome. Her attorney decided against discussing what took place inside the court because it is a matter involving children. When Ashcroft emerged from the courtroom, the media questioned him, but he offered no comments. He boarded a vehicle waiting for him on the street and was whisked away.

Click here to read the rest of the article in the San Pedro Sun

Re: Family court grants Andrew Ashcroft interim custody of children [Re: Marty] #551640
07/21/21 04:48 AM
07/21/21 04:48 AM
oregon, spr
Marty Offline OP

Marty  Offline OP

Jasmin Vs. Andrew, not in The Kingís Court, but in Family Court

The War of the Ashcrofts kicked off today at the Belize Family Court where Jasmine Hartin and Andrew Ashcroft met in the court of Magistrate Dale Cayetano to start the proceedings for the custody of their 4-year-old twins Charlie and Elle.

Those proceedings started early and only lasted about an hour with the attorneys for both sides reportedly doing all the talking inside.

And at the end, there was an interim agreement, one which both parents will have to compromise on until the court can make a decision.

Now, family court matters hardly ever make the news - but one of the parents killed a cop - while the other is the son of the richest man in Belize. The stakes are high in a custody dispute that's also a power struggle.

Cherisse Halsall caught the former couple as they exited the court.

When Jasmine Hartin descended the stairs of Belize family court this morning

She was followed shortly thereafter by her somewhat camera shy former partner, Andrew Ashcroft.

Clearly Ashcroft didn't intend to answer any questions and this morning attorney Wendy Auxilou,the woman who famously posted bail for Hartin had the same strategy.

Wendy Auxilou, Co-Council on Hartin/Ashcroft custody hearing
"The matter has been adjourned to another date, which I don't want to give, I'm hesitant to give because we don't want it to become a media frenzy, it's a matter that involves children, we have to take every care."

Reporter:
"And what happened today?"

Wendy Auxilou
"They made an interim ruling in regards to the custody of the children until the big matter, the matter is ventilated in the courts."

Reporter:
"So they remain in Andrew's custody?"

Wendy Auxilou
"I'm not going to say."

But while Hartin's attorney was keeping mum Ashcroft's counsel gave us just a bit more:

Roberta Magnus Usher, Attorney-At-law
"You know these are sensitive matters, let this court do what it has to."

Reporter:
"But was a decision made today?"

"Yes."

Reporter:
"Can you share at least what that preliminary decision was?"

Cherisse Halsall:
"Does Mr. Andrew retains custody for now?"

"Yes, he does."

Reporter:
"That's interim custody though? That's interim custody."

"I will speak to you after the matter is finished."

And later at our Channel 7 studios we got a more complete re-cap from Jasmine herself.

Jasmine Hartin
"Basically we came to an interim decision where I do get to the children, was it the most ideal outcome to my favor? No, I don't think it was. I'm not exactly happy with it, but again it's only until the next court hearing which will be September 7th."

We asked Hartin why she, as an unwed mother, wasn't the one granted interim custody.

Jasmine Hartin
"It goes against everything that I've known about the Belizean law which in the families and children's Act section 16-2 it clearly states that a mother of children born out of wedlock which is the case, in my case with my twins Charlie and Elle that I have immediate sole custody I don't need a day in court to have sole custody."

Cherisse Halsall:
"There's a lot that Andrew can throw at you in terms of you're on drugs, you're always partying, you're never with these children, what are some of the things that he threw at you today?"

Jasmine Hartin
"So Andrew didn't actually speak, so today I haven't had a chance to go through the affidavits. I think its best to wait and see. I've been going for tests to prove my innocence. All of my tests have been negative in fact I went this morning for another test I'm not on drugs, I've never been an addict and it will all come out very soon a lot of evidence against the plaintiff actually."

And while you'd think that Andrew Ashcroft could easily build a case against party girl Jasmine, she's been doing some digging of her own and has unearthed some of his misdeeds that have become U.S. public record.

Jasmine Hartin
"So he has what, one DUI from 2013 in Florida, there is also a public intoxication where he was kicked off an aeroplane in Dallas in 2019 because he was so incoherent and he was believed to be a danger to himself and people around him. So I'm sure these things will all come out. It was behavior such as that which is why I left with my children in 2018. I only came back to Belize with my children because he promised to stay sober. Which lasted three weeks."

Cherisse Halsall:
"And so did you at all feel while you were in court that this matter was being prejudiced by the other matter, the Jemmott shooting that you are currently arguing in court?"

Jasmine Hartin
"It's such a different thing but I did feel that a few things they said were relating to that case which should never cross the two, the two should never cross. Me being a mother and being there for my children has nothing to do with a manslaughter by negligence charge, I should be with my children."

Cherisse Halsall:
"The Ashcroft's are famous for litigation, they've defeated the entire sovereign nation of Belize with all the legal briefs that they're able to throw. You're not connected to Ashcroft money anymore, are you concerned that they with all their resources to get legal counsel are just going to battle you into the ground with all these legal briefs?"

Jasmine Hartin
"I think that's 100% what they're trying to do. They know that I don't have unlimited funds like they do and with the help of family, friends, complete strangers I don't even know coming out of the woodwork, people are sending me funds to put towards legal fees, some people are just offering to pay it outright, the whole retainer for me because they're sick of seeing bullies like this. I'm a single mother being threatened with litigation, left and right, and being threatened with false allegations, and kept from my children, what they're doing is wrong and there are people out there that are seeing it and there are people out there that are actually able to stand up against them with me."

"But I have hard facts and I can defend myself so I don't need the top-notch lawyer to do that, I need the facts which I already have so, we'll see what happens."

Cherisse Halsall:
"So do you feel that you got a fair shake at this hearing?"

Jasmine Hartin
"Absolutely, right now it's coming out with him saying this and I say that, I'm not gonna play that back and forth game. I think this is a family matter it's something that's very slanderous on his side, it shows his true color and it shows his true character, so I don't think it's, I'm not going to jab back at him, I'm going to hit him back with factual evidence of his long history of abuse."

Ashcroft and Hartin have their next court appearance on September 7th.

Channel 7

Links
Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
Maruba Beach Klub and Spa is the premiere Secret Beach spa and restaurant located on the crystal blue waters of the Caribbean Sea at the center of Secret Beach, Belize
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
ReefTV
Love FM
The Reporter
PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
To Get Your Questions Answered

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater
San Pedro Fun Finder
Paradise Guy Event Calendar
Cayo Event Calendar

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Belize Happy Adventures
Conch Creative
Caribbean Culture & Lifestyle
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Click for Ian Anderson's Caves Branch, Welcome to a World of Adventure
Lil Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
July
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
ShoutChat Box
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 118 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics74,949
Posts489,697
Members19,932
Most Online5,530
Jun 13th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.