by Eugene Trench

A short story I had written way back in an English class name "Back Den"

Characters:
Ms Tency
Ms Mehetibel
Pa Nathaniel
Tommy
David

Ms Tency was walking down Richard St where she lived she was going to the Watside to empty her Night Bucket every two step she took she ease the bucket down then rub her knees and mumbled to her self”lawd weh wa seventy year old woman have do these things why didn’t mi granddaughters stay with me here instead of going to States with their muma”.Look at mi friend Mehitibel,her son, wife and grandchildren live with her to help with carrying out their bucket . When she finish at the Watside she took the opposite way to see if Mehitibel her friend got up yet, reaching her gate she shouted “Yohoo!” “Mehitibel “ “Yohoo! “ “Mehitibel ! “She notice the blinds open and she heard her friend answered” Tency da you dat gyal weh yo d do up so early”. “Mehitibel l just left Watside and lawd dey maskita only d bite “as she speak she brush her self with her rag and it seems dey falla me so any news gyal . Yes ! Yes ! things tarry yer d Governor vex with Price, Richardson, Goldson , Smith & Pollard cause dey refuse to heng a picture a King George ena City Hall big meeting tenite da Battlefield Park all a dey wa talk me don hav me blue skirt & white blouse press hope yo gwen wit me a wa ask Tommy and e friend David fu ker d stool fu we because yo know we knee no to gud and we can’t stand up long .De meeting staat seventoty shaap and me no wa miss out memba last time we reach late and lawd we miss out. K Mehitibel gyal a gwen, memba a wa past fu yo seven shaap a really wa hear weh we boys wah seh hope dey give dey British hell da bout time we run we own este . Gyal Tency a hope yo son Nathaniel no rail up wit me cause yo no he no like we go listen to Price just cause he work da de Lumba Yaad weh BEC own he worship dey pipple. Mehitibel memba Nathaniel hav wa gud job and he put bred pa table me haf to wait pa wen mi data send wa lee dollars fu me . A kno gyal but at least dey memba yo you no memba poor Ms Rosie e wotless pickney gawn da England wit d white man and up to tiday e no send wa dime fu d woman, poo ting e end up da Po House po thing. Da tru gyal som pickney really wotless.Anyway, gyal Tency mek a go knead some flour, dem pickney wa flour tortilla fu tea and a no light d kerosene stove yet. OK Mehitibel gyal at least you have stove fu cook inside me still d struggle with mi fire hearth outside but a d beg mi data fu send wa lee xtra dis Christmas fu mek a buy wa stove wen e rain lawd a barely cud go outside to cook, any way see yo Seven

Part 2 of “Back Den”

Pa Nathaniel sitting on his verandah enjoying his favorite drink wa lee rum & Coke whilst his wife observing the passersby. Whilst he and his wife were talking he notice Ms Tency coming up the street in her bright blue skirt & white blouse with her handkerchief tuck between her bosom. Hmm Pa Nathaniel mumbled “a wonder da weh she gwen mus da Battlefield Park da PUP meeting to listen to da crowd we d mek mischief” lawd his wife mentioned left dey pipple alone I think dey want good fu we country it’s time we run our own affairs. At that moment his mom, Mehitibel came out with her blue skirt white blouse and her handkerchief tuck like how Ms Tency have hers, hearing her daughter-in-law she dip in “yes Betty tell mi son we di fight fu all Belizeans we tired a dey British running our affairs time fu action. Smelling the Limacol on his mom with a twinkle in his eye Nathaniel chuckle “ayee mom like yo got wa date tenite” yes his mom answered date wit me boys da Battlefield Park things hot, Mom , Nathaniel answered you know a no like u and Ms Tency mix up with da crowd, been hearing terrible things about them even hear they’re taking money from Guatemala me no trust da PUP crowd look at their flag similar to Guatemala soon da lone pania we wa d talk . Stop listen to foolishness all Price,Smith,Goldson, Richardson & Pollard da mek dey British mek we run we own affairs, anyway see Tency deh, a gwen hope David and e friend done tek we stool cause dey lee knee the act up I glad a rub wa lee Bengue pa it a wa fill yo een lata Betty gyal. Holding on to the rail she went downstairs to meet Tency and then trod towards Battlefield Park, what got on Mehitibel nerves is like every two three steps dey took Tency stop and gossip with someone, “lawd Tency you da like bread cart mek we hurry mi grandson David must d wonder we we deh”.

Reaching they look around and spotted David and his friend waving to them at their favorite spot if anyone else were there hmmm they would have been mad, they went and sat down, telling David to hang around or comeback in two hours time.

Looking around Tency mentioned hmmm look like wa lee crowd tenite and more coming yes gyal Mehitibel mentioned look like we d get d message across, only mi son he luv dey British, lawd Mehitibel understand Nathaniel he works fu dem . Glancing around Tency notice an old friend standing behind a tree talking to a gentleman, look Mehitibel mi friend got no shame dat da d same gentleman me see her with da Foreshore d sit down close d talk something d happen but wen e husband find out e wa beat ah. Maybe just a person she talk to mention Mehitibel they’re good friends . Hmmm too gud of a friend .

Back Den Pt.3

Ms Tency & Mehitibel sat down in Battlefield Park patiently waiting for the meeting to begin whilst waiting both chatting and observing the crowd, Tency eyes roaming over the park trying to see who’s present and paying key attention to her friend and the gentleman she’s with, “look Mehitibel lawd look how close e deh to the man hmmm breeze can’t pass through them,” “mind yo own business Tency me no fast” . Look Tency mentioned Mehitibel, “Mr Price coming our way a wanda if he memba we, gyal one thing with Mr Price he no figet name and face me think he knows everybody hmmm look how sharp e look”. Mr Price went by them and politely said “Good Night Ms Tency & Ms Mehitibel glad you all can make the meeting tonight we have so much to tell you all”. “Mr Price “said Ms Tency “me neva wa miss dis ya meeting me proud of you, Mr Goldson, Mr Smith, Mr Richardson & Mr Pollard me like when unu gave dem whitey British hell, proud a unu really proud” . Me second the motion Mr Price Amen to that. With a twinkle in his eyes Mr Price asked Ms Mehitibel when will you bring Nathaniel at our meeting hmmm and with hissing of her mouth she mentioned me son really no like unu cause Mr Price, but one day he will I know just because he worked for dem British . Smiling and bidding Good Night again Mr Price left them and went to chat with another group. “Wow “Mehitibel “Tency said “Mr Price talk perfect English and he really can talk”, yes Tency gyal he and Mr Smith got their education da the Catholic High School run by the Jesuits they very educated, very educated me proud a dem da Mr Price gwen far ena politics mark me word Tency. Their conversation was interrupted by the master of ceremony who was also the party chairman signaling the meeting about to start, instead of playing the British Anthem God Save The King”the American Anthem Star Spangled Banner was played the chairman mentioned over the microphone to everyone sing it loud so the Governor could hear it way up Regent St da government house, that brought out a loud cheer from the crowd, when the cheer finish someone in the crowd shouted “to hell with the Governor and dem British ya da fu we,”again a thunderous cheer went up from the crowd. When Mr Smith, Mr Richardson, Mr Goldson & Mr Pollard finished speaking Mr Price was the main Speaker he spoke of the Governor wanted to arrest the editors of the Billboard and charge them with sedition but we will defend them we will get a Jamaican attorney to fight our case Mr Goldson & Mr Richardson is one of us, down with them British. Freedom & Justice for Mr Goldson & Mr Richardson ! We need money to pay the lawyer fees so we’re going to have some fund raising are you with us, a big big thunderous applause came from the crowd Yes! Yes ! they shouted we got unu back, to hell with the British !

Gyal Tency hmmm this crowd rifle up me wa cook a big pot of rice & beans and donate it yes gyal Mehitibel although things hard me can’t give but a wa help yo grata d kuknat and we wa cook it pan d fire hart , yes Tency gyal we haf to help .

Back Den: Pt 4

When the meeting finished at Battlefield Park Tency & Mehitibel waited around for a little while for her grandson and his friend to come pick up their stools, whilst waiting Tency eyes roaming and observing the crowd, look Mehitibel me friend and the gentlemen leaving a wanda weh e gwen. Lawd Tency mentioned Mehitibel “da woman wa give yo pressure “ anyway see David deh e friend the come fu de de stool lets start walking home. Walking they bid friends good night and Tency as usual wah hold conversation with whom they meet, gyal e late and a wah fill een Betty weh gawn on .

Meanwhile still sitting on the verandah waiting for his mom Pa Nathaniel was still chatting with his wife and watching the passers by, hmmmm Betty gyal look like wa lee crowd me deh da Park listening to da Guatemalan crowd, behave yo self Nathan Mr Smith, Price,Richardson,Goldson & Pollard only wah betta fu we maybe a should a gawn with yo mother-in-law and Tency . Look Betty gyal here dey come a imagine how e wa fill yo in. Reaching her house Pa Nathaniel mentioned to Betty wen Tency seh gud nite to us a wa reply ena Spanish, then a wa tease ah, cause she and mi Ma like dah crowd. Gud nite Nathan & Betty gyal and a wa chat with yo tomorrow Mehitibel gyal. “Buenos Noches Señora Tency , ¿Como estas? “ then he couldn’t help his laughter, Nathaniel you drunk mentioned his mom “Betty da how much glass a rum me son drink meanwhile making her way upstairs, da wat with the pania talk. Laughing loud with a twinkle in his eyes he said “ a de get ready fu wen yo crowd sell we to Guatemala cause da lone pania we wa de talk “ again a boisterous laugh until his eyes watered. “No pay him mind mother-in-law & Ms Tency e only joking. . Not taking that joke Ms Tency went down the street towards her home. Turning towards Ms Mehitibel she mentioned fill me en weh gawn on da the meeting . Mek rest me foot first dear, Nathan get me a glass of water before a fill een yo wife and by the way Mr Price ask wen you wa come da we meetings. Fuming Pa Nathaniel went into the kitchen to get the water for his mom mumbling hmmm why he the ask fu me me no wah get mix up with dem atall . On the verandah Ms Mehitibel was filling her about the meeting and how wonderful Mr Price sound and how the crowd was really rilled up, as she was getting to the part about the sedition charges her son bought her water she took a big gulp while he sat again in his favorite veranda chair. Continuing she mentioned what Mr Price and the others said the Governor no happy with the editors of the Billboard because he seh they’re printing bad things about the Governor and the Royal family but we noh fraid fu dem. The Party and supporters will find the money cause we even hiring wa Jamaican lawyer. Hmm

Nathaniel shouted why not a Guatemalan lawyer and get money from them, again he laughed boisterously.

Back Den Pt 5 (September )

Pa Nathaniel peddling his bike from work whistling the tune🎶🎼 "It was the 10th Day of September 98 in Ano Domine when our forefathers🎶🎼" then pause as he double the lane he noticed bright blue and white flags flying in the breeze on his veranda, what the hell he muttered loudly hmmm ayee my mom I already told her me no wah see den deh flag especially during this time.Reaching home he pushed his bicycle against the steps and start shouting "Betty! Betty! weh the hell de go ahn" meanwhile taking the steps two at a time. Betty came out with her apron greeting her husband. "Evening dear "I'm making beef liver with onions and sweet pepper with Creole bread for tea your favorite" . "Betty no try sweet me up weh the go ahn with dey blue and white flag you know how pipple talk a no wah me boss pass ya and see the house decorate with dey Guatemalan flag, mek he tink me the support da Guatemala crowd", "Nathaniel you know yo boss no come this side a town" "yes" Nathaniel mentioned "but dey pipple weh work with me they wa pass then mek fun a me dah work suppose e reach me boss ears a cud be outa wa job",'

" Stop talk nonsense, fu mek yo feel betta a wah ask David and Tommy to hang two Union Jack da front".same time his mom came outside and the conversation shift to her,"Mom da one thing yo go listen to da PUP crowd but a no wah see dey colors pa me house pipple wa tink me the fallla da Guatemala/PUP crowd" "ayee son" mentioned his mom mek pipple talk, look how beautiful dey flags look same color of the sky, blue and white,all Mr Price wah gud fu wi we wah run the affairs of the country. Hearing Mr Price named Nathaniel fumed more look Ma me no trust da crowd strong rumors the talk out deh dat e the tek money from Guatemala,”Ahhh pipple will talk but dey one weh the grumble da deh sa one deh we deh suffer all Mr Price want da betterment fu we”with that said Nathaniel mentioned Betty gyal put up me tea a gwen go cool off da the club with me ballies and off he went. Tency meanwhile was scurrying up the street she gat hot news fu Mehitibel reaching the gate at the same time as Nathaniel was opening it she saw the blue and white flags flying in the wind , "cho Nathaniel luv see yo house dress up fu National Day" with that said Nathaniel got more angry “look Tency the day is St Georges Caye Day not National Day stop de mek da PUP crowd brainwashed unu with that said he jump on his bike and went towards the club thinking he said a wah give dey PUP hell da the club with a smile he peddled faster. David and Tommy came out with the Union Jack, they got strict instructions to put it on the front veranda, looking up Tency saw them and mentioned “hmmm da what with dah ugly flag “ “me granny seh we fu put it up Ms Tency” mentioned David. same time Mehitibel came out and saw Tency “gyal Tency weh yo the do out so late” ? “So da what with the Union Jack” “Tency gyal yo know me son,da fu he house so to compromise told him “two Union Jack no wa hurt but we blue and white flag got out da ugly flag” with that said both roar into laughter. So we bring yo out Tency gyal, hmmm things no to good ena the party Mr Goldson and Richardson left the party to form their own and Mr Smith fall out with Mr Price because Mr Smith want to support the Legislative Council in the Centenary celebration and Mr Price dey gainst it because that’s showing loyalty to England. But yo know we deh with Mr Price me no wa desert, Amen to dat Mehitibel mentioned. Remember we gwen parade on National Day gyal we gwen go march with Mr Price we wah show the governor we have we crowd.

Pa Nathaniel sitting in his usual chair on his veranda watching the passersby going to watch the parade and was waiting for his wife,Tommy,and David, looking up he saw Tency coming in her bright blue skirt and white blouse and her usual hankerchief tuck between her bosom seeing her he shouted Ma , Tency here coming out with same attire as Tency she grab her blue umbrella bidding farewell to Betty and the boys she wave at her son telling him bye also. Natnaniel , Betty and the boys made their way to watch the parade whilst standing a group of ladies along with their families came and stood by them waving the blue and white flag hmmm Betty mek we move on the other side me no wah me boss see me with this crowd mek e think me gone over to da PUP. Ayee Nathaniel you're taking this politics too far with that hey went cross the street to a more sparse crowd. Look David shouted-the parade coming it was the Governor sponsored parade with Union Jack waving look Nathaniel Betty mentioned there is your boss but wait isn't that Mr Smith from the PUP a wanda how come he with the Legislative Council crowd hmmm how come your Mom not filling me in . Nathaniel boss pass and waved at him and bid hello to his wife . Look like dey got wa lee crowd Betty gyal smiling dey still strong. About two hours ;later Tommy shouted look the PUP Parade coming wow look pa blue and white flag .Look , look Tommy shouted there's Granny and Ms Tency marching beside Mr Price ! they look like bodyguards, passing they wave to the boys, Nathaniel, and Betty who in return wave lawd Betty mentioned what a crowd this PUP the come on strong, this crowd five times bigger than the Governor parade. Watching Nathaniel shaking his head yes da true dis ya crowd huge hmmm very scary, da Mr Price da nothing fu mess with.

Back Den Pt 6 (Self-Government)

Ms Tency was visiting her best friend Mehitibel on a Sunday afternoon, sitting on the verandah with them were Nathaniel & his wife, as usual politics was the topic. Betty mentioned” Ms Tency & motherin law “how come unu no tell me unu party the bruk up, I saw Mr Smith parading with the Union Jack and the Governor crowd” “ Look like Mr Smith know something gyal Betty, notice how dey two kept we ena the dark” Nathaniel said then chuckled . Seems that got both Tency & Mehitibel hot both speaking at once “look ya“ realising they both speaking they laughed which was short lived. Tency continued “Mr Price no need dey traitors especially da Goldson & Richardson trying to form wa new Party hahaha again Mehitibel joined her in laughter da true look pa dey, we sweep dem and took over City Hall how dey wa match up against Mr Price. But things can’t right Mom mentioned Nathaniel “with Smith, Richardson & Goldson gone and rumors Mr Pollard jump ship too,the party seems things no too good” .”Look pa the parade 10th yo see the crowd fifty times bigger than da poco tempo parade weh mi son boss and the Governor try to outnumber us” fired back Mehitibel. “Da true Nathaniel” mentioned Betty “da parade mi huge”. Realising the truth Nathaniel shift his head to watch the passers by.

By the way Tency began the conversation again this ya news very hot e the smoke, hearing that Nathaniel turn his head towards the conversation once again “we hot Ms Tency Guatemala the come back fu dey flags unu march with” . Shut up and stop talk fool Nathaniel mentioned his mom, gyal go head Tency , yes Ms Tency mek we hear weh hot Betty dipped in. Me hear from good grounds Mr Price along with wa lee delegation along with the Governor gwen da England go meet fu mek we start to handle we affairs da yo call it Nathaniel, self self what? “Self Government” butt in Betty that would be nice but yo think the Governor will agree, ever since Adult Suffrage the Governor seeing the hand writing on the wall, he’s seeing we want fu run we own affairs and who knows Independence next, Mehitibel mentioned. Yes Mehitibel gyal a glad we the head ena the right direction da Mr Price really wa mek good fu we, look we kud a vote ena the last City Council election and the biggest news is a hear the general election the come up soon. Yes Nathaniel mentioned the Legislative Assembly will consist of 25 members 18 elected by local political parties, five nominated & two official members. Biggest news a hear the election wa be March 1961. Hear Mr Price even have the lee short man weh have wa hoarse voice e always deh with the rough and tuff street crowd, Mr Lindy Rogers . He the mek the waterfront workers Union joined we struggle Mr Betson deh pa board with we, Mr Price no the joke. Taking all this in Nathan began to think if Mr Betson & dey waterfront Union joined with PUP very scary, a wonder weh Mr Pollard have fu seh. Bringing his mind back to the conversation he heard Tency saying Herbert Fuller and the N.I. P. also the field candidates fu challenge PUP, mek dey come Mehitibel mentioned we wa sweep them and she showed the gesture like she’s holding a broom which bought laughter amongst them. Just as Mehitibel predicted in March the PUP swept all 18 seats making Mr Price First Minister Then in January 1964 Self Government was granted and he became Premier.

===============

Back Den (Hurricane Hattie)

by Eugene Trench

Tency, Mehitebel & Betty were sitting on the verandah chit chatting and watching the Monday morning workers and students going to work. Tency said" lawwd e only hot fu ena October a think the lee north would a come to cool we off". Fanning with a piece of cardboard Mehitibel mentioned " da true Tency gyal e really hot thank God we're in the end of October and de Hurricane Season the look like done, how the lee nurseay rhyme go again" Betty smiled and mentioned "I remember it and she began to sing it 🎼🎼 June too soon, July & August prepare, September is here, October all over.🎼🎼 Joining her Tency & Mehitibel began humming and singing the tune. Looking down the street Betty saw her husband Nathaniel peddaling his bicycle with speed, glancing at the clock in the parlour she noticed it wasn't midday yet infact it was just midmorning. Hmmm she uttered a wanda weh Natnaniel the come home so early hope e no feel sick. Looking Tency and Mehitibel saw him coming with a speed also,"a hope so to Betty gyal" mentioned his mom. Reaching the gate he race up the stairs two steps at a time trying to catch his breath, reaching the top he sat down in his favorite chair on the verandah took off his Panama Hat and began fanning himself. " Da weh the rush fa Nathaniel" Betty said. "Yes Nathaniel we see yo the speed up like yo the ride Cross Country race" mentioned Tency and end it with a chuckle.

Breathing normal Nathaniel mentioned unu no the listen to the radio Betty, Tency & Mom wah Storm the come they already raise the Red Flag da Courthouse Wharf, we have to move fast fum board up the windows, get groceries, full up water bottles and get kerosene fu the lamps da weh David & Tommy deh a wah need help fu board up the windows" grasping what Nathaniel just mentioned the three ladies shouted in union, "Storm d come lawd" Mehitibel mentioned Tency go get some clothes and lock up yo house you can stay here with us at least our house is 10 feet off the ground and Nathaniel after 1931 Hurricane fixa up real good yo notice the cement casing around the post and the angle iron weh hold the beam we wah survive ena dis house" "Betty mek out the grocery list and mek a hurry go dah Don Matus Store go get flour, bread, batteries,kerosene, corn beef, luncheon meat, soda biscuit, potted meat, eggs, and some other tin food stuff cause we no know weh wa happen and find Tommy & David and ask them to tek out the ladder and the board from the lee warehouse with the nails after the grocery buying a wah board up, Ma put on the radio and tun up the volume a wah hear weh the weather people deh seh." Tency got up hurriedly and bid farewell to secure her little shack and belongings, "wait" Tency mentioned " before David & Tommy get the stuff fu board up a wa mek dey help yo put up yo things memba put yo stove and clothes up high pan d table and secure yo windows, David ! Tommy!" shouted Mehitibel "yes" they answered from downtairs, they were playing marbles go with Ms Tency and help her then mekase come back fu help Nathaniel . "Yes Gramma" they mentioned. Just as Nathaniel was going out with the list he heard the radio announcer mentioned " we interrupt this broadcast for a very special announcement" since Tency didnt left yet she along with Nathan, Mehitibel & Betty went closer to the radio listening, The Premier, Mr Price came on in a somber voice informing the nation that a disturbance had formed in the Caribbean and was moving in a northwesterly direction and British Honduras could be in danger, he announced all living in houses that cannot take storm breeze and high water to start packing and move to Hurricane Shelters which the government had designated, take only some clothes, water and food stuff I'm sorry no pets allowed, the Belize Weather Service will update you all". Well seems we are in for a storm mentioned Nathaniel mek a hurry go da de grocery shop before crowd come which I figured is already crowded, leaving he took the grocery bag swung it across his bicycle handle and pedalled towards the shop. Reaching the grocery shop Nathaniel uttered a few curse words under his breath damn he took off his hat and scratch his head what a crowd was already there shouting, to Don Matus and his workers wanted them to serve them first it was chaos, looking up Don Matus saw Nathaniel and wave to him to come by where he was, opening up the door which seperate the customer area from the groceries section he told Nathaniel to help gather his groceries and he will charge when hes finished that didnt went well with a few patrons and the hissing of teeth and a few not so nice words to Tony Matus . After getting his groceries a couple hours later and paid Nathaniel hurry sped back home, glancing up he notice blue skies and a light breeze blowing muttering to himself he wondered if a real storm coming because the weather so good with the sun shining and cool wind blowing, only strange thing he noticed there wasn't a bird insight not even the Jankro that usually fly high in the sky . Pedalling he hurried home to start boarding up the windows hoping David and Tommy finished helping Ms Tency and took out the boards, ladder, hammer and nails.

After windows board up the windows, water gallons filled, groceries packed the crew sat on the verandah watching the last minute shoppers and people on their way to Hurricane Shelters. Tommy and David excited about the Hurricane start to say "to get rid of Hurricane beat up Harry and tek weh e cane", this brought laughter from the elders as they knew what a Hurricane was after been through that terrible 1931 Hurricane when thousands of lives were lost. It was on September 10th when the country was celebrating the Centenary although the real Centenary was in 1898 the older folks like Tency & Mehitibel still called it that. The children had just finished marching when the weather changed and many scramble to reach home and to the shelters. The Jesuit College, St John's College was at Yarborough and when the eye of the Hurricane passed all thought it was over then a big tidal wave came with the tail of the Hurricane and drowned a lot of priests and students, Mr Price manage to survive the Hurricane by waddling through the waters until he reached safely home it was indeed a sad day for the country . Still sitting on the verandah night has set in, and the passers by became less as all were either at the designated shelters or seeking refuge at family or friends homes. Betty and Mehitibel glad Nathaniel had invested in the house by putting it high on 10 feet posts and having the posts secured in cement foundation or else they too would have joined the crowd at the shelters .

The radio was at its loudest as each update provided Nathaniel was plotting it on a Hurricane Chart he had, hmmmm this Storm seems shifting a little more north he mentioned look like we might no get wah direct hit, sounds good mentioned Betty a hope so. Around a little past midnight the lights went out and the city in total darkness the radio went out , hurry put batteries in the radio Nathaniel mentioned to her son we can't miss anything. The batteries place in the radio and all was heard was a muzzled sound it seems the damn radio station went off too let me see if I could pick up Voice Of America VOA) maybe dey Americans can update but to no avail nothing mentioned Nathaniel .

With David & Tommy snoring, Nathaniel, Betty,Tency & Mehitibel still up heard a loud bang and breeze picked up it was about 2:00a.m. Tuesday October 31st. The full force of the Hurricane made landfall with winds howling outside even the wooden house shake a bit, hmmm Tency mentioned this feel like 1931 Hurricane and even stronger, dah true Tency gyal mentioned Mehitibel definitely felt so. This wind feels over 100 miles mentioned Nathaniel this ya storm serious with worried looks all watching the Hurricane Lantern on the table like it was a Crystal Ball telling the future. Outside the wind howled with frightening noise and trees , branches and zincs off rooftops could be heard, peeping through the window Nathan could see the zincs flying through the air like kites as the lightning provided some light outside. This continued and a tidal wave seems to come at the same time, come look Nathaniel mentioned the water rising, all looking through the window they saw the water rising, coming up step by step until it reach the last step before the verandah and it seems to stop, a breath of relief came from the lookers inside. About five a.m. the rain eased to a drizzle and the winds died down to a mere cool wind, opening the front door the crowd came out and was shocked to what they saw, houses toppled, trees branches across the road, utility poles and wires crisscrossing on the streets, houses without roofs it was a disaster. All saying a prayer for being spared they sat on the verandah watching silently hoping their friends and others were ok.

Somehow the Radio Station manage to come back on year and the Premier was addressing the nation about the damages and the storm has passed, but telling all to remain in the shelters and homes as its dangerous to be outside. After the announcement Tency mentined lawwd me lee house mussi gone, no worry Tency mentioned Nathaniel you could stay ya till we know weh the damage is. Still on the verandah they silently watch the devastation and wonder weh the Premier and Govenor wah do fu help the people.

[Linked Image]

Re: "Back Den" by Eugene Trench [Re: Marty] #554061
11/19/21 11:27 AM
11/19/21 11:27 AM
oregon, spr
Marty Online happy OP

Marty  Online Happy OP
Back Den (Garifuna Settlement Day)

As usual Pa Nathaniel, Betty, Mehetibel and the young boys were hanging out on the veranda when Nathaniel mentioned “ Look Ma yo ace deuce d come hmm e only dress up ena e yellow & black outfit “ getting up and leaning on the veranda rail Mehitibel smiled when she saw her friend. Reaching the gate Mehitibel mentioned to David “go help Ms Tency come up stairs “ “tenk yo gyal Mehitibel lawd a need wa lee help fu climb dey steps, come David mek a hold yo hand unu young a strong “. Reaching upstairs Pa Nathaniel gave Tency her seat and he grab a stool which was in the corner the same one Mehitibel take to meeting. “Tency gyal da weh yo gwen so early” “gyal a wah go da the Mass weh da Garifuna d got da the Catholic Cathedral den a wah see if a cud parade wit them but the knees thinking otherwise” she mentioned with a little chuckle .Listening keenly David asked da who da the Garifuna and why Creole people called them “kerob” Pa Nathaniel butted in, “David all this began because the British people treated them like the worst kind they created fictional stories like they practiced cannibalism”. “Weh da cannibalism”asked David,”that’s when people eat people”mentioned Betty, “ugh”David said .laughing Nathaniel continued let me give you wa lee history the Gariganu are the people and Garifuna is the culture they are a mixture of African slaves & Arawack Indians of the Caribbean. The Garifuna people trace their ancestry to West African and indigenous Arawak people. Around 1635, two Spanish ships carrying West Africans destined for North America, were wrecked near St. Vincent in the West Indies. Over the next 150 years the settlers began intermarrying, and the Garifuna ethnic group was formed. True Nathaniel his mom dipped in “but e no done deh David on St Vincent the Caribs had a famous Chief named Joseph Chatoyer it was said that the British had cattle on the island and they made their cattle trampled and destroyed the cassava plantations of the people which got them mad, and the Chief did nothing that irritates his wife who boldly approached him and start to quarrel with him “look husband what the British is doing is total shame if you no have no bolas to confront them give me your cutlass and gun let me go fight them” Tency dipped in “yes from dey days women have better bolas than men “ what’s bolas David mentioned Betty looked at Nathaniel you explained.” “That’s when you have determination and fighting power “Nathaniel mentioned hurriedly” continue Tency” smiling.Continuing, yes she was strong Chief Chatoyer feeling weak decided to go and fight the British with his braves he was winning the battle when a British soldier shot him and he was killed today he always remembered as a proud Chief . Nathaniel continued the conversation after that in

1660, the British granted the Garifuna people “perpetual possession” of the island of St. Vincent, however less than a decade later, the British broke this treaty and reclaimed the island of St. Vincent. Because of their prominence of the island and their successful fishing and farming practices, the British saw the Garifuna as a threat to their colonial mission and began to exile the nearly 5,000 Garifuna people to the island of Roatán, off the coast of Honduras. From Roatán, the Garifuna began to migrate to the mainland of Honduras and continued to spread out along the Caribbean coast to Belize, Guatemala, and Nicaragua. The first Garifuna people arrived in Belize on November 19th, 1802 in the town of Dangriga, which is considered to be the spiritual capital of the Belizean Garifuna people. When they came to British Honduras the British handled them terribly they were only confined to the Stann Creek District and couldn’t be on the streets after six o clock in the evenings . Thanks to another great Garifuna leader Thomas Vincent Ramos known as T.V.Ramos did he invent the TV David blurted out this brought laughter chorusly amongst the elders, no David his mom answered he was born in Puerto Cortez but he became a citizen of Belize and is the founder of Garifuna Settlement Day which we celebrated today, do you know that he lobbied the then British government for a holiday and it was granted to celebrate only in the Stann Creek District and later on when we got self government in 1964 the whole country was given the holiday in 1977. Thanks to Mr Price Tency butted in. Why most Garinagus are Roman Catholic asked David ? Nathaniel answered because the Catholic Church was expanding their education system they needed teachers and because they were looked down on the Catholics gave them jobs that’s why majority of them are Catholics.You see the starch me press yo uniform with Mehitibel mentioned da dey same ladies from Stann Creek bring it to sell very good ah proud a dem, good people me love their cooking . Why people like seh dey do obeah again asked David Another downgrade mek we Farid fu them said Tency, actually they have a ceremony “Dugu” honoring their dead it’s a religious ceremony. Peeping at the clock in the parlor Tency noticed the time ayee e late mek a hurry go dah this Mass a wah wa seat cause dis old knee a can’t stand up and u know the church wa crowded. Bye you all, wait fu me and Tency a wah accompany yo .

Happy Garifuna Settlement Day to All Belizean at Home & Abroad”

[Linked Image]

Links
Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
Maruba Beach Klub and Spa is the premiere Secret Beach spa and restaurant located on the crystal blue waters of the Caribbean Sea at the center of Secret Beach, Belize
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler

Things to do
Specials & Events
Calendar
SPTB Calendar of Events

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
ReefTV
Love FM
The Reporter
PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
To Get Your Questions Answered

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
Cayo Event Calendar

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Belize Happy Adventures
Conch Creative
Caribbean Culture & Lifestyle
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We handle all aspects of the purchase of your Real Estate in Belize. From in depth property searches to your final closing.
Click for Ian Anderson's Caves Branch, Welcome to a World of Adventure
Lil Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
ShoutChat Box
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (elbert), 118 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics78,339
Posts498,330
Members20,264
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.