Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
[Linked Image]
"The Belize Investment Summit 2021 is a first of its kind event focusing on attracting and promoting investment for economic development in Belize. "

https://www.investmentsummit.bz/about.html

November 10-11, at the Grand Caribe in San Pedro

Belize is the best bet for business...offering the best of two regions and worlds. A literal and figurative bridge between Central America and the Caribbean. A bilingual oasis with the beauty of stable government...from the roars of our rainforests to the rumble of our reef.

"Our strategic location, bountiful natural terrestrial, mineral, and marine resources, a young vibrant population, and an investor-friendly government enable an abundance of opportunities that make us uniquely attractive as an investment destination. The Government of Belize prioritizes economic development and is making the necessary legal, policy, and procedural changes, to create an environment that is conducive to doing business in Belize."

Hon. John Briceno
Prime Minister of Belize

CLIC HERE for a 15 page, 2.8mb PDF about the Belize Investment Summit

The Belize Investment Summit 2021 is a first of its kind event focusing on attracting and promoting investment for economic development in Belize. This high-profile occasion is being led by the Office of the Prime Minister and the Ministry of Finance, Investment and Economic Development under the theme: "Belize is Open for Business", a call to both local and international investors for identifying opportunities and for the government to showcase Belize's readiness to support global investment through vastly improved service delivery.

The Summit will be delivered in a hybrid virtual and face-to-face setting allowing participants the advantage of an in person networking among investors, government officials and other key economic agents.

The Summit will feature an address by the Prime Minister highlighting the government's vision on enhanced and strategic investments, presentations from other high-profile international experts, public officials such as Chief Executive Officers, policy makers and enterprise movers and shakers who together shape the investment climate in Belize. This will be complemented by industry-specific presentations, an Expo at which you can learn about highlight sectors, how to invest and the opportunity for robust connecting across investment stakeholders both in the public and private sectors.

The Belize Investment Summit will bring together business investors from the United States of America, Mexico, Central America, the Caribbean, Europe, Asia and the Middle East. The aim is to make this an annual event that highlights industry development, technology and innovation and an improved business climate for safe, secure and sustainable investments.

Belize is Open for Business and we welcome you with open arms. Be sure to make the most of this great opportunity to plan your next investment!!

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Regional Investors Expected at Investment Summit in November

The Investment Policy amendments presented today are timely as Belize's first Investment Summit is scheduled to begin in just two weeks in San Pedro. That event is expected to draw interest from investors not only from Belize, but also from the region.

Lincoln Blake, Dir., Investment Policy & Compliance Unit

"Belize needs a push in its economic growth right now and this is one of the initiatives that we have of many. Of course, we have interests from not only foreign but also local investors to participate in this event because this event - I call it a meeting place for investors, where there might be business ideas or there might be business prospects or concepts and those individuals could meet with investors that actually could find a source of funding. The idea is to have that location or that meeting place where they could meet and they could make the actual investment happen. And we have a lot of interest from Central America, Mexico, especially considering that the Prime Minister had recently visited there. We have the Chambers of Commerce especially from Guatemala and Mexico having significant interest in participating in this event. We also have interests from the United States and some from other countries."

The event will be a hybrid one, involving investors attending in person and virtually. Potential investors who would like to register online to take part in the Investment Summit can do so by visiting the website at: http://investmentsummit.bz

Channel 5

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
CEO of Tourism on Belize Investment Summit

Belize is doing its best to send the message that it is open for business. As such, the Ministry of Tourism is anticipating significant investments in the nation's most lucrative industry, tourism. In about a week's time, Belize will be hosting investors, speakers, dignitaries, and policymakers from all over the globe at the country's first-ever investment summit. The event will feature industry-specific presentations, investor matchmaking sessions, networking events, and startup business features. CEO in the Ministry of Tourism, Nicole Solano, who is also a moderator on the tourism panel, spoke about how the ministry is preparing for the event.

The event's keynote speaker will be the former Prime Minister of Canada Stephen Harper.

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

CEO of Impact Junkie - A panelist for the Belize Investment Summit
Philip Harding - Founder and CEO of Impact Junkie

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
[Linked Image]

Former Canada Prime Minister Stephen Harper arrives on Ambergris Caye ahead of Investment Summit

The Right Honourable Stephen Joseph Harper, former Prime Minister of Canada, is in San Pedro Town, Ambergris Caye, to participate in the upcoming Belize Investment Summit. With Harper as the keynote speaker, the event takes place on November 10th and 11th in northern Ambergris Caye.

The 62-year-old former head of the Canadian government arrived via a Maya Island Air flight around 3:30PM in San Pedro, where he was welcomed by Canadian nationals, special guests, and local authorities. Mayor Gualberto 'Wally' Nu�ez was also present to welcome PM Harper to Isla Bonita. Following the brief greeting, Harper was whisked away to his hotel under a tight security detail.

Click here to read the rest of the article in the San Pedro Sun

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Investment Summit Begins Wednesday in San Pedro

The first ever Investment Summit, featuring international personalities and business interests from several countries will open in San Pedro on Wednesday. The two-day event will include speeches by local government officials, and keynote speaker, Stephen Harper of Harper and Associates. The event is expected to attract business to Belize by removing some of the bureaucratic measures that sometimes turn investors away. Over the next two days, Belizean business people will be meeting with their counterparts, both in person and in virtual sessions to discuss potential business and investment opportunities in Belize. News Five's Marion Ali will be there.

The first ever Investment Summit, featuring international personalities and business interests from several countries will open in San Pedro on Wednesday. The two-day event will include speeches by local government officials, and keynote speaker, Stephen Harper of Harper and Associates. The event is expected to attract business to Belize by removing some of the bureaucratic measures that sometimes turn investors away. Over the next two days, Belizean businesspeople will be meeting with their counterparts, both in person and in virtual sessions to discuss potential business and investment opportunities in Belize.

Channel 5

E
E
Please keep us posted. This is wonderful news for San Pedro <3

Emma
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
LIVE: Day 1 of the Belize Investment Summit, 10th November 2021.

The Belize Investment Summit 2021 is an event focusing on attracting and promoting economic development in Belize through local and foreign direct investments in the country's priority and new growth industries.

The summit is being held at Grand Caribe in San Pedro, Ambergris Caye and due to Covid-19 restrictions this is a HYBRID event and only presenters, investors and key representatives have been allowed on site.

Other stakeholders have been able to participate virtually.

Panel discussion on Belize's Investment Landscape with was headed by:

Dr. Leroy Almendarez
Mr. Ishmael Quiroz
Mr. Lincoln Blake
Mr. Sean Feinstein

The Women in Business Power Panel at the Belize Investment Summit 2021 held in San Pedro, Ambergris Caye included: Ms. Umeeda Switlo, Ms. Maria Estella Recinos, Mrs. Kim Aikman, Ms. Katherine Meighan and Ms. Kay Menzies.

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Belize's First Investment Summit Kicks Off

This evening, representatives of the Government and members of the local and international business community are enjoying an evening of relaxation in San Pedro, reflecting on the first day of the first Belize Investment Summit.

As we told you, that's an event that the Briceno Government is hoping will heat up Belize's investment climate. Our news team was in San Pedro for the first day of activities which lasted a continuous 9 hours.

Tomorrow, we'll have a deep dive into the event, but for tonight's coverage of the first-ever summit, we have an excerpt of the keynote addresses from Prime Minister Briceno and the Guest Speaker, Stephen Harper, the former Canadian Prime Minister:

Hon. John Briceno, Prime Minister
"I am truly excited to host the first ever Belize Investment Summit. I am eve more excited to see the interest that has been generated through our digital and face to face marketing which is evidence by your presence here and virtually. We change with the times and so today we are engaged in what is truly a hybrid event. You see we are fully convinced that we can create an environment conducive to economic transformation. Investment provides an opportunity for growth in micro, small, medium and large enterprises. I am convinced that if we create initiatives which include access to finance and a more seamless enabling mechanism that we can rebuild our economy with MSMEs at its foundation and without compromising economic initiatives of the larger enterprises. We also must look at the non-traditional industries and shouldn't forget the contribution of the service industries to our gross domestic product. This first of a kind summit is being hosted under the theme "Belize Open for Business". I know some of you may be asking why open for business? aren't you always for business? Well, the answer is simple. The covid19 pandemic has negatively affected economies worldwide and for developing countries like ours it is no different. I think it's not only more different, but it's even more challenging for our small developing countries like Belize. The global downturns affect us where supply chains quickly become disruptive causing challenge to trade. In addition, we hear about doing business in Belize and the challenges it has posed for investors both foreign and local. These challenges create problems and make us not as competitive as we should be. Our government's response is crucial. For this reason, cabinet is focused and our approach is all in. It's all hands on deck."

Rt. Hon. Stephen Harper, Former PM, Canadian Government
"As we all know the tourist industry is a great provider of lots of jobs, but they are often large quantities of low paying jobs. There are other opportunities in sectors and the real opportunity for Belize, one frankly that I see reflected in a lot of current policies is getting some portion of that wealthy tourist segment to relocate here. In some cases, to start businesses but in others to at least use a greater volume of higher end professional services like accountants, investment managers, lawyers, medical professionals - lot of growth in those areas could significantly add to the growth you see here in business processing operations. But to fully seize that kind of opportunity I suggest a deliberate and strategic focus on your education sector. Attracting foreign expertise is important, but don't lose sight of Belize's successful model of integration and economic participation. Ensure that your own citizens have the opportunity to develop the skills that align with your economy starting with expertise."

Channel 7

PM Brice�o Opens Investment Summit

The first ever Belize Investment Summit opened today on La Isla Bonita, San Pedro with potential investors arriving from around the hemisphere. The convergence is designed to attract much-needed capital for Belize's development post-COVID and diversify the economy. Prime Minister John Brice�o opened the Summit by saying Belize has many advantages, yes, but he was unyielding when it comes to investors who might want to change Belize too much to suit their own plans.

Prime Minister John Brice�o

"The issue of the rule of law; the parliamentary system that we have; we have a stable economic system of governance; we are English-speaking; and that we are uniquely placed in Central America, having access to the United States - the largest economy in the world, Mexico, the rest of Central America and the Caribbean, so there are so many opportunities that we have and as a small country, we are small enough to be nimble enough to make the necessary changes that the COVID-19 pandemic expects of small countries like ours."

Marion Ali

"Sir, some investors, particularly in infrastructure development are adamant in getting their way when it comes to development, infrastructure. How do we as a small country not compromise the conservation laws that protect us and actually make Belize stand out as a pristine location?"

Prime Minister John Brice�o

"Well, that is for us, non-negotiable, that you come to Belize not to go to a shopping mall. You come to Belize because of the natural beauty that our Creator has blessed us with. And now we have a moral responsibility to future generations to protect it. In my speech at COP26, that's the very point that we're making. We small countries are doing our part and now you have the bigger, developed countries don't want to do their part. We have the opportunity in Belize to be able to have what you call twenty-twenty vision. We've seen what they have done wrong and now we have to ensure that we do not make those mistakes, which lead now to your question about the developers that come to Belize and want to put infrastructure in many instances recklessly or the way they want. If that's the kind of infrastructure investment that you want to come to Belize and do, you are not welcome."

Stephen Harper on How Belize Can Capitalize on International Exposure

Keynote Speaker at today's Investment Summit was former Canadian Prime Minister, Stephen Harper, who has a consulting and advisory company in Canada. He focused on the measures that Belize needs to take to capitalize on maximizing its exposure to the rest of the world and reaping the benefits of that exposure.

Stephen Harper, Keynote Speaker

"I don't really see the country doing anything wrong, but what I have seen in a lot of places, especially when it comes to infrastructure, is government is trying to do too much themselves. And not only is that costly, but sometimes you can just be way off market and the investments just don't turn out the way they should which is why I recommended in many of these areas, the government in these areas in its investment must do human physical digital infrastructure that would try to involve the private sector to make sure that the investments are really gonna be cost effective."

Marion Ali

"Some of our restrictions compared to other countries are thought to be a bit restrictive, a bit strict for visitors. Do you think mask wearing is one of them? And, a lot of the tourists that come here are not prepared to abide by the COVID restrictions that we have. Do you think that will be a hindrance for us, and what advice would you have on that?"

Stephen Harper

"I run an international business, and before COVID, I was traveling seventy percent of the time. It's really only since the middle of September that I have been able to travel widely again. So I don't think the fact that restrictions have been difficult here is not unique. There have been difficult restrictions in a lot of places. I must tell you that in terms of countries that I have gone to recently, this was relatively easy to come to in terms of testing. Mask wearing, we may not like it, but it's not hard to do. But you know, there are lots more countries that have much more difficult testing and vaccination requirement so I personally haven't found it that difficult to come here. But, these COVID regulations are all a temporary phenomenon anyway. Six months from now, I think we'll be past it all."

Leader of the Opposition Attends Investment Summit

Also present at the official launch of the Belize Investment Summit was Leader of the Opposition Patrick Faber. While he is usually one of the government's toughest critics, today he was being a team player. He spoke to reporters at the event.

Patrick Faber, Leader of the Opposition

"You are correct in referring to us as the harshest critic of the government. By the nature of our position, as I've always maintained, that when we need to unite for Belize, we will be there for that. And, so far as things have been happening with this summit, I hope that we are a team player, that we are a partner in helping to get things rebound in Belize's economy, and clearly an event like this is a very costly one, and those criticisms will come, I am sure. But, we believe that if this kind of investment will yield the kind of productivity, the kind of investment that the government is hoping to achieve here, then it might be all worth it."

Local Businesses Hoping to Gain From International Investments

The Summit is something that business people in the agriculture sector have been waiting for. People like Ernest Thiessen who represent some three hundred dairy farmers, and Hazelita Kuylen, whose rice and corn production company needs investment dollars in order to thrive.

Ernest Thiessen, Belize Dairy Association

"At the moment we're only producing about twenty percent of the consumption of milks in Belize that is produced in the local market, and so there is quite a bit of interest in growing the industry. Therefore, we would like to see if we could either partner or have someone do investments on behalf, and the country can grow and create more jobs and keep the dollar home and more so that we could have sustainable job creation."

Hazelita Kuylen, Representative, Belize Sunrise Ltd.,

"There is a lot of shortage of corn in Guatemala and Mexico and also rice. So, we have a lot of contacts, both in Mexico and Guatemala, that have contacted us personally, myself and my other two business associates, and they are willing to purchase all the rice and the corn that we produce one we are in production. Hence, the reason we are here, looking for investment in order to form our own rice, package it, padded rice or packaged rice, corn, be it for animal feed or for human consumption."

Channel 5

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Live: Day 2 of the Belize Investment Summit, 11th November 2021

Day 2 of the Belize Investment Summit Afternoon Session, 11th November 2021.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.