Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#55397 07/28/02 08:09 PM
T
toad Offline OP
OP Offline
T
but if i were i would like to be a dog on Ambergris Caye....

please tell me what all the fuss is about...those were the fattest f-ing dogs i have ever seen....

yes, i did see a few scraggly ones, but, i saw a few scraggly people too....

as i pointed out earlier(way earlier)if people would put their time, money, and energy into helping others(people) who need it, then they would be able to help all of Gods creatures including other people...

give man a fish and feed him for a day, teach him to fish and feed him for life...

i'll bet he would share with his furry friends too...

peacetoad

#55398 07/28/02 09:11 PM
If I could grant your wish I would. Six months would be plenty of time for you to get your fill of being a dog in San Pedro.

You may have seen some healthy dogs while you were here. A lot of those belong to people who have migrated here with there pets and they treat their dogs as members of their families. Some do belong to local members of the community that actually care for their pets. But it is not the norm.

Belize as a whole does not think about animals the same way you are used to in the states.
This is slowly changing through education and hard work on the part of the veterinarians in Belize. Most of the progress is being made with children and young people. They have been going to the schools and educating the kids on the care of animals and how nice it is to have a pet.
Bronwen, the vet in San Pedro has set up an adoption program where kids can come and pick a pet out. She instructs them face to face on caring for the animal makes sure the animal is brought in for check ups and just to see how they are doing. It's been a big success from what I hear and the kids are really enjoying it.

Through educating the children, the parents are slowly learning as well. There is a definate difference in the attitudes concerning animals on the island and animals in Belize City.
Maybe one day Belize City will have the same success as we have had here. I sure hope so.

There are places that are surely worse for animals, but I think it's far from perfect here. It takes time to change attitudes that have been in place for years.

#55399 07/28/02 09:26 PM
T
toad Offline OP
OP Offline
T
are we seeing the point yet? it is the people who have needs that should be met first...then, they can help others(this means animals too)

#55400 07/28/02 09:44 PM
NO, I don't see your point at all.
What needs is it specifically that you think these people need?

#55401 07/29/02 08:07 AM
I hope this does not come across as controversial or futher complicate this issue, but I must say that some of you have a completly different view of the life of a San Pedrona than I. Most of the "San Pedronos" have a lifestyle well above the Belize standard due to developing a very successful tourist industry and the resulting increase in property values. There even exists in Belize an envy of the San Pedronos. Most all of the "poorer" people you see on AC are people from impoverished parts of Belize and Central America that have moved to AC because of the job opportunities. The education a child receives in San Pedro is probably better than alot of places in the US. I have a grandaughter in the US the same age as a friend's daughter in San Pedro. My friends daughter is far ahead in her studies. AC is not a cheap place to live by any means, but if you do not have to have foods that are imported from the US, you can eat healthy at a resonable cost. I can fix you a meal of rice, beans and chicken that is alot more healthy and costs less than going to McDonalds. I think if you surveyed the San Pedronos, a majority would say they are very happy living there and feel they are very proud of the way they are raising their children and most of the problems that they need to solve are created by outside infuences or others trying to tell them how to live and run their lives.

#55402 07/29/02 09:36 AM
I am not refering to any one person's views or comments here as it has been a combination of views that have caused me to reflect on these issues. It just seems to me that many people, especially people from more affluent countries or backgrounds, have a perception of life and how it should be lived and what it's priorities are and tend to view other peoples lives thru that view, and in some cases, try to impose those priorities on others. Lifestyles, customs, standard's of living, and how one lives in general is relevant to that persons life. There is alot of good that those of us with the meens can do to help others. There is also alot of resentment that can be caused, if in our attempts to help, we do not take the time to understand what help is wanted. Even if we perceive a need for help, if that help is not wanted, maybe we would be better off directing our efforts in other areas. Again, these are just rambling thoughts of mine and do not necessarily apply to any particular issues here.

[This message has been edited by bywarren (edited 07-29-2002).]

#55403 07/29/02 10:03 AM
T
toad Offline OP
OP Offline
T
well, i need another week or so on AC..and i would greatly appreciate it!

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 351 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.