[Linked Image]

Mother and son power duo artists from Houston, Texas visited San Pedro, Ambergris Caye this past week, leaving something behind they hope will brighten up islander's spirits and bring a little character to the island community. They completed a mural on the face of a warehouse where they depicted a couple of their most inspirational portraits.

Sylvia completed another tribute to the late Selena, one of her favorite characters to paint. She added a touch of Belize to it by adding a few black orchids to her side of the mural. On the other end of the building, Alex featured one of his signature portraits of Tupac Shakur in the style of Pablo Picasso to make "PACasso". "I believe art like this makes people happy," commented Mukul Kanabar, island businessman, who met the Romans in Houston a while back. He had been wanting to bring them to San Pedro for a while now, but the pandemic delayed his plans.

Click here to read the rest of the article in the Ambergris Today

========================

[Linked Image]

Houston's Donkeeboy and Donkeemom make their mark in San Pedro

The two murals paying tribute to Selena and 2Pac are on a building owned by San Pedro's well-known philanthropists and entrepreneurs, Kelly McDermott Kanabar and Mukul Kanabar. The Kanabars are actually very good friends with the Romans and have had been planning to host the artists on the island for quite some time. Mukul was said the mural images were chosen to promote peace, happiness, and hopefully can serve as inspiration for aspiring artists. The subject matters are beloved to San Pedranos. In fact, 2Pac visited Ambergris Caye in the 1990's along with other famous entertainers like Snoop Dogg. Although her life was tragically cut short, Selena's timeless music is beloved on the island. That love was felt when her brother A.B Quintanilla III and his band the Kumbia Kings, performed on the island at the annual International Costa Maya Festival in August of 2005.

The murals took several days to complete, and although there were a few hiccups on the way, like unpredictable weather conditions, Alex and his mother Sylvia managed to complete the project one day before their return to Houston on Sunday, November 21st. Alex told The San Pedro Sun about his painting portraying the late 2Pac. He explained that it is a combination of two great artists: 2Pac and Pablo Picasso. Alex calls his painting style a "remix" - in this case, 2Pac in the style of Picasso, which makes the end product a 'PACasso.' "I wanted to put both of them on the highest pedestal," said Alex. "When I heard that 2Pac is big here in Belize, for me was like the perfect thing, because I already had this piece I had been working on forever and it just felt like the right thing to do and paint it here." Alex said he started getting into painting from when he was a kid, and by the age of 13 he was already selling his works. Alex felt the passion for painting after growing up looking at his mother's paintings. "It's something she instilled me from since I was a kid," he said. Alex added that for the past 10 years, he has been working as an artist full time.

Click here to read the rest of the article in the San Pedro Sun