Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#554099 11/22/21 05:21 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Nominations Open for the James A. Waight Award 2022

Know any outstanding conservation champions? Now's the time to nominate them for the Belize Audubon Society's James A. Waight Award. Nominations are open until December 17th.

"We are excited to announce that we are opening public nominations today, for the 2022 James A. Waight Award.

This award is presented annually in the memory of one of the Society's founding members, Mr. James A. Waight, to individuals or organizations in recognition of significant contribution, nationally or locally, to the conservation and enhancement of Belize's environment."

[Linked Image]

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Annual James Waight Award is Just around the Corner

On February sixteenth, the Belize Audubon Society will host the annual James Waight Awards Ceremony.� The virtual event recognizes exemplary Belizeans in the area of conservation and environmental awareness. The first award was issued in 1987, and since then as many as thirty-four persons have received awards.

Amanda Acosta, Executive Director, Belize Audubon Society

"The awards ceremony that we're celebrating is the James A. Waight Award. It is a local award issued to Belizean residents, citizens, it's open to Belizeans and it's really about highlighting great work happening in the country.� We're always surrounded by a bit of bad news here and there and COVID and the pandemic hasn't helped the mood, and so this is really to just highlight something positive, to highlight work that happens in the communities and around the country. The award is named after James A. Waight.� James A. Waight is one of the founding members of the Belize Audubon Society. He was the first president of the society and so it's really kind of homage in honor of him.� It is actually celebrated on February sixteenth, which is his birthday, and so the award has centered around that date for a couple decades now. The first award was issued in 1987. Every year, we post out a nomination call and we have the local Belizeans nominate names and there is a set criteria that is used for selecting the nominee or for the awardee. The awardee, basically we are looking for someone who works in their community, someone who has championed the environment, be it a species, an ecosystem, pollution, whatever calling they have basically."

Channel 5

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
[Linked Image]

36th James A. Waight Conservation Award Ceremony

The 36th annual James A. Waight Conservation Award Ceremony celebrates outstanding Belizeans whose life, work and passion have positively impacted Belize.

Today at 2pm
https://www.facebook.com/events/457808339415198/

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
LIVE: The 36th James A. Waight Conservation Award Ceremony

The 36th annual James A. Waight Conservation Award Ceremony celebrates outstanding Belizeans whose life, work and passion have positively impacted Belize.

The Winner is Elito Arceo of San Pedro!!!!!

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
[Linked Image]

Elito Arceo Awarded James A. Waight Conservation Award

The 36th annual James A. Waight Conservation Award Ceremony by the Belize Audubon Society celebrates outstanding Belizeans whose life, work and passion have positively impacted Belize. This year's recipient of the award is San Pedro, Ambergris Caye resident Elito Arceo for his significant contribution to the conservation and enhancement of Belize's environment.

Elito Arceo is a leader in the island community in so many aspects; exemplary in his devotion to protect the natural resources of the island. He works for his community and truly believes the values and ethics of conservation in this country. He is known for his love of the island and his long-life efforts in preserving its natural beauty and the envitorment though is many initiatives, including beach clean ups, fostering the protection of mangroves, and involving students in the island-wide conservation activities. Elito was also awarded Person of the Year 2006 by Ambergris Today. Congratulations Elito and keep up the great work!

"I would like to thank the Belize Audubon Society for giving me this award and Mr. Joseph Waight for those kind and inspiring words on behalf of his family," commented Elito. "I also want to thank Mr Greg Smith for nominating me and of course my good friend Miguel Alamilla for those kind words. I sincerely appreciate it and accept it on behalf of my family and community who have always joined me in the many efforts that we have embarked upon, whether it is to protest or bring attention to illegal dredging, destroying of our mangroves, protection of our marine reserve, offshore oil exploration and beach cleanups, kayak race, softball tournaments for the kids and adults. I accept the award on behalf of my hometown San Pedro Belize. I am truly humbled by the outpouring of love and support that I have received this evening and for the past years. Thank you all."

Click here to read the rest of the article in the Ambergris Today

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Elito Arceo is the 2022 Winner of James Waight Conservation Award

The James A. Waight Conservation Award was presented by the Belize Audubon Society to Jose "Elito" Arceo on Wednesday night during a virtual ceremony.� The award was presented to the well-known San Pedrano by Cockscomb Basin Wildlife Sanctuary's Protected Areas Manager, Roberto Rivero. The conservation award is the hallmark event of the conservation community, held in the memory of the Audubon Society's first president, James Waight.� Arceo has organized beach cleanups, fostered the protection of mangroves and involved students in activities across the island, including the Ambergris Caye Eco-Challenge.

Jose Arceo, Winner, James Waight Award

"It felt nice to be recognized and it was� by the [Belize] Audubon Society and by Mr. Joseph Waight for those kind words on behalf of his family.� It was really nice, it felt really good.� It felt really good to have won the award."

Isani Cayetano

"What does this mean for you going forward, in terms of your continued efforts at conservation and environmental awareness?"

Jose Arceo

"Well, I won't ever stop.� With or without the award I will never stop to bring attention or highlight the many issues we have on this island, whether it's the conservation of the turtles, their protection, the cleanup efforts on the beaches and sometimes on the roads that we done.� And we have done this for many years, twenty plus, I guess.� So it just kinda gives me a new energy to continue doing this and also helping us to spread the word to protect and take care of our beautiful country we all call home which is Belize."

Channel 5

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
[Linked Image]

Islander Jose "Elito" Arceo recognized with James A. Waight Conservation Award

On Wednesday, February 16th, well-known San Pedrano Jose 'Elito' Arceo was recognized with the prestigious James A. Waight Conservation Award. The 36th edition of the event hosted by the Belize Audubon Society highlights outstanding Belizeans and their passionate efforts for conservation. Arceo is no stranger to the efforts of protecting and preserving Belize's natural resources, particularly its coastal and marine assets. As a local advocate for his hometown San Pedro Town, Ambergris Caye, he encourages the youth to take care of their island. Arceo frequently visits the northern part of the island, which is the nesting ground for endangered sea turtles every year. Arceo has denounced the ill behavior of persons who visit these remote areas and act irresponsibly by leaving behind their rubbish and threatening the sea turtle nesting grounds.

As a result, he has led beach clean-up efforts in these areas, pressing on the issue that improper garbage disposal is harmful to the sensitive environment and sea species. On other occasions, he drives these beaches and collects the trash left behind by islanders visiting on weekends. Arceo is also known for highlighting the importance of mangroves. These plants provide essential habitats for thousands of marine species, protect against erosion, and are natural filters of toxic substances in the water. He continues to protest activities such as illegal dredging and offshore oil exploration. In the past, Arceo spearheaded the popular Lagoon-Reef Eco-Challenge, a two-day 42-mile kayaking race. The primary purpose was to showcase and highlight the importance of the island's fragile ecosystem. These include mangrove areas, lagoon areas, flats, essential waterways, and the reef system.

Click here to read the rest of the article in the San Pedro Sun

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Conservation Award presented to Jose Arceo

Mr. Jose Elito Arceo, was honored with the prestigious James A. Waight Award for conservation in a virtual ceremony on Wednesday February 16th. The award was presented to him by Belize Audubon Society's (BAS) Cockscomb Basin Wildlife Sanctuary's Protected Areas Manager, Roberto Rivero.

Executive Director of BAS, Amanda Acosta, said while "James A. Waight laid the foundation for the society as we know it, 53 years ago; this year's winner takes to heart the organization's tagline of 'balancing people and the environment.' Arceo truly believes the values of ethics and conservation in this country as he passionately works to protect the natural resources in the community in which he lives."

The conservation award is a hallmark event of the conservation community that is held in the memory of one of the Belize Audubon Society's (BAS) founding member and first president, Mr. James A. Waight. It is bestowed to individuals or organizations in recognition of significant contribution, nationally or locally, to the conservation and enhancement of Belize's natural environment.

Elito was born on San Pedro, Ambergris Caye in a traditional fishing family. From his father, he learned that the sea, a valuable food source, also needed to be protected. As a businessman in the island's thriving, tourism-driven economy, Elito has worked towards creating a balance between development and conservation.

Arceo was nominated by Greg Smith, the "Turtle Man" of San Pedro, who is also the 1992 winner of the James A. Waight Conservation Award. Mr. Arceo has organized beach clean ups, fostered protection of mangroves and involved students in the island wide activities for many years including the Ambergris Caye, Eco Challenge. His involvement has encouraged and promoted community awareness of issues including offshore drilling. Fellow conservationist Miguel Alamilla points out that Arceo was a key stakeholder on the island for the expansion of the Hol Chan Marine Reserve. Elito continues to champion good business practices such as the implementation of Environmental Impact Assessments for developments that would otherwise negatively impact the island's ecosystem. The community beach clean ups are even more significant to health and economy today as the tide brings both sargassum and garbage to the island. He has also been at the forefront of protecting both bird and turtle nesting sites.

Arceo surmised that "We are a young nation. So, while we welcome development, we have to ensure that development is sustainable, so that people who come to our shores, come to enjoy the very same thing that we are actually promoting. So, we don't want to be looked at, as destroying the very same thing that makes us Belize."

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 318 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.