Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#554429 12/10/21 05:32 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Tonight, 7 months after the manslaughter by negligence of Superintendent Henry Jemmott, members of his family and the woman accused of his shooting death, Jasmine Hartin are still having to face each other in court.

That was the case again in San Pedro Magistrate's Court this morning as Hartin was set to receive final disclosure in that high profile criminal prosecution. But that didn't happen, instead, there was an adjournment. Here's how it all went down:

It's been a series of court dates for Jasmine Hartin. Some in which she's had the assuring presence of her attorney Dickie Bradley. And, some in which the mother of two who's been charged for manslaughter has had to go it alone. That was certainly the case last time and this morning. We asked her about it today.

Jasmine Hartin - Accused of Manslaughter
"That was stressful for me. That was back in August and I found out five minutes before that he wasn't gonna be making it, he had another matter in Belmopan but it was fine he told me we would receive another date, at the time I think I was expecting full disclosure not the partial and then today, they said that they didn't have it ready yet so it's going to be February 16th for the remaining disclosure."

But why wasn't final disclosure given today, on the date that it was set to be delivered? Hartin blames it on the prosecution:

Jasmine Hartin
"They still haven't finished creating whatever they're trying to create, there's a lot of inconsistency with the first round of disclosure so in my personal opinion without getting into trouble or saying too much I believe that they're up to something."

Sister of the deceased, Marie Jemmott naturally has another perspective.

Marie Jemmott Tzul - Sister of the deceased
"Well, that in itself, another day dragging out but however I look at it and if it's being rushed then we won't get the benefit but if they continue to take their time and do what they're supposed to do justice will be served."

The Elder Jemmott sister and a niece made an effort to travel to San Pedro this morning, clad in Jemmott T-shirts they sat in court hanging on the magistrate's every word.

Marie Jemmott Tzul
"It was very emotional for me, very emotional. I come to represent my brother and my family, me and my niece Henrietta, we will be here visiting, maybe sometime some other will come but it doesn't matter if no jury but God is watching and he will answer our prayers."

But the Jemmot's aren't the only ones praying for a positive outcome, so is Jasmine Hartin.

Jasmine Hartin
"This entire process has been extremely stressful like it's an emotional rollercoaster. I never know what I'm walking into, what tricks they have up their sleeves for me yet. I've had to learn to just go with the punches and try to stay positive, continue praying and that's all I can do."

She says that to wrap her head around her own case she's had to become her own true-crime expert.

Jasmine Hartin
"When I read through my disclosure there is so many inconsistencies that I feel, I don't know how I feel right now I just. I can't even prepare for it because I don't know what's going to happen and again through this process, I've had to learn to just take it day by day, all I can do is mentally prepare as much as possible get all my evidence together to counter their claims, and I've done all of that. So, I'm just kind of waiting and seeing what happens."

Marie Jemmott for her part is taking it one trial date at a time vowing to be there for every court proceeding related to the manslaughter by the negligence of her beloved brother.

Marie Jemmott Tzul
"I will come as long as they have the court case because I want to be there every step of the way. It doesn't matter how much time I have to come, I will be here. Once I can and have the health and strength."

And while that family is still in anguish here's what the woman at the center of their trial says about their ardent demand for justice.

Cherisse Halsall
"You and I had a discussion earlier about the word justice, what justice means, you've said that this was an accident. How do you get justice for an accident?"

Jasmine Hartin
"That's a good question, I don't know how to answer that because accidents happen and I don't know if you can ever have justice when you've lost someone you care about. So whether it's a fine, jail, you can't make up for that. That's never going to be the same."

For the common assault and drug charges, Hartin's trial date is set for February 16th, 2022.

On that day she will be given final disclosure in the case against her for manslaughter by negligence. A date for that trial has yet to be set.

Channel 7

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Jasmine Hartin: Full disclosure for Manslaughter by Negligence charge adjourned until February 2022

On Thursday, December 9th, Jasmine Hartin was to finalize disclosure in the proceedings regarding the Manslaughter by Negligence charge for the shooting death of Police Superintendent Henry Jemmott. She appeared at the San Pedro Magistrate Court without an attorney. The prosecution stated that the Director of Public Prosecution (DPP) had not forwarded the file, thus further delaying the trial process. The case was adjourned to February 16, 2022, when she will be provided with the final disclosure.

Jemmott's sister attended the hearing in San Pedro Town and was seemingly disappointed with the delay in the process. An emotional sister accompanied by the deceased niece briefly told reporters the family leaves everything to God. She is convinced Jemmott will get justice. For now, Hartin remains out on bail. She cannot leave the country until the case is resolved. She is also fighting for custody of her twins with her former partner Ashcroft. Currently, he has interim custody of their children, and Hartin can only see them under supervision.

Click here to read the rest of the article in the San Pedro Sun

Link Copied to Clipboard
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 139 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,206
Posts500,038
Members20,483
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.