Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#55531 08/01/02 11:10 AM
JT Offline
Here are some pictures of Ambergris Caye and Caye Caulker, it may give a better idea. I think SeaJay sums it up pretty well.
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b307e2afc4d9&notag=1

Johnboy - I'm thinking I may be in PDC after Labor Day, probably on a cruise ship. We haven't had any good charters out of Houston to Mexico this year, at least not like from Dallas and Continental is just a joke...I think somewhere between $700 - $800 for airfare alone. Still looking at Funjet for something.

#55532 08/01/02 11:16 AM
uhhh. little harsh on the sea grass. It merely keeps everything alive. It does not stink. we swim off lots of the beaches and piers. some areas have been cleared, others don't have a ton, its sparser and has little effect on swimming...

and there is trash everywhere? hardly. get real dude...

[This message has been edited by Marty (edited 08-01-2002).]

#55533 08/01/02 11:33 AM
S
S
DesertDiver...I have been coming to Belize for 11 years and swimming up and down the shore that entire time. I have never "smelled" anything funny coming from the sea grass. What book did you get that from?
The water is delightful and (unless its been roiled up by a storm) clear, around 80-84 degrees. Swimming water doesn't get any better. All the piers have stairs for people who want to use them to get in or out of the water.
The fellow who is more concerned about the size of the beach (as opposed to the water) might be disappointed, he might be happier going to one of the hotels on Placencia Peninsula, which does have bigger beaches and does not have sea walls (but there is still sea grass...it doesn't hurt you.)

Susan Guberman-Garcia, Attorney at Law. Phone: 510-792-2639
Fax/Voicemail:: 510-405-2016 Email: [email protected]
#55534 08/01/02 11:38 AM
Wow!!!! Great pix JT...You need to put them on a seperate thread so everybody can enjoy them......They are fabulous....
BTW--We got a really good deal from Funjet to Allegro Playacar.....

John
#55535 08/01/02 12:06 PM
D
D
Dont take my word for it, since I was actually there... Take the word of others that were there from trip reports on the internet...

"Water at the shore is shallow, and most areas have heavy seagrass, making swimming not particularly enjoyable."

"Some people had been concerned about sea grass, but you can easily spot the dark patches where it grows and swim around it. Even if you don't, it's just grass -- not really a problem in my book.

The beaches are fine for laying on, just make sure your hotel has someone to rake away the dead sea grass each day. In areas where it's not removed, it piles up and gets stinky. "

"Swimming off the beaches is also only fair, due to sea grass, "

"The beaches are just ok, as there is abundant sea grass immediately offshore, which you want to stay out of due to the marine life. Also, the water is very shallow out to quite a distance, so swimming isn't that great either"

on and on and on...

#55536 08/01/02 12:56 PM
E
E
I was letting this go to allow someone other than the owner to respond. Tropica is directly on the only natural walk-in swim beach in San Pedro. In 1999 Tropica and Banyan Bay were granted a permit to remove sea grass to also improve the access directly from the beach. Approximately 40 feet beyond the Tropica pier ( 220 Ft. ) is a natural sand bar about the size of a football field. Gentle waves break over the sandbar due to a cut in the reef. Depending on where you may be standing on the sandbar, it may be knee deep or over your head. Sea grass is common to all of San Pedro and the accumulation that washes up on the beach is especially active in our beach area due to a cut in the reef. When a tropical depression or other further out to sea activity is active, our sea grass accumulation on the beach is sometimes overwhelming. Every morning a 6 AM the Tropica grounds keeper rakes and removes the washup debris. The entire area in front of Tropica is a sandy bottom from entry to the furthest edge of the sand bar approximately 300 ft from the waters edge. Snorkeling from shore at Tropica is fun because of the water depth but uneventful as far as marine life and coral formation, in other words, virtually none. This beach area is called "Mar de Tumbo" ( Sea of the Rolling Waves ), in the early days and still is today the favorite swim beach of resident San Pedranos. The beach area itself is a stretch of approximately 1000 ft running from Banyan Bay on the north edge to Mata Rocks on the south edge. The premium area of this stretch as far as walk-in access is Banyan Bay to the South edge of Tropica. The sand bar is directly in front of Tropica. Approximately one mile south of town, a 25 minute beach walk or a $5 taxi ride. Laid back and away from the town crowds, Mar de Tumbo is the ideal spot for non-intimidated sunning and swimming. All beaches in San Pedro are public and if you are staying at a different accommodation in San Pedro, all are still welcome to visit and enjoy the beach area. Both Tropica and Banyan Bay have beach front restaurants and open air beverage centers. Hopefully I have made a constructive addition to this thread without sounding like an advertisement. Visit us at www.tropicabelize.com for more info and beach photos.

Warmest Regards

Tropica Beach Resort www.tropicabelize.com

#55537 08/01/02 01:14 PM
We were on AC for the first time in May. I had the same concerns about the beaches before we went. We stayed at Banana beach where they were doing construction and there was alot of sea grass washed up near the construction area. I personally did not detect a foul odor. AC is a beautiful place for many reasons--including the beaches. They are not as expansive as those in other locations, but there is a whole lot of atmosphere and no overcrowding and I appreciated that. I don't know about you, but sometimes I just need to go to a place where you're not stuck in the middle of thousands of people. If you don't like the sea grass or the texture of the sea bottom, wear water shoes.

#55538 08/01/02 01:28 PM
S
S
Silly me, but I guess its 'cause I'm from California, where we LIKE grass....Ummm...why would someone want to swim "around" grass? You are swimming around in delightful water, what do you care whether the water is over grass or sand? What's the problem with grass?
And who is the brain dead travel writer who recommends swimming around the grass "to avoid marine life?" Duhhhh,...a lot of folks think marine life is cool and some of us dummies even swim with our snorkels on so that we can see the "marine life" in the water as we swim. In fact, some folks even GO to Belize so they can get into the water and see "marine life."
That's my opinion...of course, I could be wrong.

Susan Guberman-Garcia, Attorney at Law. Phone: 510-792-2639
Fax/Voicemail:: 510-405-2016 Email: [email protected]
#55539 08/01/02 02:39 PM
S
S
We recently had a great time snorkeling off of the pier at Victoria House IN AND AROUND the sea grass! Imagine that! We saw several starfish and there were many fish and other creatures swimming all around. The sea grass hasn't been a problem for us on our 2 visits to AC. As stated earlier most of the hotels rake their beaches.

#55540 08/01/02 04:31 PM
Just wondering if you "non-believers" read the Tiger Woods article????????

John
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 293 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.